THINKING OF TRAVELLING ABROAD WITHOUT INSURANCE?

Blackal

Reaction score
Fairly compelling ................... :augie

https://www.gofundme.com/steven-andrew-didmon-medical-fund

"My son Steven Andrew Didmon went for a simple Hernia operation at the Siloam Hospital in Bali on the 12th of July 2017.

Unfortunately things turned bad when they administered the epidural anaesthetic and my son Steven went into cardiac arrest.

A team of doctors and support staff gave my son CPR for two hours whilst ventilating him, after two hours of his heart constantly stopping they finally stabilised him.

Steven was on life support for a week and a half which during that time has had daily Haemodialysis due to the fact that his kidneys are not functioning properly, his lungs were also not functioning properly and he was breathing assisted with a ventilator tube for 2 1/2 weeks.

It was touch and go for Steve, he is slowly improving but still requires Haemodialysis daily, Steve is now awake but still a long way to go.

Steve has been communicating with us now ventilator tube is removed but at times appears to be confused, which we are told will pass.

We have huge medical expenses in Bali as Steve did not have insurance and we still have to probably have an air ambulance to bring him back to Perth when he is well enough to travel.

We require funds as soon as possible to start meeting the hospital expenses and to prepare for his repatriation back home.

We as a family are devastated about what happened to Steve and I appeal to all Steve’s friends if you're able to try and visit him in Bali which I am sure will give him much needed encouragement.

Steve will need on going dialysis, and rehabilitation to help him gain back his limb functions due to the length of time in hospital ICU."

It is a gamble we all take once in a while or some throughout life. Sorry to hear of this and hope your son gets well enough to be repatriated back home.

Anywhere outside of the UK or the EU, I would definitely get at least the bare minimum; just for some self preservation and peace of mind.
There are many ways to gamble and most lose than win.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is a gamble we all take once in a while or some throughout life. Sorry to hear of this and hope your son gets well enough to be repatriated back home.

Anywhere outside of the UK or the EU, I would definitely get at least the bare minimum; just for some self preservation and peace of mind.
There are many ways to gamble and most lose than win.

:D :D :D

Sounds like scam, although spelling and punctuation are not bad.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Did a bit of trawling, and it was posted on Facebook by a guy I know, who worked for Frontier Drilling. According to t'internet - Steven Didmon also works at Frontier Drilling - so suspect that it is a genuine post.

Al

I have travelled extensively without insurance......Even just forgot about it, some times you cannot get it, because of where you are, who fucking cares really, I know I don`t.

Who would pick up the tab if you died or could not pay hospital or damage fees?

It all depends where you had the accident and from which country you reside in.

We went to OZ in 2013, we took out travel insurance just incase/ insistance ... ( The other half is a control freak ;) )

I travelled round europe for work in the early 2000's and never bothered ;) ... put me on a plane and i'll limp home lol

How fukcing wrong was I

5 days into a 21 day stay, i took a tumble on the beach, stone cold sober, just tripped running into the surf.

Immediately knew i'd done something wrong, as i had pins and needles in both arms and hypersensivity in the hands.

Thinking what a pillock, i dosed up on painkillers and carried on - Alcohol works wonders as well ;)

48 hrs later, Insurance documents in hand, and with the brief from the insurance co. about contacting them before treatment - & in lots of pain i walked into the

local A&E, convinced I'd sprained both wrists.

As i said how fucking wrong was i :( one busted C5, and attached C4/5 disc compressing the spinal cord!!

Dont do it by halves!! immidiate cervical collar and full imobilisation.

Emergency surgery was discussed. at this stage i mentioned the insurance company thinking wtf!!...

Not to worry they said, your covered on the NHS, we have a reciprocal agreement. you dont need insurance..

(Only if you want to go private ;))

Managed to avoid surgery, but came out with a cervical collar for 6 months & enough painkillers to get me done for trafficking lol

The insurance company wouldn't let me fly home without authorisation from the medics, but did upgrade me to business class :)

Did i take insurance again when we went last year. damm right.

I was involved in an accident in France a couple of weeks ago - I was the rider of one of the two bikes which collided on a motorway. Both bikes/riders were covered by BMW Emergency Cover as part of the extended warranty we had purchased. I cannot praise the service provided highly enough. Everything that needed to be done was arranged by Allianz (operating on behalf of BMW). Hotels, taxis, flights home, bike repatriations and support were all taken care of by a dedicated incident manager. Without the cover it would have been much more stressful and certainly very much more expensive.

