Worried about unreliability :(

Paul2129

Reaction score
Please don't kill me, I have no experience of BMW. I'm fairly sure I was a member here a number of years ago, I think the account was deleted due to inactivity however. I've had many Honda bikes, currently an NC750X on which I managed a 1219 mile day at 72mph average, so I don't mind a spot of touring ;) .... but, whilst reliable and fairly simple, it's boring ! ..., and when it starts (let's brush over that) it's great. I'd like more tank range, more comfort, and something with more power and presence, hence GS thoughts again.
I've had Vauxhall cars which caused me no trouble over 13 years of use (I thought they were unreliable) and a VAG Skoda which has given to end of niggles (I thought they were reliable) cars of this type are relatively cheap to fix... these big BMW bikes maybe less so ?
What's the score ? I'm fairly mechanically sympathetic, but I find frustration in when parts that should last just pack up. According to what I see online, BMW bikes don't seem to be the most reliable, but everyone loves them and aspires to own one..... then says "yeah, I'll probably change it when the warranty is due to expire", I'm more of a long term owner, should I be worried ?

You pays your money an takes yer choice ,so run for the hills and try another brand :blast
After 5x GSs I'm smitten with my new Triumph 1050 tiger sport ,very lively ,great tank range ,uber comfort :bounce1:clap

If you check out any model specific forum you'll always hear tales of woe with things dropping off or failing....GS's are no different...its not stopped me buying a 2010 Twin Cam GSA with over 70k on it....and I love it :thumb2

Great bikes GSs enjoyed mine despite its troubles. now loving my Tenere.
you will love the GS if you buy a new one and change it every two years.

I can vouch for 53 plate to 05 plate 1150's and 57 to 08 plate 12's. Loads of miles in 14 years of ownership and only niggle was a fuel strip fixed under warranty and a head bearing replaced. 500 miles to a tank is not unrealistic on a 1200 adv. And I have always done most of the servicing at home. Enjoy!

Simple. Test ride some bikes. If you like one, buy it. If you like two, buy both.

Every aspect of life comes with a risk. Change your risk profile and add some excitement from riding a bike you enjoy. You may get some self respect as owning a Skoda, Vauxhall and Honda suggests you have some sort of self harm or self loathing thing going on.

Ive never had a breakdown on any of my Modern BMWs. Yes Ive been luckey. Gave a lend of my rt to a friend about 6 years ago to go to the IOM and the fpc went. Luckey? thats me. JJH

You make some very good points there, I think it deserves a trip down to my local dealer, a coffee, chat, and to book a couple of test rides

500 miles tank ta ge on a GSA ? Really ?

1219 miles in a day,really !!!

Yeah, set off from Slovenia at 03:30, arrive back home about 23:30

Hadn't originally planned for i .... then I could see that the 1000 was possible .... then I just thought I'd go for it :)

Proves that you can ride a long way on pretty much anything

Expectation management. Buy a cheap Chinese bike (now I mean, before they do what the Japanese did) and you'll be chuffed to bits to keep it going by investing just a few hours tinkering most weekends, when only a few bits fall off and when it's a year old and some of it doesn't look like you found it on the tide line. Buy a BMW and you expect perfection. Well, you will have paid for it, so perhaps that's to be expected. Not altogether quite gonna happen though, is it. How close it gets is where the debate is!

The thing with GS's...there's probably more of them around doing more miles combined than most other bikes, so of course some folk will encounter problems. You're buying it, not marrying it, so if you don't get along with it for whatever reason just sell it and move on.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Picking up my 5th R series bike this morning, 3 of them being used bikes 1 new, worst problem I have ever had is not being able to get the seat off one and a locked back brake, hardly a catastrophe, yes you can buy a Friday bike from any manufacturer, just the same as you can buy a car that turns out to be a lemon, but the manufacturer wouldn't walk away from it. There is a reason it's one of the best selling bikes out there. But as others have already said you got to get out and have a play, no point buying one if you don't feel it. Enjoy the search.

Id say go for it, they're extremely reliable bikes. If your searching for google terms about reliability then you'll find exactly what your looking for . It's no different to googling for medical problems, you'd think you've got 24hrs to live even though you've jut stubbed your toe.
Bmw have sold 88,000 bikes in the first half of 2017 alone, how many people online can you find that post about unreliability. When your selling that many bikes you'll naturally have an increased number of problems compared to manufacturers who are selling 12000 bikes.

You make some very good points there, I think it deserves a trip down to my local dealer, a coffee, chat, and to book a couple of test rides

500 miles tank ta ge on a GSA ? Really ?

Yep, several times and I'm not alone. A bit less on the 1150 though.

According to what I see online, BMW bikes don't seem to be the most reliable, but everyone loves them and aspires to own one..... then says "yeah, I'll probably change it when the warranty is due to expire", I'm more of a long term owner, should I be worried ?

It's called 'Lemming Syndrome' ........ Serious answer.

Back
Top Bottom