Another GS Wannabe

Cheers tadhgocuilleain. That's cleared things up for me a good deal. Did the two ignition systems give any noticeable difference in terms of torque/power delivery or throttle response? Does one ride better than the other?

I don't know, to be honest. A lot of people say they introduced the twin spark to cure surging at low revs ( I still don't really know what they mean by "surging") but others have said they single spark won't surge if it's properly adjusted.

Afaik, in practical terms, there's no difference.

Afternoon!

Just booked my big bike test so I can get out of nappies and grow up a bit.

Most people tell me my first bike should be a beaten up old Bandit, so I can drop it a few times, learn form my mistakes, and not get overwhelmed by the power... and to be honest I agree.

But I asked myself if I wanted a Bandit, and I said no. I'd rather have a GS. SO I'm here instead of the Suzuki forums.

I commute 300 miles a week, I'd like to join friends on trips to North wales and other rugged landscapes, and screw it, I'd probably go wandering around the world given the opportunity... But mainly I'll be on the M5. And I want to be comfortable (I'm 6'2" 320lbs - I don't fancy being hunkered down over the tank of a Jap buzzing machine)

That's me, in a nutsack.

I doubt there is a better big commuter out there than the GS and it's a bike that will do everything else you are likely to ask of it as well. I found no difference at all between the twin and single spark bikes fwiw. The mpg is a big plus and f you stretch to an adventure which I'm recommending on looks alone, a tank full will more than see out the week.
Welcome, enjoy the bike and the banter. Don't forget to update the thread when you find one.

I'm struggling to find anyone tell me otherwise too! I hear and read that they ride well, handle nicely, are smooth, I can see that they are practical, and I know that they are comfortable (sitting stiff on a friends driveway, anyway).
I'd love am Adventure. I'd settle for standard, but a GSA is my goal - the big tank is appealing! Either way - I cant find a bike I'd rather have.

I'll be subscribed tomorrow and straight on the for sale/wanted section :)

Aye' - £2.5k is my budget. And you're spot on blueranger & fs996 - an 1150 with crash bars is exactly what I'm looking for. .

There is a nice 1100GS listed in the FS section. The 1100 is the nicer engine and arguably better gearing too. Both my 1150's were/are a bit vibey compared to the 1100 even with a gadget to richen the mixture.

The only ABS to have some concern about is the Servo version...mixed views. The servo is very easy to remove and saves a bit of high up weight.

any big GS is a do everything bike , i use mine most days , it has done 5.5k miles in 4 weeks round europe , track days , fast blasts , it handles really well , go get an 1150 , i've just brought a 2nd one for when i wear the 1st one out .
my mate sold his 1100 cos he thought it was going to start to cost him , his mate now has 160+k miles on it and has only put a clutch in it .
mine has a piddling 90k on it

any big GS is a do everything bike , i use mine most days , it has done 5.5k miles in 4 weeks round europe , track days , fast blasts , it handles really well , go get an 1150 , i've just brought a 2nd one for when i wear the 1st one out .
my mate sold his 1100 cos he thought it was going to start to cost him , his mate now has 160+k miles on it and has only put a clutch in it .
mine has a piddling 90k on it

I'm still struggling to comprehend all of these 80k+ miles bikes being 'low mileage'... do they really go well for long past that!? It still seems alien, but then again, I've not owned one... yet.
What's the routine maintenance like - any jobs a bit iffy?

I'm still struggling to comprehend all of these 80k+ miles bikes being 'low mileage'... do they really go well for long past that!? It still seems alien, but then again, I've not owned one... yet.
What's the routine maintenance like - any jobs a bit iffy?

Nope, another reason to love them. Everything is a piece of cake to get at and in all honesty rarely need adjustment. Tappets take about half an hour, oil and filters another half hour. Balancing the throttle bodies easy enough but again not a frequent necessity in my experience. Do them when you feel it needs it. Brake pads easy as any bike. Don't use a main dealer as they aren't cheap. Use an independent, if you aren't handy with spanners. Steptoe on here for one, but there are others.

