Here we go again - SP3 makeover - freshen up.

Ash,

I missed this thread until today and I've just read it all the way through. What a great story you tell - not just about the great job you did on the bike, but your own story too. Lots of terrific b4 and afters and I loved the two pictures at the end of you and your mate in 2003 and then last September. The work you do in spite of the results of your injuries is testament to a real strength of character and resilience in the face of adversity; and that's the real measure of a man. I've just joined your fan club and want to find an old Guzzi! :beerjug:

I’d hate to see this classic Guzzi turned into a ‘cafe racer’ or whatever... because, once they’re gone they’re gone. As it is, it’s a capable, characterful tourer, and the restoration was a ‘labour of love’, done frugally and excellently. It got to Mandello... it’s a bit of Guzzi history. As a ‘custom’ it’ll just be a hipsters toy...
Just my 2 cents, but I feel the same about Evo Harley’s, Airheads, and big block Guzzi’s.
I’m probably totally out of step with people here... but it’s just how I feel.

I’d hate to see this classic Guzzi turned into a ‘cafe racer’ or whatever... because, once they’re gone they’re gone. As it is, it’s a capable, characterful tourer, and the restoration was a ‘labour of love’, done frugally and excellently. It got to Mandello... it’s a bit of Guzzi history. As a ‘custom’ it’ll just be a hipsters toy...
Just my 2 cents, but I feel the same about Evo Harley’s, Airheads, and big block Guzzi’s.
I know exactly where you are coming from David,:thumb
Nearly all of my specials have been built from derelict bikes or just the basic parts from breakers.normally a bike no one has an interest in.
The big problem is whilst some,may say it’s a shame to dismantle or modify these bikes,only some have any real value,
For example,R90S
Leman ,
g/s
Basic or Kalahari
Etc etc
So the poor relatives will just continue to rot.
It has given reason for the less popular models,
RT
V50
Spada
California
To be worth actually restoring.
Without the custom scene,or hipster trends some of the old bikes are nothing.
Think about the dull old jap bikes that have a following,
Cx500
Xs yams.
And of course we all modify our bikes anyway,
How many Harley’s are as they left the shop.?
As much as we look at these bikes with rose tinted glasses .
Not many peeps are fighting over each other to buy them.
I’m not looking to buy this bike to sell,
I’ve had a few tasters,outomunches leman,your 1000sp
Shit,I had a poster of a mk5 leman on my wall as a teenager.
Given time and a whole load of work, this bike will outlive all of us:clap

I kind of agree with you,

There are many Moto Guzzi California 1100i’s that are only a couple of Thousand to buy, not as rare, are the same Tonti frame, come with spoked wheels, and anything you do to them is going to improve the look of, new tank and seat and you wouldnt recognise one.

However don’t listen to me with my lemans 2 cafe :D

I know exactly where you are coming from David,:thumb
Nearly all of my specials have been built from derelict bikes or just the basic parts from breakers..................................
Given time and a whole load of work, this bike will outlive all of us:clap

My POV is everything you posted but on steroids :D

I really don't give a feck and am not precious at all about a bike. They were built as commodities. Lumps of engineered metal. Built to be used. If somebody wants to alter a bike and use it good on them :)

.........and don't get me started on people that buy bikes as investments and / or restore them to within inches of their lives..............

Stop being a miserable old curmudgeon David :D

Oh, did I mention I'm doing a full resto on my Frontera? :D

Andres

2nded

I kind of agree with you,

There are many Moto Guzzi California 1100i’s that are only a couple of Thousand to buy, not as rare, are the same Tonti frame, come with spoked wheels, and anything you do to them is going to improve the look of, new tank and seat and you wouldnt recognise one.

However don’t listen to me with my lemans 2 cafe :D

There is a good reason there aren’t many of these around!
No fecker bought them new,
Now no one really wants them when they are nearly 30 years old,
You all had plenty of chance to buy it ,not only when ash sold it but also when peeping tom offered it for sale,no one did:confused:
If any one wants to step up to the mark and buy it to love and cherish I’ll take your money and wait for the next one to come along.
You have till autumn unless my angle grinder gets bored,.:D:D

Now no one really wants them when they are nearly 30 years old, ...
My own Cali 3 (fully faired jobby) is a case.
apparently 40 were brought into the U.K. Many sat in the showroom for a long time and had to be discounted to shift them.
Many years ago I asked Pete in 'Reboot Guzzi Spares' how often he'd been asked for fairing parts. "Never, not once!" was his reply!
Whether liked or not - Mikey speaks the (sad :( ) truth.
Personally, my only issue is if a Bike is taken off the road to sit in a garage and NOT Be Used! It deprives SOMEone of the joy of riding it.
I dont care what they look like, what 'clothes' they're wearing - if it's a good ride. ;)
... this does not apply just to Bikes either. :augie

It's a bloody big bike & very biased to touring.

