re use a gasket

fizzer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
hi guys a bit of advice please,i have taken the head off the lhf on my r1150gs single spark 2001,to get the exhaust stud sorted out that was snapped,hopefully getting head back today or tomorrow.
anyway my question is ,is it ok to reuse the head gasket,i know this is a no no on water cooled bikes ,but is it ok on my air cooled gs
cheers

For the cost of replacing the gasket why risk having to do all the work taking the head off to replace it if the original one does not seal. I recall being told many years ago that if you loosen all the head bolts off or remove them without disturbing the gasket then the gasket can be left in place. I have reused the head gasket on my BSA Bantam successfully but that's only a Bantam and 2 minutes to change! I would replace it!

Only change mine out if there's obvious damage or oil leaking, the set I have at the moment have been in for about 30K and I do the valves every year or around 5K :thumb

Only change mine out if there's obvious damage or oil leaking, the set I have at the moment have been in for about 30K and I do the valves every year or around 5K :thumb

I think you are talking about the rocker cover seals not the head gaskets.

John

yes its the head gasket ,not the rocker cover gasket :thumb,i was asking if it could be reused as its a pressed metal type 3 fine gaskets pressed together,it all looks in good order ,and i dont want to wait for a replacement .
if others have reused with no problems:thumb

I bet, really, that you know what the right answer is, dont you?

Head gaskets are normally compression gaskets which seal under torque settings and compress. Best advice, renew.

Never re-use head gaskets. TBH I also replace base gaskets, even if I've only needed to have the heads off.

2-strokes maybe, you can often re-anneal the copper gasket but on a 4 stroke that has a compression gasket, no way.

Andres

Feck it, re-use it and torque the heads down 300% more than the stated torque settings.

It's save you the cost of the gasket but might cost a few bob more in helicoils and studs.

Feck it, re-use it and torque the heads down 300% more than the stated torque settings.

It's save you the cost of the gasket but might cost a few bob more in helicoils and studs.

Remind me never to bring a bike to you for some head work :D

Andres

hi guys a bit of advice please,i have taken the head off the lhf on my r1150gs single spark 2001,to get the exhaust stud sorted out that was snapped,hopefully getting head back today or tomorrow.
anyway my question is ,is it ok to reuse the head gasket,i know this is a no no on water cooled bikes ,but is it ok on my air cooled gs
cheers
No renew

Back
Top Bottom