Another GS Wannabe

BeerEnthusiast

Reaction score
Afternoon!

Just booked my big bike test so I can get out of nappies and grow up a bit.

Most people tell me my first bike should be a beaten up old Bandit, so I can drop it a few times, learn form my mistakes, and not get overwhelmed by the power... and to be honest I agree.

But I asked myself if I wanted a Bandit, and I said no. I'd rather have a GS. SO I'm here instead of the Suzuki forums.

I commute 300 miles a week, I'd like to join friends on trips to North wales and other rugged landscapes, and screw it, I'd probably go wandering around the world given the opportunity... But mainly I'll be on the M5. And I want to be comfortable (I'm 6'2" 320lbs - I don't fancy being hunkered down over the tank of a Jap buzzing machine)

That's me, in a nutsack.

Most people tell me my first bike should be a beaten up old Bandit, so I can drop it a few times, learn form my mistakes, and not get overwhelmed by the power... and to be honest I agree.

My advice would be to buy a bike you're not going to fall off. It can happen, of course, but falling off often ends badly, so buying a bike "to drop a few times" seems a bit reckless to me!

You do make a good point - by 'drop', I'm more referring to low speed manoeuvring really. I cant say for sure that I wont throw myself down the road on it, but I wont be casual about the possibility.

Thats another reason why I'm not fussed about getting a 'my first big bike', and getting straight on a GS - I'd rather buy something I actually want to ride and will suit my needs, and ride it with due care and attention!

With crash bars on, the GS is the kinda bike designed to take a few knocks anyway!

Afternoon!

Just booked my big bike test so I can get out of nappies and grow up a bit.

But I asked myself if I wanted a Bandit, and I said no. I'd rather have a GS. SO I'm here instead of the Suzuki forums.

I commute 300 miles a week, I'd like to join friends on trips to North wales and other rugged landscapes, and screw it, I'd probably go wandering around the world given the opportunity... But mainly I'll be on the M5. And I want to be comfortable (I'm 6'2" 320lbs - I don't fancy being hunkered down over the tank of a Jap buzzing machine)

That's me, in a nutsack.

You're a big fucker, just get the GS and stop pussy footing around, if you're going to drop a bike you're going to drop it, I dropped mine sat at a set of traffic lights but it didn't make me go and buy a CG125, so fucking grow a pair! :D

Oh, welcome...by the way :p

You're a big fucker, just get the GS and stop pussy footing around, if you're going to drop a bike you're going to drop it, I dropped mine sat at a set of traffic lights but it didn't make me go and buy a CG125, so fucking grow a pair! :D

Oh, welcome...by the way :p

Lol cheers!
See this is the conclusion I was slowly coming to in my head - It doesn't matter what you ride when you drop it, its still going over. I'd be sat on a beaten up bandit, wishing I was on a GS.
Sometimes it just takes someone else to put it in plain terms!

I cant seem to view the 'for Sale section on here at the moment - Do I need to have a certain post count or to be signed off by admin?

You need to be a subscriber ( £12 a year or 3p a day ) to view the FS & Wanted section..... it'll be the best £12 you've ever spent... and welcome to the site :thumb

I'd better sort that out then really! Cheers Bryn.

You're welcome.....In 14 or so years on here I've bought and sold so much stuff you wouldn't believe it....and in doing so avoided eBay charges and associated crap that goes with it ...your new GS is probably waiting for you there as well ;)

Do you know which GS your going for, how new?

You can pick up an 1150GS for around 2.5K they will go for well over 100k miles with no problem so dont be put of 70,80,90K bikes.

The low down torque of the GS makes it an easy bike to ride, the big bars give a feeling of confidence.

You just need to adjust to the weight when wheeling it around lean it just a little too far and over it will go, on the flip side the cylinders make it easier to pick back up on your own again.

Go for it.

Personally I'd say go for a somewhat older GS, not a minter otherwise you'll be gutted if/when you drop it. Get some head protectors or crash bars on there (most secondhand GS will have some form of protection anyway) and fill yer boots. As has been stated you're a big lad so you should be able to handle it. Just take it easy to begin with, and plenty of low-speed control practice on carparks will pay dividends. If you do drop it, they only tend to fall over 45deg anyway most of the time :)

Aye' - £2.5k is my budget. And you're spot on blueranger & fs996 - an 1150 with crash bars is exactly what I'm looking for. Payday Tues, so I'll have a browse on the for sale section on here once I'm all signed up proper.
Will deffo be taking it to the car park to practise handling it. My last bike was a Yamaha XVS125 Dragstar. Heavy for a 125, but piece of piss to wheel around the place being so low.

