Off to Italy ......

Spud

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have just short of 3 weeks to get to Barga (or thereabouts) and return from Zeebrugge. Would like to do the passes in Switzerland (Furka, Grimsel etc) too.
Last year our first stop was Metz, lovely but a long day. This year I'm travelling solo, as in no other bikes, so possibly shorter days would be preferable.
Thought about the Black Forest from Metz area to head down into Switzerland, then not really much idea after that !!

Any thoughts or suggestions from the people in the know ?

Cheers
Spud

I have just short of 3 weeks to get to Barga (or thereabouts) and return from Zeebrugge. Would like to do the passes in Switzerland (Furka, Grimsel etc) too.
Last year our first stop was Metz, lovely but a long day. This year I'm travelling solo, as in no other bikes, so possibly shorter days would be preferable.
Thought about the Black Forest from Metz area to head down into Switzerland, then not really much idea after that !!

Any thoughts or suggestions from the people in the know ?

Cheers
Spud

Have a good trip Spud :thumb

Keep away from the 'tourist traps' and head for the hills, find small hotels and b&b in the villages ....and enjoy :aidan

:beerjug:

Start with getting a decent map.

Out of your three week holiday getting from Fylde to Barga and back, how much do you want to spend in 'short days' between leaving the Black Forest and arriving in Italy proper? You know, or have at least listed, two of the passes you want to do. How would you join the Black Forest to them, in 'shorter days' riding?

Do you also want great roads to take you from the ferry terminal to the doorstep of your destination in Barga and back again, too?

Black Forest to Switzerland is a bit naff towards the bottom end, lots of roadworks on top of the normal congestion around Lake Constanz and Lindau if going that side of the lake. If going the other side it is easier, but you will need a Vignette to use the Motorway to bypass the congestion through Zurich.

Both give you a decent run down through the Black Forest before a bit of aggro to get from the Black Forest into the Alps, the latter would drop you off in a convenient spot to tackle the Grimsel and Furka, but the former drops you off in the Austrian Tyrol.

You really need to do your own research as there are about 500 passes you could take in on your route, I would suggest "Motorcycle Journeys through the Alps and beyond" if you have little knowledge of the areas and options available to you.

You also failed to say how long you plan to be at your Italian destination so we do not know if you have a day to cross the Alps each way or a week.

www.cyclingcols.com is another good resource, or www.alpineroads.com - not updated so ignore any comments on the state of the roads as this will of changed a lot, but if you come up with a plan or want to know about specific routes and / or passes come back and ask again.

Another option is to come into the Alps from the West (Pontarlier / Fribourg / Thun) which I think is a less congested and more mellow route, you can also dash across the Vosges on your way from Metz.

My traditional plug on this kind of thread is... look at the RiDE Guide to Italy.

The "getting there" section at the top of the page includes two and three day routes from Rotterdam to three of our touring hubs (Borgo San Dalmazzo in Piedmonte; Aosta in the Aosta valley; and Vipiteno on the Austrian border, handy for the Dolomites, Stelvio, Timmlesjoch, etc). It may be that the download links are still broken, but you can email the office and the GPX files can be sent by return. The Google Map previews all still work.

The page also includes a load of preplanned daytrip rides and complete tours - some of which might suit, though most would likely need to be adapted. For instance, the routes down don't go through the Swiss passes, as their aim is to get people swiftly to Italy and you could happily spend a couple of days meandering through the Bernese Oberland or doing the five-pass loop around Meiringen. But you could adapt the Rotterdam/Vipiteno route easily enough to detour through those areas - with three weeks, you have the luxury of not missing stuff out. With three weeks you could do our complete Italy trip and visit Barga – which is only a short detour off the Tuscan section – with time to spare!

I was going to plug RiDE and the Italian section but hey... if they ain't got the message yet.

If you can stick to the L roads in Germany you'll be very well rewarded. I sprung upon the L503 and the L296 last week and they were magnificent.

Hello Spud. Once you have settled in around Barga take a spin up to Abetone. Great roads from Bagni Di Lucca up the mountain. The tourist office in Borgo a Mozzana has leaflets on loads of bike rides.
Enjoy Northern Tuscany, it's a hidden gem.
Cheers
Grant

Thanks for all the replies. The book should be here tomorrow and I'm currently browsing the Ride guides.
I'm only looking at spending 2 possibly 3 days around Barga, the rest of the time is for the gentle tour, there and back .....

Back
Top Bottom