Insurance options after Adelaide?

Was with CN for many years....Their 2017 quote left me laughing (2014 RT), Moved to Principal for €249 (Underwriter Tanzer)...

Went to do a Temp insurance transfer to a 171 GS as mine was in for Service and Tanzer have since changed their underwriting Policy, Will not insure bikes over 13K.... WTF :eek:

M

Lads, I'm in a situation where I am actually claiming on my motorcycle insurance policy (first time in 25 years) We sometimes get caught up in how much the "cert" is going to cost for the year but there is a lot more to it.
I really wished I had stayed with AXA and not got hung up on the newer lower premiums. Before you part with your money, make sure you ask all the questions that might have a bearing should you have to actually claim from these overseas underwriters.

Sat for 20 mins yesterday on my mobile to a UK number in a queue, to get the ball rolling on my claim......gave up. Today I actually drove into the brokers and got them to get me the UK underwriters on the phone so I could give details of the incident, which happened on Saturday morning.

If I was with AXA , it could all be sorted face to face with someone.

At one stage, I was put on hold so the young claims handler could set up a conference call with the DVLA to varify my driving license, after me questioning this and telling him I'm Irish and calling from Ireland...........I'll never get that 5 mins back.

Be careful what you wish for!!!!!

This race to the bottom is exactly that..........a race to the bottom.

Lads, I'm in a situation where I am actually claiming on my motorcycle insurance policy (first time in 25 years) We sometimes get caught up in how much the "cert" is going to cost for the year but there is a lot more to it.
I really wished I had stayed with AXA and not got hung up on the newer lower premiums. Before you part with your money, make sure you ask all the questions that might have a bearing should you have to actually claim from these overseas underwriters.

Sat for 20 mins yesterday on my mobile to a UK number in a queue, to get the ball rolling on my claim......gave up. Today I actually drove into the brokers and got them to get me the UK underwriters on the phone so I could give details of the incident, which happened on Saturday morning.

If I was with AXA , it could all be sorted face to face with someone.

At one stage, I was put on hold so the young claims handler could set up a conference call with the DVLA to varify my driving license, after me questioning this and telling him I'm Irish and calling from Ireland...........I'll never get that 5 mins back.

Be careful what you wish for!!!!!

This race to the bottom is exactly that..........a race to the bottom.

Surprise of all surprises.......this seems to moving along nicely. Had the value agreed today, which I'm happy with. Just waiting on the cheque now.

What you must understand is, there is a race.
There is a race to the bottom.
And we will continue with these threads because everyone wants a bargain.
You're happy. great.:beerjug:

Im glad.
Seriously.
But there is a race and we will end up at the bottom.

We deserve it.

Surprise of all surprises.......this seems to moving along nicely. Had the value agreed today, which I'm happy with. Just waiting on the cheque now.

good stuff,great to hear its working out for ya,I'm going back 2 Principal next year and leaving CN no matter what they offer,I think we need 2 keep the competition strong or we'll end up crucified by a monopoly again!!!!!

Insurance renewal

I must have been one of the last to get a renewal with Cornmarket/Adelaide, but I am due next month. Any recommendations.

Don't use the bike a lot, but I like to know I can when I want. Nearly 46 years since I first insured with Norwich Union on a Yamaha 100cc. Never not had a bike in over 50 years, though not always on the road:D

Hi Dermott

I'm the person who started this thread and in the end went with Carole Nash. I found Principal not good to deal with for a few reasons. The first was that I told them that the bikes are garaged and locked which is true. They googled my address (?!) and in the photo of my house there are two bikes parked in the driveway of my neighbour's house. They more or less implied that I wasn't telling the truth and they wanted photos of my garage, which I supplied. (It's obvious from the photos that the bikes are completely different to the bikes I wanted insured and that the address is different but that didn't matter).

In the end they gave me a really high quotation. I'm lucky enough to have been able to buy a new bike and I subsequently discovered that once the value goes over a certain amount then Principal aren't interested.

I contacted Carole Nash and the attitude was night and day and they were also pleasant to deal with. They were happy to give me a quotation and also gave me a good deal over the phone.