In the mean time Id better get my research in - I hear loads about ABS vs non-ABS, twin sparks, Adventure models.... No idea whats what, but nout a spot of reading wont cure.

Sounds like the right decision to me. Did my test on a Honda 125 and the next day bought a Kawasaki Z750 and have had bigger a better bikes ever since with no problems.
Just go for the best GS you can get for your money and enjoy it. The older ones seem to have less problems than the newer ones and are much easier to work on so don't be put off by age.
£12 was the best money I have spent in a long time, and well worth it for the sound advice, selling/buying opportunities, and of course all the crap in the backchat and bollocks section which becomes a ritual daily read to either wind you up or lighten the heart.

1150 twin spark would get my vote. In fact that's what I was looking for but got tempted by an '05 1200. Clutch and final drive seem to be the main areas to check when buying used. Get a decent 1150 and they will run and run.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

In the mean time Id better get my research in - I hear loads about ABS vs non-ABS, twin sparks, Adventure models.... No idea whats what, but nout a spot of reading wont cure.

Basically, there are single sparks and twin sparks - single sparks were built up until the end of 2002, twin sparks were built after that. To tell the difference, the cover on the cylinder head of a single spark is almost rectangular, whereas the twin spark cover is more spoon shaped.

Single spark cylinder head:
cylinder_head_protector.jpeg

Twin spark cylinder head:
bmw__gs_1150_adventure_2004_3_lgw.jpg

The stick coils (coil and plug lead combined) on the twin sparks gave trouble, but as far as I know the later ones were okay and if they fail, the replacement parts don't give trouble.

ABS was optional on both, but the ABS on the the twin sparks is prone to failure. That's not the end of the world, though, because if it fails, it can simply be removed.

The Adventure model was available in both types. It's a bit taller than the standard R1150GS and comes with ABS as standard. It also has a few extras, like a bigger tank, and braided brake and clutch hoses.

As you said, you're a big guy so I wouldn't worry about buying a big bike straight away. I started riding four years ago and I bought an immaculate Deauville as my first bike. Like you, I didn't see the point in buying a tatty bike and didn't plan on dropping the Deauville. I thought it was a keeper until I realised that I wanted a dual sport bike and bought my R1150GS Adventure.

As mentioned, the For sale and Wanted section of the forum is a very good place to find a GS. If nothing else, other members tend to comment on a bike that's advertised, so you'll have a good idea of whether it's a good or bad buy.

Last edited:
A 2001 single spark with abs is the one to go for by preference. ABS units can be fixed or simply done away with. Could do go on the single spark but more reliable than the twin spark and expensive to return replace. Otherwise a pretty reliable bike. Some useful me day include an MVA batik screen as the sta dare one ain't great and an ax tied unit that really sorts out the fuelling and gives the bike more grunt. Go on condition over mileage.

Good luck.

You do make a good point - by 'drop', I'm more referring to low speed manoeuvring really. I cant say for sure that I wont throw myself down the road on it, but I wont be casual about the possibility.

Thats another reason why I'm not fussed about getting a 'my first big bike', and getting straight on a GS - I'd rather buy something I actually want to ride and will suit my needs, and ride it with due care and attention!

With crash bars on, the GS is the kinda bike designed to take a few knocks anyway!

Get a Gs
I passed my direct access two years ago - age 50 -- I'm 5'8" 32 inside leg and 14 stone -- straight on my 1150 gs 2003 -- it's a great bike -- but then again I've ridden nothing else.
I've done 24 k in two years been to Wales, France, Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany . It now feels like riding a FS1E 35 years ago.
I was going to keep it a year and upgrade to a new one -- but love it too much.
It has a standard seat and set up and I can stand flat footed -- I cannot understand about all the fuss of people not being able to touch the floor??
Also subscribe this is a great site with lots of info

Rob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Basically, there are single sparks and twin sparks - single sparks were built up until the end of 2002, twin sparks were built after that. To tell the difference, the cover on the cylinder head of a single spark is almost rectangular, whereas the twin spark cover is more spoon shaped...

Cheers tadhgocuilleain. That's cleared things up for me a good deal. Did the two ignition systems give any noticeable difference in terms of torque/power delivery or throttle response? Does one ride better than the other?

Back
Top Bottom