1100 steering damper rebuild??

Poucher

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm just wondering if anyone has rebuilt a steering damper?

Mine's lost most of it's oil and is not effective anymore, took it off last night, got the piston rod unscrewed ( so there's only the half with the rose joint still in the damper ) took the circlips and washers out of both ends but I can't get the seals to come out?:nenau

There's a brass bush sitting behind the seal, I though I'd be able to use the main rod and piston to dislodge the bush and seal but it doesn't seem to want to budge? are there any more internal circlips in this that are holding it together?

Anyone done one of these before that can tell me how to get the seals and bushes out? pics if possible??

Thanks,

Poucher

Which model 1100 is the item from; I ask as my R1100GS didn't have a steering damper at all ?

R1100r roadster, 17 years old it is now and still going strong!

Damper

If its anything like the one that was on my K1200RS, then the internals looked like this:

Attachments

• DSCF2664.jpg
    DSCF2664.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 2,108
That's it exactly!

Did a bit searching on t'internet and found an Israeli guy of all people had done a stripdown of one on facebook, I managed to tap the seals and bushes out using the piston rod itself after I'd unscrewed the back half of the rod at the join just lhs of centre and took the rose joint off the end.

Ordered 2 new SKF viton seals for it last night, so should get it back together at the weekend.

Thanks for taking the time to post the pic Notagser, makes things a lot easier when you can see what's inside there! :thumb2

The SKF ones I've ordered are described as "high quality seals" they're double lipped like the standard ones and have the spring retainer inner, high pressure / temp viton ones.

They were a tenner a pop, so I think they should be up to the job....soon find out :mmmm:duno

Well that didn't work :mad: went together ok, worked by hand ok, but when I fitted the damper back onto the bike and gave the bars a waggle, I just heard a "crack" and had oil all over my right foot!:(

I'm not having much luck searching for the original seals, anyone got any ideas?

Its a Kaco seal, part no :-

KACO QHWA 10 X 20 X 7/8.5 VGFO1

Had a recommendation for an equivalent "NAK" oil seal from and american site, contacted them and they said they weren't a stock item and had a minimum run quantity of 5,000 :eek:!! I only want 2 ffs!!!!!!!!!!!

Any ideas before I throw this damper as far into the hedge as I can, hate it when i can't fix something for the sake of 2 poxy seals, makes me mad as phuk :forry!!

Back
Top Bottom