R100RS Motorsport special edition number query

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirby morgan

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone know how I can find out what special edition number my bike is (only 200 made, apparently).
I've tried a couple of sites e.g. vin decoder, but cannot seem to find anything to identify where it comes within the 200 bikes made.
Nothing shown on the V5 or rider manuals. Has the unique vin & engine number starting with 608.....
Anyone any idea please.

Thanks for the reply. Tried this site and it gives month & year of manufacture, but not the special edition number.
Anyone else got any suggestion.

That's the original Motorsport run with ATE calipers and louvred centre fairing panel? White panniers? Rumoured to be a cancelled Oz polis order which BMW re-specified and hyped as a special dealer ride away before they introduced the updates (lighter flywheel, Brembos etc), in 1980/81. What with later versions also called Motorsports and copied efforts, getting a genuine one verified is going to be tricky. Surely someone out there will have done a register?

Edit: try asking here ... https://www.bmwgroup-classic.com/en/offers-and-services/bmw-classic-parts-shop.html

I thought it was a Swedish police order.....then some people thought Belgium..
BMW made lots of special editions, usually to sell the runout of a model when introducing new models with major changes, so in 1980 and in 1984. Most of the special editions were cosmetic changes only, so I wouldn't be paying a premium for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spoke to Mick Bar about this years ago. Mick was a BMW dealer in the 1980's. Mick said the RS bikes were stuck to the floor and the LTD paintjobs were an attempt to get them to move.

The cancelled orders being referred to were the Motorsports with the s fairing.

The genuine motorsports had blue seats

That's the original Motorsport run with ATE calipers and louvred centre fairing panel? White panniers? Rumoured to be a cancelled Oz polis order which BMW re-specified and hyped as a special dealer ride away before they introduced the updates (lighter flywheel, Brembos etc), in 1980/81. What with later versions also called Motorsports and copied efforts, getting a genuine one verified is going to be tricky. Surely someone out there will have done a register?

Edit: try asking here ... https://www.bmwgroup-classic.com/en/offers-and-services/bmw-classic-parts-shop.html

There is a Register - maybe only US models - I followed it when I was interested

I still have vin: 6089696 and reg no TJJ88T - UK Bikes were registered in 1978

If I remember correctly the Swedish, Belgian and S African rumours related to other RS's

stored somewhere in the barn - not looked at it for 8 years

as indicated blue seat cover is the giveaway

white panniers - I believe that they were the normal black panniers resprayed - I think and maybe was told by a BM dealer

I had lots of info - when I was interested - I'll try to find it

here is mine, totally original - 5,000 miles - I think

I never liked riding mine, compared with say the R80 mono or the /7 R90S

RS.jpg

RS_2.jpg

RS_3.jpg

I bought mine from a guy who lived in the N West some years ago

BillN, hi my VIN number 6089689, blue seat, white panniers. also bought from the North West area.

are your panniers spray painted white over the normal BM black ones? - mine are

That's the original Motorsport run with ATE calipers and louvred centre fairing panel? White panniers? Rumoured to be a cancelled Oz polis order which BMW re-specified and hyped as a special dealer ride away before they introduced the updates (lighter flywheel, Brembos etc), in 1980/81.

Nope, see Robs post below.

The cancelled orders being referred to were the Motorsports with the s fairing.

The genuine motorsports had blue seats

:thumb2

Panniers were white mouldings, not painted.

The other sought after RS were the early 1977 very light metallic silvery blue bikes, with wire wheels which had a blue pinstripe around the rim and blue anodised brake calipers. Supposedly 10 BHP more than the later bikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom