Bean-can

I managed to fit a Boyer Micro Power in my can.

I was trying to unlock a poorly performing twin plug set up with bodged bob weights and lobster claw coils so the fact that Boyer unit included coils was a big factor.

The Boyer comes complete with coils and plug leads, for a twin plugged bike has a better digital curve, and as a bonus with the coils and leads it costs less than the Siemens does without .

That was eight years ago and it has been fit and forget, although I did follow the instructions, something most motorcyclists seem reluctant to do------------.

Motoworks does a solid state advance and retard module that is made by Siemens. It normally comes with a hall effect trigger, to keep the price down you could open your bean can and fix the advance/retard plate so it does not move , then you will be able to use just the new amplifier. Cost £50-60. But it does take care of sticking bob weights, worn pivots and weakened springs so worth while, I went for the trigger assembly too. It has the hall trigger mounted on the top with two screws so easy to change at the side of the road should the occasion arise. marketed as Alpha in Israel and red centre in Australia. just plug and play.
http://www.motoelekt.com/ignition.htm

https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=5&NU=15&M=20&Ct=IA&SbCt=BA_15_20_IA_40

Yes, but it is a simple analog unit, same technology Boyer was using on their basic unit over fifty years ago .

Most modern systems like Boyers Micro-digital or Micropower are a bit more sophisticated, and do a lot more than a analog system can do.

Fitted my electronic bean can and the bike starts and ticks over fine but does not like to rev at all. Lots of popping and banging going on. A bit pissed off TBH so I'll fit the original back on tomorrow and send it back form whence it came. Timing is perfect and seems to advance but I guess its going too far.

Did you fit the specific ICU as well (the small black box that controls the ignition curve)? or only the bean can?

The Specific ICU was fitted. The bike ran fine and settled down to a very balanced tick over. Timing spot on. Rev the bike to 4 thou it pops bangs and misfires. Its advancing the spark but cant see by how much. The electrical plug fit on the replacement ICU is appaling however. Nowhere near as snug as the OEM. Tried it with both ICU to see if it was that but the symtoms were identical.Put the old bean can back as I need wheels at the moment and it now runs fine again. Wish I'd not started buggering around TBH. Rang the Vendors and they have asked me to return the item for testing.

I'd like a spare one (79-80 version) if you have such a thing - how much?

(Addressed to mikeyboy :) )

Had the bean can apart today, cleaned everything up and lubed the atu. But Managed to break the plastic washer that lives between the outside of the can and the drive widget that locates in the slots in the end of the camshaft.

Any idea where I might get hold of such a thing? Motor works/bins don’t seem to list them :(

Back
Top Bottom