Starter motor querie

Spud

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My 2002, 1150 GS has developed a bit of a habit of the starter motor spinning, but not engaging every time. It appears to be worse when hot (no idea why it would be) and as yet can't remember it ever doing it when starting from cold.
I'm away abroad in a couple of weeks, and don't really want to be having issues with it, so happy to take advice and replace if need be.
I have pulled this starter out and cleaned around the bendix and shaft, a couple of times and all seems well for a little while.

Any advice, also the best replacement if people think that is the required.
Cheers Spud

I'd guess is the clutch...I mean starter clutch/Bendix. At least this is the positive outlook version

It takes less than 5 min to take the starter off. Do that. Get some brake cleaner (aerosol) give the Bendix a thorough clean with that. Add some light oil to the mech (I used bicycle chain lube -expensive version). Reinstall.

You'll know quickly if that was the issue. And it'll take you 20min...

I'll give it a go. It did seem to cure it for a while last time, so I'm hoping for the same again.
Just wanted to check there wasn't anything particular I should be looking for....
Cheers

And while you're at it, replace the brushes, then you have a fully refurbed starter motor.

I've got a set I'm not going to use if you want them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Spud, I had exactly the same problem. It started in South of France 3 weeks ago in 34c heat. Yesterday I took it out and gave it a good clean and sprayed with WD40. All is well again and the brushes looked fine even at 98,000mls! (never been change)

Sorry for the delay in replying. Took it out, cleaned and lubed. All seems well again after a weekend around Wales...
Thanks for the kind offer Nin, perhaps someone else would be in greater need first ��
Thanks again everyone

Back
Top Bottom