Montana 600 and GBDiscoverer map

AustinW

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I moved the GBdiscoverer files to a folder on my Mac so that the tile limit wasn't broached when I installed a load of OSM files for my recent Euro trip. I assumed that when I got back it would simply be case of removing the card with the OSM files on and moving back the GBdiscoverer files. Oh no it isn't.

Any ideas?

With my Montana attached to the Mac Discoverer is visible on Basecamp. So its there and in Basecamp Maps menu it says its unlocked.

Garmin Mapinstaller says it cant find any unlocked maps on my device.

Yet when I switch on the Montana it says "cant unlock maps"

Garmin Express says there is no purchased content on the device. (GBDiscoverer was purchased as a download when Igot the device back in 2012).

and YES the files are in the Garmin folder.

The mapping files I moved are a large file called Discoverer 50000 v2.img. And what I assume are the linked licence and unlock files as they are timed and dated the same: D241020A.GMA and D241020A.UNL. These files are now dated 22 May 2017 which would be when I moved them. Not sure if the files get re-dated each time they are accessed or that my MAC re-dated them when I dropped them in the folder.

I have sent a service request to Garmin but it will be a day or two at least before they reply. Help here appreciated.

Is the GB map going in to the Garmin directory on your device's memory or the device's micro-sd card?

Sorted :thumb2 I renamed the .unl and the .gma files to be the same as the .img file and it all seems to be OK now. I am sure I haven't renamed the files at any other time though. :nenau

I think that Macs renames files it does not recognise to .txt or similar, this may have been your problem.

Back
Top Bottom