1150 adventure true tank capacity

Slipperyeel

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am in no doubt this subject has been discussed to death. But I did read somewhere, on here, that whilst the adventure's spec says 30ltr it doesn't then take into account the loss because of the fuel pump, filter, sender etc.

I'm asking because I'm heading off to Italy next week and last year, on the return trip, somewhere in the Ardennes I was roaming minor roads desperately looking for a petrol station. When I did fill up I was thinking, shit that was close! I filled up to the neck and a tad more and it showed about 27.8ltrs.

Did I still have another 1.2ltrs left or was I on the edge as I thought?

Cheers

Have you done the filler neck mod? That gives you up to another 2 litres to play with... and you're true capacity could be up to 32 litres.

Strap a gallon can to the rack and run the bike dry. It'll give you a good indication of the range you've got after the light comes on - and it'll be easy to work out your usable fuel capacity when you fill up...

Thanks gents. Filler neck mod not done. Blimey, 2ltrs more. That's a lot!

I might just need to carry a child around with me to push it off the main stand

Mike. You're right I should do this anyway. Maybe not a gallon, but have something stashed, incase. Though I really I shouldn't theoretically have a problem being in the thick of civilised Europe.

This'll make you laugh though. While loading on the routes to the Zumo, I did a check that all the prefs were the same as the desktop. Discovered fuel stations on the Zumo were ticked to be avoided . Yes yes, I've unticked it now

So. No time to do the neck mod this time around. I think a lightweight version of Mike's suggestion will have to do.

Cheers

Do you not fill it when it's on the main stand?

To be honest, %99.9 of the time no!
Albeit I have ridden on reserve for many miles in the hope of finding a petrol station, I always seem to do over the next hill.

Normally only fill the tank up when rallying and the weight of gear I take plus my poor ageing back limits me humping the beast onto the centre stand. Luckily, we still have independent garages (God bless'em) around the country and not the need to keep finding a supermarket chain gas station to save on pennies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To be honest, %99.9 of the time no!
Albeit I have ridden on reserve for many miles in the hope of finding a petrol station, I always seem to do over the next hill.

Normally only fill the tank up when rallying and the weight of gear I take plus my poor ageing back limits me humping the beast onto the centre stand. Luckily, we still have independent garages (God bless'em) around the country and not the need to keep finding a supermarket chain gas station to save on pennies.

I seem to have the opposite problem to you.

Getting the fecker off the stand once fueled is my problem. I do it, but occasionally there's an incline and it's becomes a pain - so I tend to ask someone to give me a nudge . When there's no one the fun starts

Getting the fecker off the stand once fueled is my problem. I do it, but occasionally there's an incline and it's becomes a pain - so I tend to ask someone to give me a nudge . When there's no one the fun starts

I bought one of those 'side handles' which bolt onto the rear subframe passenger foot pedal loop.
A great help in either pulling up onto the stand or pushing off it.
One of my better buys for the old girl.

I bought one of those 'side handles' which bolt onto the rear subframe passenger foot pedal loop.
A great help in either pulling up onto the stand or pushing off it.
One of my better buys for the old girl.

I've heard of but not seen those 'handles'. Definitely sounds interesting

I've sketched a foot operated mech (simple lever arrangement attached to the foot of the main stand, LH side) but no flippin time to make it because it'll need a little fiddling to get it right.

Any pictures or web link to the 'handle'?

Cheers

I've heard of but not seen those 'handles'. Definitely sounds interesting

I've sketched a foot operated mech (simple lever arrangement attached to the foot of the main stand, LH side) but no flippin time to make it because it'll need a little fiddling to get it right.

Any pictures or web link to the 'handle'?

Cheers

931a9a0c2e315ef767d248ba866e2923.jpg

Ride it off the stand. :thumb2

Ride it off the stand. :thumb2
I need to get out more. I haven't tried that

I'll try, but I'll make sure the place is empty, just in case I throw me and the bike all over the forecourt floor

931a9a0c2e315ef767d248ba866e2923.jpg

Thanks for that. It's not was I was expecting.

I'm guessing the idea is that this gives you more control?

I already use the tubing that the pillion foot rest is mounted onto. It'd it much different?

Yea, you're right.

Is it as simple as a hole near the top of the neck? 2.5-3mm?

The bigger the hole, the better, so go 8-10mm or drill a few of them in a row. All it does is let air escape from the top of the tank and allow more fuel to go into its place but the bigger the hole(s), the faster the air can be pushed out.

The bigger the hole, the better, so go 8-10mm or drill a few of them in a row. All it does is let air escape from the top of the tank and allow more fuel to go into its place but the bigger the hole(s), the faster the air can be pushed out.
Thanks . Useful info.

So I'm thinking about this and doing it tomorrow. I'm thinking to buy some of those cocktail umbrellas to catch the swarf.

How else are people dealing worth that detail?

On another note. I'm already getting roughly 320 miles per tank full. Wroth this mod, presumably I can hit the 350 mark. The only problem is, I usually ride from tank fill to tank fill. I'm gonna be fooked if I try that work this mod

Back
Top Bottom