Ferry Algeciras Tangier Med

Baz

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Three of us are traveling Algeciras to Tangier Med in early October. I haven't used this crossing before, is it better to book a crossing or will we be able to squeeze on if we just tip up? We should arrive at Algeciras @ 12:00.

Ta Baz

I did this crossing a few years back. x4 of us rocked up without booking, easy to buy tickets and were put straight on the ferry.. No issues..

Keep an eye on them when they tie the bike down. They wanted it it on the centre stand. I insisted on using the side stand and bike in 1st gear. Then they ratcheted it down so tight there was no suspension give so I had to loosen it. They have lots of bikes using the crossing but don't seem to care about quality, just getting it done as fast as possible.

When I used this ferry they put a strap across the saddle and were trying to set a new record on how tight they could get it.Take a piece or carpet or somesuch to put across the seat.

Book and buy before you go, one less thing to queue up before your crossing. Take your own strap as they didn't have enough in April ...

Book and buy before you go, one less thing to queue up before your crossing. Take your own strap as they didn't have enough in April ...

Thats ok if you know exactly what time you turn up,
Several years ago we just turned up,, 7ppl+bikes and walked up and down the booths till we found what we wanted and booked it there and then,
in the space of 15 mins.ish..

Majority seems to be to just rock up. Thanks for the replies.

Hi Baz, as has been said, you can just turn up at the port, there is plenty of parking outside of the booking offices, all the ferry operators are side bye side inside. Don't bother with the scankers trying to flag you down on the roads leading to the port offering to help :blast. Or the official ticket office's you might pass on the roads leading to Algeciras,they are agents working on a commission. Enjoy your trip...:beerjug:

Cheers, will do. Few years since I've been on a bike & the last time was via Ceuta.

I ride this crossing annually in October. In my experience, it's better to just ride, park up then dander over to the main terminal ferry offices of which there about three or four, see what ferry leaves soonest and buy a ticket there and then. Any price difference is not worth crying over. If you buy one way then you can do the same on the way back from T/Med. I paid €51 one way last year for moto and rider.

The moto park has a thigh height concrete wall around it with a gap to ride through after cutting across a lane. The co-ords are

N 36 07 764
W 005 26 499

As you'll know, after Cueta, ignore local dudes in day glo bibs trying to wave you down way before the terminal or trying to entice you over to a travel agent. You'll have the moto park in front of the terminal in the GPS and you won't need them.

(They'll tell you their boat leaves in ten minutes and you have to hurry and buy a ticket from them, hence the easy walk over to the terminal and get official info from the current bureau)

Maroc mindset starts in Algeciras so the boat will probably be late anyway. :D

Is there still an Insurance bureau just over the border at Ceuta?

Is there still an Insurance bureau just over the border at Ceuta?

No, the nearest is in Fnideq which is about a couple of miles south on the N16.

Easier to go in via Tanger Med, as it saves a lot of faffing about changing money and buying insurance 'cos it's all there just after the douane offices at the port.

Good to know, we should be stopping in Fnideq on the first night in country. We are planning on Tangier Med, but depends on arrival time at Algeciras.

This was quite a while ago, but they normally do not change much, if you do not get the insurance from Algeciras just after customs.

There is an insurance company in Fnediq (Matu Insurance) a couple of miles down the road at N35 50.707 W5 21.253. I've also heard of Les Assurances Saidia du Nord, 117 avenue Mohammed V, Fnideq, tel +212 39.97.62.22.

Back
Top Bottom