Lockable mount for Zumo 660, Nav 4, Nav 5, Nav 6 - not!

Andy B

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having concluded that the ones provided by BMW are made of cheese I went searching for an alternative for my Nav 5. I have used the Touratech ones in the past so this was where I started. They do not currently list one, or to be more accurate you may find it in the catalogue/online but you will not be able to order it. I should add that I didn't want one that took the four buttons on the left hand side - just the unit itself.

So after I'd woken up the grey matter I concluded that the 660 mount should be the same so sourced one from the UKGSer masses. Foiled! :blast There is a very small difference between the mount supplied by BMW and the one that comes from Garmin. Pics below that should make my point clear - the release catch on the standard BMW mount is slightly longer than the one supplied by Touratech. The consequence is that the standard BMW mount fouls the Touratech mount. The solution is easy - just source another Zumo 660 mount? Well yes for around £60 - but I have yet to find one that has the socket to allow you to plug in the telemetry function to use from the multicontroller on the left hand handlebar.

If anyone knows different I would love to hear!

Attachments

• IMG_3142.jpg
    IMG_3142.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 722
  • IMG_3143.jpg
    IMG_3143.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 545
I have one of these on my 660: http://www.zumolock.com/index.php/en/

They are not designed to stop a determined thief, more to allow you to not worry about opportunists at coffee stops and petrol stations etc.

It works by stopping the release catch on the right of the unit being pressed in, so I wonder if it would be OK for the BMW mount too (provided that the release catch has to go all the way in to release the unit)?

I have just watched the video on fitting the Zumolock. I think that it has the same issue as the Touratech mount - the button for releasing it sticks out to such an extent on the BMW version that the Zumolock wouldn't clear it.

The lock goes inboard of the button, so I wouldn't think that is a problem (unless you can push in the button far enough on the BMW version that the cradle unlocks)?

Couple of pictures of the lock fitted to my bike which may help, the first one doesn't show the button very well, but hopefully it's clear enough in the close up...

Attachments

• IMG_0545.JPG
    IMG_0545.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 436
  • IMG_0546.JPG
    IMG_0546.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 441

Back
Top Bottom