Why risk travelling without insurance to save a few quid when the alternative is potentially horrendous expense and avoidable aggravation

I was involved in an accident in France a couple of weeks ago - I was the rider of one of the two bikes which collided on a motorway. Both bikes/riders were covered by BMW Emergency Cover as part of the extended warranty we had purchased. I cannot praise the service provided highly enough. Everything that needed to be done was arranged by Allianz (operating on behalf of BMW). Hotels, taxis, flights home, bike repatriations and support were all taken care of by a dedicated incident manager. Without the cover it would have been much more stressful and certainly very much more expensive.

Why risk travelling without insurance to save a few quid when the alternative is potentially horrendous expense and avoidable aggravation

That is interesting asBMW would not help Andy when he had his off in Spain

Yes they recovered the bike but everything else was at his own expense as the BMW assist covers breakdown not accident. I can see their point as a mechanical failure that ruins your trip is their fault a fall or crash isn't

Yes they recovered the bike but everything else was at his own expense as the BMW assist covers breakdown not accident. I can see their point as a mechanical failure that ruins your trip is their fault a fall or crash isn't

Indeed :thumb

When one of our esteemed members on here did his back in returning from Wales, and couldn't ride the bike ... BMW didn't want to know :eek:

When Sue and myself did the six month overland to Mongolia and back, 'The Long Way Home' we took out full personal insurance. We didn't need it .... what a waste of money :blast

When we did our 'Long Way Home II' through Turkey, Iran and in to Pakistan, heading for the Himalayas, we took out full personal insurance again ...

... after a serious accident on the Karakorum Highway in Northern Pakistan, where Sue ended up being hospitalised with a serious compound fracture to the upper arm, I had to get her flown home. The insurance company was magnificent and worth every penny :thumb

I hung about with Bin Laden for a couple of weeks (we were in Abbottobad at the time) whilst I got both bike's repatriated.

Never say never ....

i-bV5mMJV-L.jpg

i-hxFmfhh-L.jpg

My view is take out personal insurance just in case ,even when travelling within Europe and having basic E111 cover .

If you chose not to and the worst happens then tough shit , I don't want to hear about your f*cking stupidity, if you lose your home to pay for medical bills or repatriation then it is your problem and not mine .

I will have zero sympathy when your family appear on the local televison news programme with a sob story about how they cannot afford to get you (or your corpse home) and how they will not cope with paying the huge medical bills that have been generated .

I will not be donating to a fund they set up ,it is all down to you .

A buddy of mine had an off while in Botswana this Xmas past....... broken collar bone, a few ribs and a punctured lung.

There was a private plane (air ambulance) involved to get him to a proper hospital in Joburg.
Couple of weeks in Hoppo, a couple of weeks in a fancy hotel before he was deemed fit to fly.
They flew a companion (his bird) out to help care for him and he was eventually flown home 1st class to Dublin.

I'd love to see the bill for that without proper insurance.

Sent from a OnePlusX.

It's question of what cover you have paid for - I think that there is breakdown cover and there is the emergency cover which provides cover for 'motoring emergencies' -

https://www.motorrad-warranty.co.uk/EmergencyService

From a chance remark by Att concerning the waste of money on medical/travel insurance while overseas, we are now seeing comments on the benefits of it when incidents occur.
I worked and rode in the Middle East for 15yrs with no accident from the Dead Sea to the straights of Hormuz. In my youth worked and rode in West Germany as a gastarbeiter.
Maybe I ride too cautiously or gifted with luck (pls stay with me) but insurance not just covers incidents while riding but, whilst off it as well as mentioned by others.

Pay 16K plus for a new bike
Pay £1000 -£2000 for 1-2 weeks touring
NOT PAY £40-£50 for travel insurance :confused::nenau:blast
Never use it waste of money , use it once and 100 x plus what you paid :rob
Wonder of those who don't pay for travel insurance bother taking out house insurance , content insurance , life insurance ect
if so why what is the difference :augie

It's all about playing the odds..................

Odds are - you won't have call to claim - but if you do.........

For a simple medical evacuation from France/Germany/Spain etc - (not on a sched flight), you may need something of the order of £35,000 UP-FRONT. I don't expect any/many of us can produce that sort of money, while possibly incapacitated in a hospital bed.

If the illness/injury aren't life-changing.............. the financial hit - could be.

Al

Back
Top Bottom