R1150GS Insurance - London

Gab

Reaction score
Hi All,

I need urgent advice. I've received the letter for the renewal of my insurance policy from Carole Nash (Aviva) and I had to cancel it because the price went from £ 630 for last year to £ 3.600 this this year. And that's only because the bike is not garaged and I live in London. Madness!

I did a search on gocompare webiste and the best price I could get is from MCE, which offer a policy with the following T&Cs.
  • £ 533
  • Compulsory excess: £ 2000
  • Includes full UK breakdown assistance
  • 24/7 claims line and courtesy bike
  • 183 days EU cover on ALL Policies

Does anyone use MCE? How are they? Any other insurer to suggest?

For my trip to Italy in September I'd also need EU breakdown cover, which is not included above. I remember someone covered their bike with a third party company. Any advice?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Does anyone use MCE? How are they? Any other insurer to suggest?

I moved from BMW/Devitts to MCE.

How are they?

I hope to never have to discover how they are to be honest.

I know very well that price varies a lot from case to case, but my Devitts premium was around 2.3k (2 bikes) with a 300/400 quid excess (I don't remember clearly) Fully Comp, and MCE is about 800 quid (3rd party + fire and theft. I don't care about fully comp, but for the record it was 1k-ish) with 2k excess like your quote.

MCE was the only other insurance company giving me a quote along with BMW/Devitts. Everyone else wouldn't offer a quote to me.

I'm guessing your premium is really high because of where you keep your bike parked. I had similar issues.

In general relationship with the insurance should be: I pay, that's it, in case something bad happens they step in refunding the damage as per contract. As long as that is true any insurer is as good as another to be honest. :)

183 days EU cover on ALL Policies

That is EU breakdown.
If you do the fully comp they also cover trackdays (with a crapload of limitations obviously) to an extent.

Mce -- 1150gs 2003 fully comp -- 2 years since past test - 52 years young -- £115 de11 post code --
Will breakdown with nationwide flexplus account

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you guys for the quick reply.

Are you sure that is breakdown? I'd have thought that was only the third party cover :confused:

It's fully comp with MCE -- just renewed today
The breakdown is one on the freebies with nationwide flex plus current account which I pay £13 a month for -- I also get other things -- but covers my cars and caravan and bikes when travelling in the EU.

WORK A LOOK IF YOU USE ALL THE THINGS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very scary prices indeed.

I'm guessing this is a result of the stupid amount of Scooter/ motorcycles that are getting pinched in London each year. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but one figure I saw mentioned was 15000 in a year. If that is the case, I can see why they are loading it so much, ouch.

I'm guessing renting a garage off the local authority isn't even available in London?

Meh. Always been like that. I have a fairly particular bike, so the insurance price is high. I was expecting that, not happy with it, but I was expecting it.

I had the GS and a R1100S Boxercup and I was paying around 6/700 for both. Pretty good to be fair.
Sold the 1100S and got the HP and insurance went up to 1700 for both.
I had a non fault accident a few years back and premium went up to 2000.
Last renewal was 2300 and I moved to MCE.

Main problem in London is, as told me by one of the insurers over the phone so not 100% sure if true, the rule of thumb is that if your bike is worth more than 5k, they really want it to be kept in a lock up.
So if you use a residential garage or something with shared access, for them it is as good as on the road.

I'm guessing renting a garage off the local authority isn't even available in London?

I've seen some of those lock-ups. A guy I know uses one.
To be fair, I'd feel safer with my bike left with the keys in and the engine running in Piccadilly Circus.

I once tried to rent a lock up privately, the guy wanted to keep access to the lock up and it seemed that if you farted too close to the front door, the entire thing would have fallen to bits. Seriously, it was held up by cardboard and sellotape.
All this for 200 quid a month... in that case I'd rather pay a higher insurance price.
Problem comes when they are unable to offer you a cover...

"Funniest" part of all this is: I use the HP on the road probably 4/5 times a year :D

Are you sure that is breakdown? I'd have thought that was only the third party cover

Hay you quoted online only?
Speak with them on the phone. Strangely the reps over the phone are quite helpful and "knowledgeable" for insurance call centre standards.

£2000 excess :eek:

You might as well get a quote for 3rd party only cover.

It's fully comp with MCE -- just renewed today
The breakdown is one on the freebies with nationwide flex plus current account which I pay £13 a month for -- I also get other things -- but covers my cars and caravan and bikes when travelling in the EU.

WORK A LOOK IF YOU USE ALL THE THINGS

That doesn't seem to be included in the quote I had online... I'm confused.

Meh. Always been like that. I have a fairly particular bike, so the insurance price is high. I was expecting that, not happy with it, but I was expecting it.

I had the GS and a R1100S Boxercup and I was paying around 6/700 for both. Pretty good to be fair.
Sold the 1100S and got the HP and insurance went up to 1700 for both.
I had a non fault accident a few years back and premium went up to 2000.
Last renewal was 2300 and I moved to MCE.

Main problem in London is, as told me by one of the insurers over the phone so not 100% sure if true, the rule of thumb is that if your bike is worth more than 5k, they really want it to be kept in a lock up.
So if you use a residential garage or something with shared access, for them it is as good as on the road.

I've seen some of those lock-ups. A guy I know uses one.
To be fair, I'd feel safer with my bike left with the keys in and the engine running in Piccadilly Circus.

I once tried to rent a lock up privately, the guy wanted to keep access to the lock up and it seemed that if you farted too close to the front door, the entire thing would have fallen to bits. Seriously, it was held up by cardboard and sellotape.
All this for 200 quid a month... in that case I'd rather pay a higher insurance price.
Problem comes when they are unable to offer you a cover...

"Funniest" part of all this is: I use the HP on the road probably 4/5 times a year :D

I've already checked about the garage with the council and unfortunately there are no garages currently available in my area. That sucks!

High insurance costs for city slickers comes natural considering what we see on TV with all the thievery going on. Compensated for by higher salaries then us country gents 🤡.

High insurance costs for city slickers comes natural considering what we see on TV with all the thievery going on. Compensated for by higher salaries then us country gents 🤡.

Wouldn't be so sure about salaries...

Back
Top Bottom