R80/7 Spoked rear wheel problem

And just what do think could possibly happen ?

although the rear wheel bearings on the /7 are supposed to be tough and long lasting - presumably the bearing is worn or will wear and could disintegrate causing a dangerous rear wheel and possibly a breakdown leaving you stranded at the side of the road.

Bike safety is of prime important and why would you want to take a chance especially when you know there is a problem, ......... for the sake of a few quid ...... but maybe you would.

you have serviced Bikes for years - would you recommend "the piece of coke can" as a suitable repair? ........ are you suggesting that it is a suitable repair ........and if so what do you expect to happen?

although the rear wheel bearings on the /7 are supposed to be tough and long lasting - presumably the bearing is worn or will wear and could disintegrate causing a dangerous rear wheel and possibly a breakdown leaving you stranded at the side of the road.

Bike safety is of prime important and why would you want to take a chance especially when you know there is a problem, ......... for the sake of a few quid ...... but maybe you would.

you have serviced Bikes for years - would you recommend "the piece of coke can" as a suitable repair? ........ are you suggesting that it is a suitable repair ........and if so what do you expect to happen?

The problem is the bearing, not the piece of coke can used in helping tighten the fit of the outer race.

So any problem will be no more and no less than the bearing "going", as can happen on any BMW wheel at any time and nothing to do with or the cause of a very narrow strip of aluminium.

The problem is the bearing, not the piece of coke can used in helping tighten the fit of the outer race.

So any problem will be no more and no less than the bearing "going", as can happen on any BMW wheel at any time and nothing to do with or the cause of a very narrow strip of aluminium.

Presumably the rear wheel is not running "true" and as I indicated there may or will be a problem with the bearing - there is an indication that this may/will happen - so why would you "bodge" it with a piece of coke can?

and as I indicated there could be bearing failure which could cause a number of events

As I said you repair and service Bikes professionally, so I was very surprised that you even asked the question

Presumably the rear wheel is not running "true" and as I indicated there is or will be a problem with the bearing - there is an indication that this will happen - so why would you "bodge" it with a piece of coke can?

and as I indicated there could be bearing failure which could cause a number of events

As I said you repair and service Bikes professionally, so I was very surprised that you even asked the question

Bill, you really need to read " Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"... There's even a section where they use a piece of coke can to make a repair.. :D

Bill, you really need to read " Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"... There's even a section where they use a piece of coke can to make a repair.. :D

Is that a permanent repair?

A repair until they get around to having a permanent repair made.

Which can be years in some cases.

I suppose NE Scotland compares with the African "Bush"

The last time I was off road a guy used chewing gum to repair a hole in his rocker cover

In case Rob's price was too steep, I'm going to be disposing of a pair of wire spoked R80 wheels soon. They're solid and servicable rather than immaculate.

Thanks for the offer Sean, As mentioned I have received the hub from Rob and it is currently with the wheel builder (Loch Ness Restorations, if anyone in North Scotland needs a similar service).

As regards the coke can repair, it did work and was a short term solution until I sourced a new hub, but it kept me on the road.

Rear Wheel Saga update

Update on progress, the new hub (thanks Rob) has been built into the existing rim by Lochness Restorations, new bearings fitted and then shimmed on the bench before installing. The whole lot was then re-assembled and at last no wobbly wheel:thumb

I stupidly then said, there is nothing else that can go wrong with this bike as everything has been replaced, so on its inaugural run it broke down about 100 miles from home, one new voltage regulator and its up and running again, now there really is nothing else to go wrong as virtually every component on this fecking bike has been replaced, all chassis bearings, brakes rebuilt with new pistons and seals etc, battery, electrics and ignition system components replaced, engine fully sorted, what can possibly go wrong next:nenau

Attachments

• Airhead rear 1.jpg
    Airhead rear 1.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 149
  • R80 Wheel.jpg
    R80 Wheel.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 147
In the past I have stuck similar wheel bearings in with a lashing of Bearing Fit.

I recall bodging the rear wheel of my XR250 like that and that was how it remained. The bike was used for fun + many competitive enduros with no problems :)

Back
Top Bottom