evening all, what have I bought?

Carlosfandango

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just bought my first BM for 25 years, back in the fold after years of Triumphs and more lately a 2014 Honda VFR.

you lot are depressing me with your tales of woe, of break downs, corrosion lousy service.

Blimey. Got so worried just bought a bucket of FS365......

hope it turns out OK, it cannot be the best seller if it is as bad as you guys paint it

Here to a few more posts, i will keep you informed if you are interested, you all do sound a bit down, cheer up

Carlos

This is going to sound stupid but did you ever work at Guinness many years ago?

Hi Carlos

What bike have you bought?

Don't worry about the doomongers they are awesome bikes as you'll find out

Hi Carlos,

It seems to me that GS owners are in the minority on this site (I've just been reading an RT thread which rather left me wondering why the discussion wasn't on a 'UKRTer' forum, and KTM must be paying some agitators too, or they'd be on a KTM site!). Half of the rest seem to hate their GS and BMW with a passion, which makes me wonder why they haven't sold it and moved on. Of the minority left, this is the place where they mostly share issues and worries so I try to think of it like living in the doctor's waiting room - you can get the impression that everyone you meet is poorly!

I love mine. It is very young though, so my perfect reliability is a small sample. It has had a new final drive for a tiny spot of corrosion by the drain plug which I found when applying acf50 but my local dealer (not the one I bought it from) was on it like lightning. Are there better bikes for particular purposes? Yes, there are, but even at what they do well they're not that much better than the GS in the real world and there'll be lots of purposes where the GS beats them. It's a consumate all-rounder and I doubt you'll regret your choice. Enjoy!

Hi Carlos,

It seems to me that GS owners are in the minority on this site (I've just been reading an RT thread which rather left me wondering why the discussion wasn't on a 'UKRTer' forum, and KTM must be paying some agitators too, or they'd be on a KTM site!). Half of the rest seem to hate their GS and BMW with a passion, which makes me wonder why they haven't sold it and moved on. Of the minority left, this is the place where they mostly share issues and worries so I try to think of it like living in the doctor's waiting room - you can get the impression that everyone you meet is poorly!

I love mine. It is very young though, so my perfect reliability is a small sample. It has had a new final drive for a tiny spot of corrosion by the drain plug which I found when applying acf50 but my local dealer (not the one I bought it from) was on it like lightning. Are there better bikes for particular purposes? Yes, there are, but even at what they do well they're not that much better than the GS in the real world and there'll be lots of purposes where the GS beats them. It's a consumate all-rounder and I doubt you'll regret your choice. Enjoy!

Love mine. Bought it new in 2009. Never had a problem with it apart from a tank level sender (changed under warranty).
Service it every couple of years when I'm feeling keen. Doesn't use a drop of oil. Battery holds its charge all winter. It doesn't eat brake pads. No corrosion issues.
Cost me £12k new. Reckon its still worth at least £6k now. Not bad for 8 years old.
Got it just the way I like it. Bought and paid for - no intention of getting anything else.

Just bought my first BM for 25 years, back in the fold after years of Triumphs and more lately a 2014 Honda VFR.

you lot are depressing me with your tales of woe, of break downs, corrosion lousy service.

Blimey. Got so worried just bought a bucket of FS365......

hope it turns out OK, it cannot be the best seller if it is as bad as you guys paint it

Here to a few more posts, i will keep you informed if you are interested, you all do sound a bit down, cheer up

Carlos

Welcome. What have you bought BTW?

For sure there are some doom-mongers here but many of us are chuffed to fuck with our GSs.

44k miles on a 2013 lc with no corrosion, no paint problems, nothing but 100% reliability. Happy days :D

Welcome to the forum. What bike have you got?

Since you are asking, I bought a TE with all the bells and whistles, still trying to find out how it all works, pissed it down since I've had it. It is a bugger to keep clean though, rear 'mudguard' I use the term loosely, is shite, crap everywhere. Must be a fix for this, I will search the forum....

Carlos

Since you are asking, I bought a TE with all the bells and whistles, still trying to find out how it all works, pissed it down since I've had it. It is a bugger to keep clean though, rear 'mudguard' I use the term loosely, is shite, crap everywhere. Must be a fix for this, I will search the forum....

Carlos

You need. "Mudsling" :thumb

Carlos

I have just moved from a VRF to the GS TE and its a belter, one day of riding and I am smiling from ear to ear, brilliant bike. Every bike has problems now and again.

Hi Carlos,

Spot on there... there are some on here who are helpful, share their knowledge and top tossers... and then there are some who are just wankers...:blast the OP will find them all sooner or later:rob

I have just moved from a VRF to the GS TE and its a belter, one day of riding and I am smiling from ear to ear, brilliant bike. Every bike has problems now and again.

Carlos and Andyscott , did either of you consider trying the Crosstourer by any chance or did you both just fancy the GS.

Carlos and Andyscott , did either of you consider trying the Crosstourer by any chance or did you both just fancy the GS.

I did, bullet proof engines, but no cruise control, no ESA etc. Dealer does not give you the BMW experience, so all in all BMW more my liking

I did, bullet proof engines, but no cruise control, no ESA etc. Dealer does not give you the BMW experience, so all in all BMW more my liking

The lack of cruise is an oversight for sure but the expensive ESA you can keep. I miss telelever suspension for sure . Enjoy :thumb

Just enjoy your ride and laugh at the banter....if you spot any issues with your bike, take it back to the dealer. :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom