Hill starts loaded up ...

Spud

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a standard 1150 GS (2002 single spark) with the high 6th "overdrive" gearbox.
I've noticed occasionally when loaded up with camping gear or a pillion that steep hill starts are "difficult"
They seem to require lots of revs (clutch seems slow to "bite") and it seems a little unsympathetic to mechanical components ...

Is this a feature of this particular gearbox, is there a way round it, other than swapping the box, I presume for an Adventure one ?
The clutch does not slip in any other gear no matter the provocation, so hopefully, that's ok.

Some of this was admittedly on Hardknott and Wrynose passes, loaded up with camping gear over the last few days ......:rolleyes:

I think most bikes would find those particular set of circumstances to be challenging, can't see it being anything to do with your gear box. I have the same bike and have to slip the clutch on occasions, no big deal.:beer:

You have a lot of inertia to overcome - any bike would require prolonged and controlled clutch-slip.

Sure, with a dry clutch - you know all about it (the smell) - but it is normal and unavoidable.

Al

IIRC the 1150 gearboxes with the 'overdrive' 6th gear have a higher first than those with the lower (1:1) 6th gear.

That makes me feel better...
She's getting old and I don't want to abuse her :)

I fitted an 1100gs diff to mine, made the 6th gear very usable and 1st gear better too as slightly lowers the gearing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dont know if you have thought about one of GSJohn's replacement ECU chips but they certainly make for easier pulling away at low revs

Back
Top Bottom