F800GS - pre vs post 2013

spooon

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello there.

[Apologies in advance if this has been discussed before; a quick search on the forum hasn't turned up anything]

After having been riding my SV650 (first bike) for a couple of years and getting a bad back/arms/neck/hands after circa 30 mins, I've been thinking (quite a lot) about making the leap to a used F800GS. My dad has a 13 plate 1200GS and it would be nice to accompany him on some longer trips with a bit more comfort; I'm supposed to be young and fit but my SV doesn't make me feel that way...

After looking initially, I've realised that the GS bikes seem to keep their value well, which is good but means I'm looking at spending a fair amount for a used one - I love the look and sound of the F800GS and am now determined to get one.

However, I've read that lots of the early bikes came with plenty of problems and as I have very little or no mechanical experience (or money) to fix these problems, have been looking at post-2013 models which I believe(?) addressed lots of these problems.

These are obviously more expensive and so could anyone help me determine what differences are between the pre- and post-2013 models and whether the post '13 is worth it? I imagine most riding will be road based but would look to do some light off-road (dirt tracks etc.) where possible.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

I have had 2 X 650 & a 700GS twins.
Which use the same engine as the 800 albeit less power, all have been super reliable.

The 700 is way better than both 650 's being a 13 reg with all the upgrades..

I don't know anybody that has had any real problems with the F series twins, yes the rotors can burn out but that's only a 100 notes to sort..

I would imagine a bike with less electrikery would give you less problems going forward.....

But BMW have the F series well sorted...

What Ash says :thumb

Have an early F800 (April 2008) 130,000 miles, no issues. OK a few head bearings, but no corrosion and no issues :D

Doesn't use/burn oil, all valve clearances bang on and never required adjustment .... so buy one if you see one and it feels right :thumb

:beerjug:

I have the newer F800GS and most changes are cosmetic the stator is the only real mechanical improvement, the newer compared to the old switch gear is a step backwards in design and build quality it has never failed but feels crap

Reliability same as all the rest of the 800cc twin models seem bullet proof the ESA suspension is not worth paying extra for its the rear only, full stand and heated grips are worthwhile options to have

I had both a 2011 & 2015, if I was looking for a used one it wouldn't worry me which I bought.

I would say you really want a centre stand for any bike with a chain, not sure I've seen one without. Depending on you height, a touring screen, I had the OEM one and was very pleased with it. I found the stock seat was shockingly bad and bought a comfort seat, but later changed it for a Corbin.

I'd try and get a machine with LED indicators and upgraded headlights.

If you buy from anyone other than a Motorrad dealer carefully check the head race bearings, any notchiness or slop insist on them being fixed.

They are great bikes.

I have the newer F800GS and most changes are cosmetic the stator is the only real mechanical improvement, the newer compared to the old switch gear is a step backwards in design and build quality it has never failed but feels crap

Reliability same as all the rest of the 800cc twin models seem bullet proof the ESA suspension is not worth paying extra for its the rear only, full stand and heated grips are worthwhile options to have

I like the ESA rear shock, the ride is so much better on my 13 reg than both my other ones & as its only to soften or stiffen the shock, unlike the bigger BMW bikes that go up & down & can give problems...
But then mine came with it, so whether I would pay extra on a new bike is questionable....

pm me if your interested in a 14 plate 800gs 5k mls full spec inc Akra and luggage mint condition

Thanks for all of your info/tips guys - much appreciated. It sounds like the stator and wheel/head bearings are all things to consider or check when buying used (pre 2013).

With regard to the switchgear, I was under the impression that it was adjusted post 2013 to be more ergonomic (i.e. indicator controls all on left hand bar).

Will carry on with my search!

pm me if your interested in a 14 plate 800gs 5k mls full spec inc Akra and luggage mint condition

I can't work out how to pm (new to this forum) - perhaps because i'm not a paid member?? I would hazard a guess though that your bike may be a bit on the pricey side for me! :fiddle

Thanks for all of your info/tips guys - much appreciated. It sounds like the stator and wheel/head bearings are all things to consider or check when buying used (pre 2013).

With regard to the switchgear, I was under the impression that it was adjusted post 2013 to be more ergonomic (i.e. indicator controls all on left hand bar).

Will carry on with my search!
Switch gear was changed so the indicators are the conventional layout but the feel of the new switches is not as good as the BMW old system. When you see both types you will understand whats changed.

I agree the switchgear is not as rugged but at least it's the same as what you will be used to in terms of layout on the Suzuki.
The seat is awful - classic enduro looks instead of function so budget money replacing it if you get the same sore backside.
Quality is generally OK but as others have said the head bearings can go alarmingly quickly (mine with less than 9K miles). I know the F800GS is the more popular model but I'd say unless you're 6ft+ and want to off-road, consider the F700GS. It has slightly less power but is smoother and less vibey, has tubeless tyres, the same bits and pieces (ignore the upside down fork on the 800 as it's no better than the right way up fork in the 700) plus a used one will be approx £1K cheaper, all things considered. The F800GS is quite tall, so for me commuting the 700 is by far the more practical bike.

I have had a 2013 F700GS since new, the switch gear was replaced during a service free of charge and the side stand switch was also modified. 36,000 miles later and used all year round no complaints. Suggest before winter a thorough clean then ACF 50 all over.

I agree the switchgear is not as rugged but at least it's the same as what you will be used to in terms of layout on the Suzuki.
The seat is awful - classic enduro looks instead of function so budget money replacing it if you get the same sore backside.
Quality is generally OK but as others have said the head bearings can go alarmingly quickly (mine with less than 9K miles). I know the F800GS is the more popular model but I'd say unless you're 6ft+ and want to off-road, consider the F700GS. It has slightly less power but is smoother and less vibey, has tubeless tyres, the same bits and pieces (ignore the upside down fork on the 800 as it's no better than the right way up fork in the 700) plus a used one will be approx £1K cheaper, all things considered. The F800GS is quite tall, so for me commuting the 700 is by far the more practical bike.

Real world power wise there is no noticeable difference between the 700 and 800 the 800 rides poor roads better in my opinion.

I agree the 700 is the better road bike the 800 is effected by windy conditions more than the 700

Thanks for the input guys. Got some things to weight up!

Back
Top Bottom