Five days in Romania

we are getting the motorail back to Dusseldorf from Vienna, did you secure your bikes to the train yourselves or was this done for you?

The staff strap the bikes down for you , we helped them unstrap them .

Make sure you wear your helmet riding your bike onto the train . As told earlier , I can imagine horrific head injuries if you catch your head on the very low roof .

1. As one of my British friends commented while visiting for the first time a few weeks ago, "Jesus, half these girls look like they've just stepped off a James Bond film set"

Just like Cluj too .

Great report, hoping to get as far as Romania in September depending on how much time we spend in Croatia, some useful info to use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great RR and pics Donnie and some interesting and useful tips from yourself and other contributors to the thread, a great read :bow:thumby:
A (possibly silly) question regarding the motorail if I may........a few of us are heading to Austria and Slovenia via France and Germany etc in early September we are getting the motorail back to Dusseldorf from Vienna, did you secure your bikes to the train yourselves or was this done for you?

As jetjock says, they have a gang that works its way along the train strapping the bikes down then another one at the other end to untie them. We left them too it as space is pretty tight.

On another note, I thought we'd be off within twenty minutes but it takes about 45mins as once all passengers are off, they have to move the train to the ramp area. This is on the same platform but they take their time so don't expect the slick efficiency of the eurotunnel.

Finally, the more stuff you can leave on your bike the better. Space is tight in the cabins. I crammed as much riding kit into my panniers as poss. Any soft luggage has to be removed from the bikes. Cabins take up to three people, or up to six if they double them up. If there were only two of you then obviously you'd have more storage room.

The staff strap the bikes down for you , we helped them unstrap them .

Make sure you wear your helmet riding your bike onto the train . As told earlier , I can imagine horrific head injuries if you catch your head on the very low roof .

Duly noted thanks :thumby:

As jetjock says, they have a gang that works its way along the train strapping the bikes down then another one at the other end to untie them. We left them too it as space is pretty tight.

On another note, I thought we'd be off within twenty minutes but it takes about 45mins as once all passengers are off, they have to move the train to the ramp area. This is on the same platform but they take their time so don't expect the slick efficiency of the eurotunnel.

Finally, the more stuff you can leave on your bike the better. Space is tight in the cabins. I crammed as much riding kit into my panniers as poss. Any soft luggage has to be removed from the bikes. Cabins take up to three people, or up to six if they double them up. If there were only two of you then obviously you'd have more storage room.

Thanks donnie :thumby:

And they provide the straps.

I suspected that might be the case, thanks again :thumby:

Better late than never: It can get blimmin' hot in Hungary / Romania etc...during the summer months. It was low to mid thirties every day during our trip, and when kitted up, that's not pleasant. Don't let that stop you going BUT, you will get hot and therefore you will dehydrate. It creeps up on you so prevention is better than cure. When you refuel, buy some water too to keep on your bike. Before you go, buy some Hydration tablets like: SIS Go Hydro. (All good supermarkets stock them). Pop one into a litre of water and you're set.

I'm the first to admit that I'm not used to riding in such temperatures but doing this definitely kept me safe and well.

Ride safe

Donnie

Better late than never: It can get blimmin' hot in Hungary / Romania etc...during the summer months. It was low to mid thirties every day during our trip, and when kitted up, that's not pleasant. Don't let that stop you going BUT, you will get hot and therefore you will dehydrate. It creeps up on you so prevention is better than cure. When you refuel, buy some water too to keep on your bike. Before you go, buy some Hydration tablets like: SIS Go Hydro. (All good supermarkets stock them). Pop one into a litre of water and you're set.

I'm the first to admit that I'm not used to riding in such temperatures but doing this definitely kept me safe and well.

Ride safe

Donnie

I used a camel back full of water and strapped on the pillion seat for refreshments on the move

Really enjoyed this RR thanks! We've been down to Transylvania 3 times now and each time stayed with an English couple who live in a little Saxon village about 20 minutes from Sibiu. They offer a full package for the area, trips out accommodation etc with gourmet food provided for not a lot of money and also have apartments in Sibiu for rent. Sibiu makes a great base and it's ridiculously cheap by our standards.

Checkout http://www.secrettransylvania.co.uk I can heartily recommend them for accommodation or a full family holiday (Its a great place for kids!).

Enjoyed your RR.
I hope to visit Romania this summer as I didn't manage it last year.

Ride safe

Donnie

I tend to just stop when I'm ready and then find somewhere to stay.
Did you pre-book all your hotels?

Yes, I prebook all accommodation. I like to know where I'm going to end up each evening and as I usually have a group of between five and seven guys, it's easier to find suitable hotels in advance.

Back
Top Bottom