G450X engine case corrosion?

josh2503

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Whilst cleaning my G450X the other day I noticed what looks to be some corrosion on the engine casing (see link below to view photograph).

The bike is a 2010 and has covered approx. 5000 miles and I've always taken good care of it (washed after every ride and more often than not treated with "protect and shine" or similar).

I know these engines were supposedly supplied by Kymco, but surely designed and built to BMW quality standards? Surprised and disappointed.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks,
Josh

Photograph here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/7uvEv1yYil9A0ZY62

BMW quality standards aren't what they once were aparently. There are plenty of threads on here with people experiencing engine casing corrosion on very young GS's and subsequently getting their engines replaced. I don't think you'll have a lot of luck complaining about corrosion on a seven year old off road bike though unfortunately. These engines were made for BMW under license by Kymco in Taiwan and I must say that I cant fault mine.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply. I also have a feeling I would struggle to get any success from a complaint. Just a little surprised and disappointed, always associated BMW motorcycles with good quality. I must say though, except for the corrosion, I cannot fault the motor either. My bikes covered over 5000 miles and about 200 hours from new and (touch wood) it would appear the engine is still going very strong.

From what I've read/heard, a lot of people were put off this bike because of BMW's tight servicing schedule? E.g. 10 hours for a basic service (oil and filter change), 20 hours for valve clearances, etc. Surely this is for competition use? I've never raced my bike, just gets used for green lane riding and I do a basic service every 500 miles and a full service every 1000. Have had no problems up to now. CCM use the same engine in their GP 450 and I understand they give a 5000 mile basic service interval ( at the standard power setting i.e. without power plug ).

Regards,
Josh

Back
Top Bottom