F800GS cutting out

cityadvrider

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 2015 F800GS, not yet 2 years old about 9k on the clock. I use the bike daily to commute about 25mins through London and out into the countryside for weekend rides, always flawless until this weekend.

The bike kept cutting out when I pulled the clutch in to coast and varying speeds and gears, most worryingly whilst doing 80 on the motorway. To give a specific example let's say I was in 3rd doing 40, clutch in throttle off, shift down to 2nd and the bike cuts out so I am now coasting with the clutch in but no engine.

I have read a few other posts about only being able to restart after 3 seconds etc but that wasn't the case for me, I could just start it right back up again with the ignition switch. It just felt like when the revs fell they didn't hit a floor / idle and instead just turned the bike off.

Any ideas on what this might be would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

When did you last have a service? what sort of mileage has the bike done.

suppose it could be valve clearance or spark plug issues?

or air filter?

Just guessing :D

Thanks for your suggestions guys.

For those interested it was actually the sensor that detects what gear i'm in that was faulty. I suppose it can't cut the engine whilst the bikes moving in gear, but as soon as I pulled the clutch in and it 'doesn't know what gear' i'm in it takes the opportunity to kill the engine and preserve the gear box.

Not ideal when you're doing 80 on the motorway but hopefully all sorted by BMW now.

Back
Top Bottom