GS1200 for commuting into London??

mrcolinwillis

Reaction score
Hi all..

I've recently moved further out of London & now have a 70 mile round trip commute from home into the City every day.

I am looking to change my current Yamaha 600cc for something bigger, as about half my journey is motorway & half is City roads. And I'm seriously considering a GS1200.

But I'd be interested in some honest opinions from other London commuters whether they think it's a good commuter or too big for the congested roads into the City???

I see a couple of other GS1200's most days on my journey & look on with jealous eyes!

Many thanks,
Colin.

I only commute in once per month but when I do I have full luggage on a GSA. I used to commute daily on a 650 bandit and a guy on an RT with panniers was always faster and got through gaps before me.

I would look at the GSA or the RT for the range if you're doing 70 mile days. It'll be the difference between filling up every 3 days vs once per week.

My commute is 32 miles from Hertfordshire to London Bridge but admittedly a lot of it is m25 then m11. GSA might be wide but it has the same handle bar movement as a bicycle which more than compensates.

I commute daily into the City on a GSA (no panniers). Love it.

Thanks for the comments so far.

Not sure my budget can stretch to a GSA. I've got about £5 or £6k with what I expect to get for trade-in of my current bike.

I have a 40-mile round trip (1/3 city roads, 2/3 dual carriageway, nowhere above 50 mph limit) which I do on a 300 scooter. For your commute I'd look at a 500cc and above maxi-scooter - soooo relaxing not having to change gears.

I have a 40-mile round trip (1/3 city roads, 2/3 dual carriageway, nowhere above 50 mph limit) which I do on a 300 scooter. For your commute I'd look at a 500cc and above maxi-scooter - soooo relaxing not having to change gears.

I would caveat that strongly with the reminder that you are commuting (and presumably parking all day) in London where the thieves love 300cc+ maxi scooters and that puts you at a higher risk of theft.

It doesn't sound like the OP is awash with money to spend on bikes. Therefore, the question might be better phrased with that in mind - he can only have one bike to cover all his biking needs and desires, he has £5-6k to spend and the London commute is a must. A scooter sounds less like the solution to me when viewed like that.

Have you thought about a GS? ;)

As half my journey is on the M11 a scooter is not what I'm after for my commute.

So it's either a GS or dare I say it, a Triumph Tiger.... Was more interested to know what fellow commuters think of the size of the GS when filtering through traffic.

A 650 V Strom is lighter, super economical and perfect for commuting. When I lived in Naples I bought the Strom for that purpose and left my GS in the garage as it's a barge.

I commute daily into the City on a GSA (no panniers). Love it.

Likewise, 60 mile round trip daily commute on my GSA for the last 6 years, M4 J8/9 into central London. I agree, its a nightmare with panniers so stick to topcase or rucksack only.

You cant buzz around like a scooter but lane-changes between stationary traffic is very do-able as the turning circle on the GS is very good.

Bar width means to cant get through every gap but height of bars mean you clear most car mirrors, just watch out for the Van's.

Aux lights and a loud horn are definitely useful additions.:thumb

650/700 GS. I have a 650 as a commuter, way better than my 1200 and 60+mpg. There are also a lot of Honda NC700/750s on the roads now, worth considering.

Price is always the highest consideration but if you can find a GSA, they are not really any larger to manoeuvre and not stopping for filling up got my vote. Also you get the aux lights etc for that tosser approach to parting traffic :)

100k on the last one, now on to the next.

You will find either such a versatile bike, and a hoot to boot.

R1200GSA TB

If your gonna be squeezing through London traffic so closely that the difference in handlebar width between a GS and an alternative choice makes all the difference, and on a daily basis to boot, RENT a bike. It's quite likely that someone in a lorry or bus will narrow those tight gaps you're getting yourself into and a rental bike will be one less thing for your next of kin to deal with. :(

Of course, you're not going to be doing that, so do your commute on something you really want... and enjoy your GS!

Now that price is a factor would you look at a Tiger 1050 sport or a V-Strom?

Rode into central London for years on a GSA. filled it up once a week, easy peasy. No problems as to its size, very rarely got baulked.

Parking the bastard however......

But I'd be interested in some honest opinions from other London commuters whether they think it's a good commuter or too big for the congested roads into the City???

Commuting on a GSA is a different experience to other bikes. Stick your aux lights on and you "plough" traffic rather than filter, atleast thats my experience.

Yes some gaps are a little more challenging on a GSA i.e. if you get a van and 4x4 next to each other, I'm not sure what 1200 hexhead and LC RT's are like but the 1100/1150 mirrors are the same height as car mirrors making them a right pain to filter on.

The extra fuel capacity of the GSA is also useful if you have to commute a fair distance.

Admitedly I commute 18 miles e/w per day into manchester not london but come winter its still busy everywhere and the weather is still shite...allegedly it's also always raining in manchester. The GSA is a nice place to be what ever the weather.

Hi all..

I've recently moved further out of London & now have a 70 mile round trip commute from home into the City every day.

I am looking to change my current Yamaha 600cc for something bigger, as about half my journey is motorway & half is City roads. And I'm seriously considering a GS1200.

I see a couple of other GS1200's most days on my journey & look on with jealous eyes!

Many thanks,
Colin.

I commute most days into London on a GSA with panniers - never a problem. The GSA has better weather protection over a GS and the tank range is better.

I used to do the same on a GS and kept filling it up every two days. The GSA range makes much more sense

Hi all..

Many thanks,
Colin.

Just do it. Having had the same dilemma a couple of months ago on my mt 09 tracer, i bought a 2011 gsa and don't regret it a bit. 70 mile round trip a day down A1 to Covent Garden, no different than riding a smaller bike. Yes, i do get stuck sometime as the bike is large, but never long or often enough to say i hate it. Love my GS, best think i have done for my commuting and social riding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Commute in regularly on my 2011 GSA no problem at all with Vario panniers on. For a ''commute only'' bike my old ST1300 was better, but I can only afford one bike at a time and the GSA is better on rough back roads/lanes. If I was only interested in traveling on motorways, A roads, and good B road's I'd have kept the ST1300.

I commute every day to Liverpool Street on my 1200GS and love it.

The problems I find are not the filtering or wide bars as there's bugger all opportunity to do that. It's not necessary anyway coz I just ride round anyone I want to overtake.

For me the biggest problem are the cyclists. They ride all over the place with no regard for other road users.

The other problem is parking. I'm lucky and can park in the basement at the office. There are a few motorcycle parking bays around but they're almost always full of scooters.

No chance of a big bike getting a spot but if you can sort the parking out then definitely go for it.

It's the only way to commute as far as I'm concerned.

Back
Top Bottom