Horice CZ - anyone been for the racing?

AndyB_11

Still waiting
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
We've been before but stopped in a hotel by the square which is only 5 minutes walk to part of the circuit and this year we're taking the wobbly box so I need somewhere to abandon it while we wander around drinking cheap beer and watching the bikes all day before retreating to the town centre for the evening. There's a campsite with chalets in a park less than a mile away but it's used as the race paddock when the racing is on so that's a non starter but I've got a feeling that there were camper vans parked on the square last time we went though that was a few years ago so more up to date info would be much appreciated.

I don't mind being up to 5 miles out of the town because we'll have pushbikes with us and we'll probably be cycling around the track and watching from different spots over the course of each day. I'm pretty sure we'll find somewhere simply by winging it and hoping for the best but using the mighty Google hasn't turned anything up for me apart from a few dogging spots which might annoy my wife if we get people tapping on the windows all night :eek:

Like all great plans we don't really have a fixed one apart from going to watch the road racing in Horice over the weekend of the 27th-28th August then spend 4 days driving down to Imola for the next round of the European classic endurance season then on to Misano for the MotoGP weekend then home :beerjug::D

Was at the racing in May 2011, don't stay in the campsite at the paddock, the toilet facilities can't cope with a large number of people, toilets were continually blocked and flooded, we managed to stay in an apartment with some of the Irish racers in the town.

Looking on Google maps there is a campsite 3 miles south of Horice, Autocamp Milovice ***, Milovice u Hořic 46, 508 01 Milovice u Hořic, Czechia which seems to get decent reviews, although I can't verify what it like.

A good race to watch and the locals are very friendly.

Phil.

Thanks Phil, I'd spotted the camp site south of town and pencilled it in as a possible place to stop then cycle into town. Last time we went we stopped in a hotel opposite the square so that was really convenient and you could walk everywhere with no real effort so the bikes were locked up and left on the road outside for three days.

I've been promising myself a return because the atmosphere is so good and this year everything has kind of fallen into place.

Just to make myself appear even more useless with a search engine than before I sat down this morning and found another site adjacent to the north side of the circuit and fired off an email asking if a) they're fully booked and b) if they're not can we reserve a spot.

I'll file a mini review of wherever we end up once we're home then it'll serve as a starting point for anyone else looking to go.

Right then. We stopped at Kemp Alegro which is in Dachovy and the campsite is within 5 minutes walk of the pits.

Any good you ask? Well I'd use it again but it'd be best to arrive by lunchtime on the Friday if you want a spot big enough for a group of tents. The toilets were ok, showers ok, there's a dish washing room which obviously helps if you're camping and the most important items of bar, restaurant and wifi are all present.

It pissed it down on two nights and the whole site drained very well so minimal risk of flooded tents and there are hard surfaces that serve as roads all through the site so no riding half a mile through a swamp.

It's an easy ride over from the UK if you either use an overnight ferry on the Wednesday and stop near the German/CZ border on Thursday night. That'd get you to Horice Friday lunchtime which is pretty much ideal for getting set up on the campsite then walking the mile or so to the town centre.

Be careful of drinking too much in town because it's uphill on the way back and you'll pass even more bars that seem to lure you over to them for a swift pint costing about £1.

If you like road racing then it's a must visit town for either of the two meetings they hold each year and as a middle weekend of a two week tour it makes a good break point :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom