riding off into the sunset

birdseye

Reaction score
Probably posting in the wrong place but couldnt see where else.

Anyway tonight I was riding at 2030 hours directly west on a beautiful clear evening. Directly into the low down sun. Despite the flip down sunvisor in my Shoie helmet, I could barely see a thing. Indeed, nearly had a nasty with an enormous truck.

How do you cope with this situation?

BA issue Ray Ban sunglasses to pilots, looks gay but works. They haven't hit a truck yet at 30000 feet :thumb2

Do the full on Stevie Wonder...

Drop down visor + dark visor + dark pinlock.

Sent from a OnePlusX.

Drop down visors are not especially dark. Add a ripoff strip but if you don't wear glasses get some Raybans.

Stop and have a cup of tea. Is it that important to continue that you would risk killing or seriously injuring someone?

Stop and have a cup of tea. Is it that important to continue that you would risk killing or seriously injuring someone?

What he said. Stop enjoy the beautiful sunset for 15 minutes whilst the sun moves through the dangerous glare window then carry on safely.

Dark visor, with two strips of black electrical tape on the upper edge of the visor.

One of the really irritating thing about this site is that as well as helpful responses you also get replies from fools who have nothing better to do but to try and be clever..

As it happens I was doing a Blood Bikes run and the hospital that I was going to was exactly to the west of the one I was starting from. You might have been willing to let them down Steptoe - I wasnt.

Dark glasses dont work any better than flip down sunvisor. I've tried the two strips of electrical tape before and that can help though positioning them isnt easy. Has no one found a better way than that?

As it happens I was doing a Blood Bikes run and the hospital that I was going to was exactly to the west of the one I was starting from. You might have been willing to let them down Steptoe - I wasnt.

He's a bast'ard like that, he'd have turned around and had one of his street vendor chums knock it up into some black pudding...

If its not safe its not safe, no matter what the emergncy,if you cant see its likely neither can the vehicle behind you and your in front of them.In such situations drive slow enough that you can safely stop its usually just momentary but slow the feck down and move into a position where you are not likely to get run into from behind.
There was a video posted recently of a bike in similar situation just driving blindly onward around a corner and hitting a stationary vehicle.In such a case your parcel aint going to do anybody any good.

Drive sensibly not blindly.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfI-VeeVJRU

One of the really irritating thing about this site is that as well as helpful responses you also get replies from fools who have nothing better to do but to try and be clever..

Dark glasses dont work any better than flip down sunvisor. I've tried the two strips of electrical tape before and that can help though positioning them isnt easy. Has no one found a better way than that?

Well if you would have said that in the first place you might have saved everyone the fun of taking the mickey.....:rolleyes:

I wear heavily tinted visors which are illegal or wear a peaked helmet so just by dipping your head slightly, you can shield your eyes.

I wear heavily tinted visors which are illegal or wear a peaked helmet so just by dipping your head slightly, you can shield your eyes.

OK if we are going for sensible answers, the very best fist line of defence IMO is a peaked helmet as it gives the greatest range of adjustability through head tilting and eye line adjusting...

Back
Top Bottom