Removing the inner and outer primary.

twizzle

Devil may care...
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've just quietly read through the instructions in the Factory Manual, and watched a youtube video and it all looks quite straightforward - I need to replace my inner rear shift lever as it's slipping on the splines. The only potential headache is braking the clutch and compensator nuts / bolts as in the video it took two guys with a 2' Breaker bar......

Anybody here done it, Views? is it easy enough for a person with basic skills - or shall I jack it in and get the professionals to do it:thumb2

I've just quietly read through the instructions in the Factory Manual, and watched a youtube video and it all looks quite straightforward - I need to replace my inner rear shift lever as it's slipping on the splines. The only potential headache is braking the clutch and compensator nuts / bolts as in the video it took two guys with a 2' Breaker bar......

Anybody here done it, Views? is it easy enough for a person with basic skills - or shall I jack it in and get the professionals to do it:thumb2

I've done it. Bit of a long job and I bought a sodding great long torque wrench to do up the compensator nut. Easy enough though if you just follow the instructions and take your time. You're welcome to borrow the torque wrench if needed.

I've done it. Bit of a long job and I bought a sodding great long torque wrench to do up the compensator nut. Easy enough though if you just follow the instructions and take your time. You're welcome to borrow the torque wrench if needed.

thanks, but i already have a sodding great long torque wrench!! I have the tools and the manual..........

thanks, but i already have a sodding great long torque wrench!! I have the tools and the manual..........

Get on with it then dammit man. :D

if you can read then you can do it but don't loose your rag, the fish mungers not far away if you need brute strength and don't forget the pics so we can tell you where your going wrong....:D

Just the brains to find then huh ... ?

:D

And that my dear biker mate is the rub.... The parts are £32 for the arm, a few quid on loctite, a gasket and a rubber seal... So, let's say £60 all in - due a service so primary oil is a given.......the video on YouTube took them 28mins as Harlev mechs to strip down......I'm getting a quote from my independent chap.... He charges around £40 an hour so let's say he's slower then the guys on the video as it was a new bike, mine has 105,000 miles and is 21 years old...so some things could be stubborn..... So, I'll allow him 4 hours so £160 plus parts .. Do you know what I'll wait for the quote...

if you can read then you can do it but don't loose your rag, the fish mungers not far away if you need brute strength and don't forget the pics so we can tell you where your going wrong....:D

To be fair to the manual, it's a well documented process if nothing goes wrong....

not much to go wrong, think of the sense of achievement doing it your self and plenty of free advice on here.......

To be fair to the manual, it's a well documented process if nothing goes wrong....

Get yourself a dozen cans of stella and get stuck in, some things are best done tipsy, and bike maintenance is one of them.

Ohh and post up the photos, and tell us the story when you get back from A&E.

I could pop down and do it for you but where's the fun in that.

Simon.

Give me a shout when you want to get it done. I can come over and give you a hand, once we've fucked yours up I can come back and do mine properly :D:augie

Don't believe everything you read; I just changed the mid controls on mine for the slightly further forward ones. To get the brake side off you are supposed to remove the exhaust system :blast I didn't, but I did swear a bit.

sounds like we have the makings of a party......
Perfect.
The only way to do motorcycle maintenance, lots of booze, dresses, men in dresses and a little bit of gentlemanly fingering.
Happy days.

Angela.

My first girlfriend was called Angela, she was 15 and had a hairy fanny.

Back
Top Bottom