And sadly do not fetch the price they should.

It wouldn't be the easiest bike to cafe racer / custom, because of the electric dials, fairing mounted dash, built in headlight etc.

Had it been easy to convert I would of done it, but health / limbs are not good these days & it would of been just to much for me sadly.

But I'm more than sure Mikey would make a great job of it. :clap :clap :clap

Its got great bones underneath that barn door fairing.

In some ways it would be a shame to convert it but in all honesty it's never going to be an everyday bike in its present gize & if it means it get used albeit in a different way, then it's better than being a garage queen.
Like it was for many year b4 I got it. ( from 1995 to 2017 )

I did think about having it back, but I did what I bought it for & it's just to big for me now.
It is a genuine low mileage bike, that I went through to take me back to the factory & other than the rev counter -
( due to lucas Rita ignition ) everything works great.

And will certainly pick it heals up & motor along if needed. ( a genuine 120 MPH bike )

Will eagerly watch the conversion when & if Mikey gets around to it..

:thumb

Now no one really wants them when they are nearly 30 years old,
You all had plenty of chance to buy it ,not only when ash sold it but also when peeping tom offered it for sale,no one did:confused:
If any one wants to step up to the mark and buy it to love and cherish I’ll take your money and wait for the next one to come along.
You have till autumn unless my angle grinder gets bored,.:D:D

Nailed it, in one :D

Andres

If you do it quickly he will never now as he is currently on a dogging tour of the South West :p

Ash sees all... :rob

Having a horrid time here.. ;)

Piccies -
Van & XC
Boscastle
Tintagel Castle
Bikes fuel consumption....

Can't imagine doing all the tiny 30% uphill & downhill single track roads on a SP3...:eek:

Let alone the heat the engine generates & comes up through the fairing onto yer legs at low speed in the hot weather.. :tears

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1529503070507.jpg
    FB_IMG_1529503070507.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 240
  • FB_IMG_1529609407954.jpg
    FB_IMG_1529609407954.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 235
  • FB_IMG_1529609545106.jpg
    FB_IMG_1529609545106.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 234
  • FB_IMG_1529609649132.jpg
    FB_IMG_1529609649132.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 225
  • FB_IMG_1529609652772.jpg
    FB_IMG_1529609652772.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 248

I've never understood this attitude. Wouldn't exactly the same thing have been said about us (greasers, hippys, whatever) when we were doing our thing with bikes when we were younger. It ignited a spark within and here we are still enjoying motorcycles. Why is our enjoyment anymore relevant or deserving than anyone elses?

Anyway, most stock Guzzis are butt ugly and should be chopped up and at least tried to be turned into something with aesthetic qualities (apart from old Eldorados obvs cos they is gorgeous – as the prices reflect). I'm probably out of step with that on here too though to be fair :D

Well... I rode down to Mikeyboy’s place this afternoon, to have a look at the Guzzi. And all I can say is, well, it *is* ‘90’s style fugly, and actually the best thing that can happen to it is either a). Use it as an all year ‘round hack, or b). Turn it into a late Le Mans inspired road burner. Whatever happens, it’ll live to ride another day!

Well... I rode down to Mikeyboy’s place this afternoon, to have a look at the Guzzi. And all I can say is, well, it *is* ‘90’s style fugly, and actually the best thing that can happen to it is either a). Use it as an all year ‘round hack, or b). Turn it into a late Le Mans inspired road burner. Whatever happens, it’ll live to ride another day!

You didn't fancy saving it from being covered in beard grooming products and latte stains then?

It's a bloody big bike & very biased to touring.

And sadly do not fetch the price they should.

It wouldn't be the easiest bike to cafe racer / custom, because of the electric dials, fairing mounted dash, built in headlight etc.

Had it been easy to convert I would of done it, but health / limbs are not good these days & it would of been just to much for me sadly.

But I'm more than sure Mikey would make a great job of it. :clap :clap :clap

Its got great bones underneath that barn door fairing.

In some ways it would be a shame to convert it but in all honesty it's never going to be an everyday bike in its present gize & if it means it get used albeit in a different way, then it's better than being a garage queen.
Like it was for many year b4 I got it. ( from 1995 to 2017 )

I did think about having it back, but I did what I bought it for & it's just to big for me now.
It is a genuine low mileage bike, that I went through to take me back to the factory & other than the rev counter -
( due to lucas Rita ignition ) everything works great.

And will certainly pick it heals up & motor along if needed. ( a genuine 120 MPH bike )

Will eagerly watch the conversion when & if Mikey gets around to it..

:thumb

It’s hardly turned a wheel since you sold it Ash,
Now the tank needs draining off and the carbs cleaning,as it runs like a bagashiite.:D:D
Mebbe an apprentice training job,
Get it running right and tax it to use for the rest of the summer,
At least if it runs and is legal I may refrain from messing with it until winter:augie

Back
Top Bottom