Motorworks for spares and service items.

routine maint is easy , just do it , don't cut corners , i change all the engine fluids every 5k miles , brake hoses collapse , goodridge is king , brake fluid every year , strip the calipers every other.
tyres , tourance last 5-10 k miles pads every other tyre

i have broken in 60 k miles ,1 set of brake hoses, alternator belt ( lasts 3 years ) 2 pilot bulbs , 1 big bearing in drive box , clutch +g/box bearings @ 85 k miles , and loads of petrol 38 mpg up to 55 mpg

5"11 32" leg and went from a 125 varadero to a 2007 1200gs. Have thought a few times about changing it but to my mind nothing else comes close. Dropped it 4 times the first few months , all because I was too hard on the front brake when parking. Once I stopped that , no problem. I would thoroughly recommend it .

What's the turning circle like? (Full lock, pushing backward with feet).
I can get a bike in my front garden, but it's an awkward reverse from the pavement through the gate.

What's the turning circle like? (Full lock, pushing backward with feet).
I can get a bike in my front garden, but it's an awkward reverse from the pavement through the gate.

I'm 5'9 and 12 stone.... I have no problem backing my 12GSA twin cam through the back gate when I need to :thumb2

I'm 5'9 and 12 stone.... I have no problem backing my 12GSA twin cam through the back gate when I need to :thumb2

I was in Fowlups in Bristol on Sunday, looking at bikes with a friend. I found a 1200GS in the used section, so I had a go at wheeling it around. I was petrified of dropping it! It was hefty, I'm used to pushing things like Fireblades and little 125s around the place... I'd started to worry whether I could handle the thing. On the plus side, I could always forget the gym membership, and just do reps picking up the bike every morning lol.

Anyhow, I've booked an appointment to visit my GP for a prescription of man-the-fuck-up in the next week.

I was in Fowlups in Bristol on Sunday, looking at bikes with a friend. I found a 1200GS in the used section, so I had a go at wheeling it around. I was petrified of dropping it! It was hefty, I'm used to pushing things like Fireblades and little 125s around the place... I'd started to worry whether I could handle the thing. On the plus side, I could always forget the gym membership, and just do reps picking up the bike every morning lol.

Anyhow, I've booked an appointment to visit my GP for a prescription of man-the-fuck-up in the next week.

How much pushing around are you planning to do, I tend to use the engine when using the bike.
Don't wait too long to visit your gp, I'd say you're long overdue for that man-the-fuck-up prescription!

How much pushing around are you planning to do, I tend to use the engine when using the bike.
Don't wait too long to visit your gp, I'd say you're long overdue for that man-the-fuck-up prescription!

Just when parking at home... the manoeuvre into my front garden is tricky, and can possibly only be done backwards. I guess I'll find out.

Just when parking at home... the manoeuvre into my front garden is tricky, and can possibly only be done backwards. I guess I'll find out.

After the initial trepidation, you may find it rather easier to push about than you thought. For backwards manoeuvring, try leaving it in gear and using the clutch to control movement. That way, there's no balance altering lunge you sometimes get when applying the front brake.

After the initial trepidation, you may find it rather easier to push about than you thought. For backwards manoeuvring, try leaving it in gear and using the clutch to control movement. That way, there's no balance altering lunge you sometimes get when applying the front brake.

I'm going to buy one and just hope that I get used to it. it cant be that hard after all - guys smaller than me seem to get on fine with them!
Not thought of using the clutch when pushing, I can see how that makes sense.

I'm 5'10 or so, a fair bit smaller than yourself, I manage a 1200GS hexhead no problem. Yes it can be a fair bit of weight to manouvre around on a sloped driveway but the key is to just do it very carefully and think about what you're doing before you do it. Once you're sat on board or on the move the weight disappears.

Aaaand the deed is done :thumb
Thanks for your advice all - turns out it's easy to ride and monouvre, and a great purchase!

Bought a tidy 1100, looking forward to many adventures with it!

I would add to the comments not to worry particularly about the GS being too big. I too am 6ft 2 but a bit lighter at 15 and a half stone. I actually bought a lowered one as a first big bike, based on spec and price, not because i wanted a lowered one. But, it has come in useful when fully loaded two up. I find mine very comfortable.

In contrast i sat on a ducati supersport the other week at a bike show, just to see what it felt like. Hilarious! Might be me not being used to it but Shrek on a tricycle comes to mind!

Back
Top Bottom