RT and GSA

Thanks for that, appreciate it :beerjug: , good to have an owners experience, even better in comparison to the older model.

RBW.

Well I have both an 1150RT Oilhead and a 1200RT Wethead.
So the good is very good. (Engine and gearbox)
The bad:
Well, bodywork is fragile and owners need to be aware that in their ownership they will probably break a locating tab off here and there.
Washing is a lot more long winded than the 1150.
The switchgear (lefthand cluster) dip switch is too short and requires a more concious effort than on the 1150. I have fixed mine with an extension and it is now brilliant.
The screen is rubbish...fixed that with a Werks Quiet Ride - brilliant.
The seat is rubbish. WAAAY too uncomfortable for a mile muncher like this bike is.
Suspension is no where near as supple as that on my 1150. It doesn't make it bad, it is just...less good.
Storage spaces. What storage spaces? I am now having to intrude on my pannier and top box space for stuff that used to be buried away on the 1150. Things like compressor, puncture repair kit, Nuts bolts and cable ties, first aid kit, 1/2 litre of oil, binnoculars, ratchet strap, talcum powder (!), insect repellent, disc lock and a few other things too.
The headlight adjuster not readily available to hand.
Sat Nav should be a locked in feature.
Panniers are wider than the mirrors. This is a VERY bad thing for those of us who lane split or ride in cities. I have fixed this by replacing the pannier lids with slim line items from Hornig.
Paint finish on engine casings, stands etc is much poorer.
General access for panel removal is much more long winded, but really shouldn't need to be if they had used interlocking panels and push in panels.

So, this doesn't make it a terrible machine, it is just that it could be SO much better.

I had a 90th edition RT, last of the air cooled, rode 6/7000 miles in a year, but sold it, found it bland. I have since had a Multistrada an F800GS and R1200GSA.

The only issue with the GSA is the wife getting on/off.

I find myself thinking about an RT, not convinced but a new fully loaded RT might generate a stirring in the wallet later in the summer.

Yesterday while the GSA was having its 18,000 service, fork recall and rear brake pads, I took out an RT sport and although it’s vastly improved since we had one, it didn’t tick enough boxes.

The GSAP, Hill start control, heated seat, better handlebar heat control and central locking were very nice and I would spec, but I still found I was wrestling the bike through the twisties so it’s not for us.

But enjoyed the ride.

So I guess I’ve the ‘other’ opinion.

I’ve had 2x 1150GS, a 1200RT (2006) and recently upgraded to the new GSA

LOVED it, but I found I was missing the ‘refined comfort’ of the RT.

I eventually traded in the GSA for a new RT and I m really happy that I did.

Things I prefer on the RT over the GSA...

Topbox - The RT’s topbox is huge AND pretty darn nice. Yes, you can get big top boxes for the GSA, yes, you also have panniers (on both) but I prefer to ride without panniers (for better filtering.. and a narrow garage!) and yes, it’s expensive, but it’s so plush and even has an interior light - I have the brake light kit fitted too. Love it.

Dash - I bought my RT before the TFT dash GSAs were available - I thought the LCD dash of the GSA was outdated and actually hard to read. The RT’s dash is great!

Weather protection - on the RT I feel far more cosseted than on the GSA. The electric screen is wonderful and the heated seat and grips together make you feel virtually weatherproof.

Cleaning - Yes, cleaning. The GSA is a bitch to keep clean. Not important to everyone, but I like my bikes looking nice. I NEVER go off road and don’t care to just ‘let it get dirty’. The GSA has som many ‘nooks and crannies’ it hard, and a pain, to keep clean.

Clean lines - I just like the look of the RT - the GSA to me is all a bit ‘bits stuck on here and there’ where as the RT is all clean lines, wires tucked away, dash nice and composed... again a personal choice.

Accessories - Again, similar to the above, I always thought things like aux lights, panniers and GPS look ‘stuck on’ the GSA whereas they’re smoothly integrated to the RT. And again, that’s just my personal opinion.

Image - Each to their own, but I always felt on my GSA that I wasn’t using it for its intended purpose. Kinda like when you see people drinking around London in Land Rover defenders covered in mud, it can be all a bit ‘image’... though that’s clearly not fair to those who DO use their GSAs for off-roading or touring. For me, since I now work from home and not in central London, my bike’s a road-focussed runaround - I can do the shopping on it in extreme comfort and then shoot across the country or up to town for meetings if needs be.

So, I love my RT. And filtering, is NO different on the RT to the GSA. They’re a different shape, but equally wide. The trick is just experience. You’ll never filter like a sportsbike, but really I’ve never been prevented from filtering through a gap too small to a point where I’ve wished for a smaller bike. Yes, you do occasionally have to wait for a gap to open wider, but it’s rare.

But, as has been said previously, you HAVE to try them back to back and see for yourself.

Horses for courses ;)

Yesterday while the GSA was having its 18,000 service, fork recall and rear brake pads, I took out an RT sport and although it’s vastly improved since we had one, it didn’t tick enough boxes.

The GSAP, Hill start control, heated seat, better handlebar heat control and central locking were very nice and I would spec, but I still found I was wrestling the bike through the twisties so it’s not for us.

But enjoyed the ride.

That’s really interesting... I find the opposite -while neither are ‘lumbering’ in feel, the RT for me felt WAY sportier/ lighter

That’s really interesting... I find the opposite -while neither are ‘lumbering’ in feel, the RT for me felt WAY sportier/ lighter

For many of the reasons you listed in the post above I wanted a new RT, I used my old one for travelling to meetings a fair bit (as I do the GSA) but somehow it felt more car like/professional.

But like my 90th edition RT, the latest RT had me feeling worn out after a couple of hours, I just don’t understand it as they are commonly used for everyday big miles.

For many of the reasons you listed in the post above I wanted a new RT, I used my old one for travelling to meetings a fair bit (as I do the GSA) but somehow it felt more car like/professional.

But like my 90th edition RT, the latest RT had me feeling worn out after a couple of hours, I just don’t understand it as they are commonly used for everyday big miles.

Worn out, really? I find my RT the most comfy bike I’ve ever owned

Isn’t it nice we’re all different :)

(BTW, I know everyone says they’re useless over 30mph, but I do wish I had the radio in mine)

I recently changed from a 2017 RT LE to a lowered GSA.

Personally, and it is just my opinion, I prefer the GSA for the everyday commute and run around but I miss the RT for the long motorway hauls, the electric screen and heated seats, so the weather protection.

Why cant the GSA have heated seats and an electronic screen?

Both are brilliant bikes and I'd be happy with either.

The heated handlebar controls on the RT are much more adjustable

My twincam RT has a Sargent seat and I find I can sit in it for hours upon hours and not get fatigued. It's like an armchair on wheels. Weird.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

My twincam RT has a Sargent seat and I find I can sit in it for hours upon hours and not get fatigued. It's like an armchair on wheels. Weird.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The standard seat was plenty comfortable, the manoeuvring it in the drive was easier than the GSA, it was riding through twisties that I found tiring.

Back
Top Bottom