I'm not saying that I won't give Principal a call this year when my renewal is due but I was disappointed after all I had heard from others here.

On the other hand how is Brexit going to affect companies like Carole Nash and Principal offering insurance??

Gerry

My turn

Liberty: wont cover instructors.
Principal wont cover instructors.
Carole Nashe wont cover instructors.
MCE will cover instructors.
Axa will cover instructors.
"First Ireland" (brokers - worth a call ;) Parkgate St. Dublin ph:8820818 ) but wont cover Bikes for instructors over 8 years old. :rolleyes:

Who's left to try? :nenau
(even i cant keep up - and i used to know all this stuff and be asked on a regular basis. :blast )

"First Ireland" (brokers - worth a call ;) Parkgate St. Dublin ph:8820818 ) but wont cover Bikes for instructors over 8 years old. :rolleyes:

(even i cant keep up - and i used to know all this stuff and be asked on a regular basis. :blast )

Will they cover you for "personal use" or not even for that ?

Jeez I think you've tried them all there,I cant understand tho,I thought an instructor would be a lot more qualified than most of us and obviously be a safer risk or is it that they will not give you cover to instruct even with an extra premium

Jeez I think you've tried them all there,I cant understand tho,I thought an instructor would be a lot more qualified than most of us and obviously be a safer risk or is it that they will not give you cover to instruct even with an extra premium

Luke / jdh,
i can get 'personal' cover. :thumb2
I only train part time, Very part time! I have been doing it for over 25 years, started off doing the Star Rider courses for the council.
For the pleasure and to give something back - to pass on 'The Knowledge' to others.
Oh yeah - And since the Star Rider courses stopped - for the money too - it supplements my own riding! :D
But the cost and complexity of cover for that has got to the point that i have to seriously consider the sense of this. :(

As for a "Safer risk" - yeah, well, you'd think that would count for something but it never really has.
I'm one of the highest qualified people in Europe FFS! :mad: (i'm not trying to boast - look me up on linkedin if curious - i'm only saying it because it infuriates me that it counts for literally very little.)

Looks like the now reduced cover i get with Axa is the only option. I pay the same as the last few years, but cant provide a Bike for the Trainee. THAT is a huge loss and reduction in 'value' and consequently a loss of business - increasing the downward spiral.

i'll shut up, suck it up and pay up now. :rolleyes:

I checked out IAM and they are Cornmarket!

Also contacted Principal and they'll get back to me with a quote in the morning, seems like I'm a good elderly risk :rob

I hope neither of your bikes are worth over €18k

Just renewed with Principal €268 :bounce1
CN quoted close to €500 so pulled out the card there and then.
My van insurance also dropped from nearly €1k to €670 so happy out.

Going with CN after getting quotes from all who could quote. Liberty don't do the old bikes and MCE couldn't even find model on their system and were not prepared to substitute it with a very similar model ( which is what they all do for this particular model). Axa were way above the rest with a huge excess to match . CN improved their quote when called back at end and had a vintage policy that none of the others seemed to have so for me it's a no brainier.

Everyone has different story though so obviously everyone needs to phone around and ask for a second better quote if necessary.

Carol Nash rang me to see if I was availing of their renewal quote.
Me; At 30% more than last year, not a chance, when insurance costs generally are going down.
Him; At what price would you deal with us?
Me; You'd want to be closer to last year's figure, a little over €300.
Him: (after referral) Would €297 be ok?

Renewed, slightly less than last year.

Well 2018 renewal is in. As I have moved and don't have a garage the quotes appear to be €100 more than last year.
Principle €351 (but calling me back tomorrow to see if they can reduce it.)
Carol Nash €460 but will drop the broker fee of €85.84 so €374.16 :nenau .
Liberty €344 (online quote)
MCE €416 but dropped to €316 straight away when I told him the Liberty quote :rolleyes: .
AXA €647 !

So it pays to call around and not accept the renewal you get or the quote from a new insurer without a haggle.

The quote is for an 1150 Adventure 2002 model with a value of €5,000 on a fully comprehensive basis.

Back
Top Bottom