Making throttle action lighter...

fs996

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
One thing I struggle with on my hexhead is the relatively heavy throttle pull. It's a long slow action which perhaps doesn't help but I find after a few hours on the motorway I feel the strain in my hand/wrist from that heavy throttle action.

Nothing has changed on my bike, it was like this when I bought it back in November and I assume all GS's are the same?

Not interested in grip buddies since they make the already sizeable grips that bit bigger.

I've done plenty of searching on this site and on t'internet in general and have yet to happen across any mod or replacement parts that would lighten the throttle action.

Any suggestions out there? My holy grail would be a shorter travel throttle but mainly less resistance.

Shorter travel will make it heavier. I never thought it was excessively heavy so maybe a look at wouldn't hurt but everyone's perception is different. For the distance, motorway work I used a throttle lock to get a rest.

Why not lubricate the cable, it is amazing what such a small thing can do to improve a bike.

Will do, it's just that the amount of pressure it takes to maintain a fixed throttle position tells me it's something else.

The clip on throttle locks are cheap and handy to reduce load on the right hand grip.

Somebody on here was making something similar for much less money.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quality-B...370612?hash=item5b1e7a87f4:g:jNgAAOSwPcJVRkXz

Thanks for the suggestion. I've had a look at those along with the knurled bar end throttle locks but have to say I don't like the idea of anything that would keep the throttle open without my input. Right or wrong I just have an aversion to that and would prefer to get the throttle feel right for me.

I have one of the clip on things (bought from the GSer member). It's useful on motorways but at all other times I don't notice it's there. My bike came to me with a Kako bar end device but I never really got on with it. Too clunky for me. But either way all they do is hold the throttle open. Mine will close gradually if I don't add some opening effort myself. To close it, just push the throttle shut. There's very little added force.

Other than that make sure the cable route is not causing tight turns and lubricate the cables (three in total). Be aware its easy to pop a cable out out of its throttle body holder. Check they are both seated before starting the engine.

I use a throttle rocker ,£6.99 on Amazon. Takes few goes to get it in position that suits but works well , allows slight palm pressure to keep constant speed on motorway .does take a little getting used to .

It's all subjective of course, but I've never found the throttle at all heavy, might be worth checking the cable routing as well as lubing the cables.

I don't find mind heavy but then one of my comparisons is the quick action throttle on my airhead, now that is heavy.... your solution will not be found in a quick action throttle

Having gone through a few bikes :ague recently.... I remember my last 1150 GS having a relatively heavy throttle compared to my 2014 Super Tenere.... now I'm on a 2010 Twin Cam GSA and my throttle is as light as I'd ever need... no issues ... so maybe lube is the way forward :thumb

I'd check with your dealer (or with Steptoe) before lubing the cables. 1150 cables are Teflon lines and lubing them will completely fuck them up.

Your symptoms sound like you need a new set of cables (perhaps someone oiled them in the past?). I've replaced them on my 1150s several times over the years and the throttle is amazingly light and responsive aterwards. The cables stiffen up so gradually that you don't notice the difference until you replace them...

Thanks, some good advice here. I'm on a 2005 1200 hexhead btw. What should I use to lube the cables on that?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks, some good advice here. I'm on a 2005 1200 hexhead btw. What should I use to lube the cables on that?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Nothing you should NOT lube the cables they are treated with an anti slip coating lubing will gum up further (having just gone throught the pain of replacing them on my 1100s ) I would advise strongly againt lube

Funny you mention that OP.
I wondered why my right hand seemed to ache after around half an hour of riding, almost like i'm having to grip to tight? I have ordered some grip puppies to see if that helps because i thought the grip seemed quite thin to me.
I just put it down to not having a bike for a couple of years so not being used to it but i don't recall having it before on previous bikes (sports). Mine's a 2011 gsa.

Mine has 69000 miles nearly 10 years old but throttle is still smooth cables have never been oiled or lubed in any way. I believe silicone oil is ok with teflon but if its not broken etc. Maybe the OP could compare his throttle action with a bike at his local dealers. They should have used Hexhead 1200s in stock.

Mine has 69000 miles nearly 10 years old but throttle is still smooth cables have never been oiled or lubed in any way. I believe silicone oil is ok with teflon but if its not broken etc. Maybe the OP could compare his throttle action with a bike at his local dealers. They should have used Hexhead 1200s in stock.

I'm going to do that as a next step.

You're not alone, I find my wrist aches after a while on my TC. Throttle action doesn't feel particularly stiff. I don't get the problem on my others bikes.
My solution is using a throttle lock whenever it's safe to do so to give my hand a rest.

Back
Top Bottom