Service thought

newman7096

Reaction score
Gathering everything I need for 36000 mile service together.

Will my 1150gs oil filter wrench fit the 1200 oil filter?

I think the Hi Flo filter is HF163 for the 1150 but HF164 for the 1200. Without taking the skid plate off I can't check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no it wont mate they are two different filter wrenches ,i have both and they are totally different

You're joking! Oh well another eBay purchase then!

AND - you can only get at the job with a cup wrench which will slip if the filter was screwed only slightly too tight

AND - you can only get at the job with a cup wrench which will slip if the filter was screwed only slightly too tight

Ordered a cup wrench. Hopefully everything will be here by Friday when servicing will commence.

Hand tight is enough and still needs a tool to remove the filter. Doing it by numbers is asking for trouble.

Put a strip of sandpaper inside the cup to improve grip.

Advise from Steptoe :beerjug:

Tried that - usually works but not that time. Also tried valve grinding paste, but no better. Sometimes, brutality is the only option. I was expecting to be chopping away the external tinware and using water pump pliers on the filter's insides. Thankfully, the small hole and screwdriver bodge did enough to shift it.

Seen a video somewhere of someone putting an elastic band across the worn head of a cross head/pozidrive screw before sticking the screwdriver into the slot and unscrewing it without any slip. First GS DIY service coming up so may try wrapping one around the filter JIC.

Back
Top Bottom