riding off into the sunset

I wasn't taking the piss...... when riding in summer I get as much tint as possible...... dark tint visor with the drop down is very effective......... throw a light smoked pinlock into the equation and the job is oxo.

Clear visor in the top box for the night time.

Sent from a OnePlusX.

OK if we are going for sensible answers, the very best fist line of defence IMO is a peaked helmet as it gives the greatest range of adjustability through head tilting and eye line adjusting...

This - much better than a tinted visor in the conditions you describe.

That and remembering that whatever your carrying in your blood bike is only of any use to anyone if it arrives at its destination safely. That means slowing right off if you can't see where you're going. You can't blame conditions for safety - it's your reaction to them that makes them safe or dangerous.

Has anyone mentioned react-to-light sunnies? They wont cope with sudden blinding sun as you exit a tree tunnel but they do allow you to keep going when the sun is not directly in your eyes. A peaked helmet makes a big difference. Sod that it makes me look like Obi Wan and Charlie.

Insulating tape on the upper section of the visor is what I do. Useful in winter too when the sun is low.

Congratulations, with your attitude you could end up requiring blood yourself.

To think that I and thousands of people across this green and pleasant land get free tea and bickies so that other's can get a loan of our blood, when such a skillful rider such as yourself is happy to place not only himself but other's at risk.

I well remember my first FCGI telling me this as a very young and green subby, doing good Sir is a bit like pissing yourself in the bath, gives you a warm feeling and nobody knows about it.

Next time, why not consider the following pointers, what you can see, what you cannot see, and what you can reasonably expect to develop.

Heading east or west at certain times of the day will limit your visibilty, more so southbound at this time of year, so plan a different route.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

One of the really irritating thing about this site is that as well as helpful responses you also get replies from fools who have nothing better to do but to try and be clever..

As it happens I was doing a Blood Bikes run and the hospital that I was going to was exactly to the west of the one I was starting from. You might have been willing to let them down Steptoe - I wasnt.

Dark glasses dont work any better than flip down sunvisor. I've tried the two strips of electrical tape before and that can help though positioning them isnt easy. Has no one found a better way than that?

I find that being chilled out, extracting your head from your arse and a sense of humour works best for riding into the sun. Try it sometime.

And if you really want advice maybe ask in the "pub" rather than the 1200 technical section, you'll find riders of other models also ride into the sun and maybe able to help you. :D

As a couple of others have said the best solution I've found is the peak on my arai tour X, dip your head slightly to put a shadow on the bit you're looking through, makes a great difference, it can still be difficult if the sun is really low to make this effective but it is a hell of a lot better than when I'm wearing a normal arai on my TLS's.

All this fuss about riding into the sun.

What about riding with the sun behind you on a country lane? Even with headlights, nobody will see you coming until they acquire a new car bonnet ornament.

Safer to just stick to going out in bad weather and night time.

Sent from a OnePlusX.

Time for a trip to Cornwall its not raining (now at least). But wait until tomorrow morning so the sun is behind you.

stream_img.jpg

I find a helmet with a peak works brilliantly this time of year, I have a Caberg Tourmax. I can tip my head forward the the peak acts like a sun visor in a car.

Back
Top Bottom