Who on here

I'm a bit late to the party tanneman re. pillion comfort................. Biggest improvement for Amanda on mine was lowering and bringing the pillion pegs forward a bit. Less knee bend which is more comfy but also allows Amanda to push against the pegs a bit better when I'm braking.

Andres

Better late than never :D If your pillion peg ergo measurements is near the same to a BMW RT then that would not please the missus. Tried a RT and whilst it is comfortable and a really nice bike to ride she didn't get along with the seat to peg feel.

Something I didn't check. Does the pillions' heels touch the panniers in the normal position?

No SA-T in the KTM online catalogue? Has the model been dropped?

Yep. It's just the R or the S now. There's talks of a new T coming next year, but nothing is confirmed.

Better late than never :D If your pillion peg ergo measurements is near the same to a BMW RT then that would not please the missus. Tried a RT and whilst it is comfortable and a really nice bike to ride she didn't get along with the seat to peg feel.

Even with the new mounting brackets it's still higher and further back than it was on my old 1200GS which, I imagine, is not as low and forward as a RT IYSWIM.

Andres

The R1100S has been listed and the GSA will be listed soon. Time for a change. Checked out the bikes at the NEC and for some reason BMW has gone to town on the TFT. The finance does look attractive but the feedback from the customers, according to BMW, is that they do not want more power. No good for overtakes on the passes and gorges then, planning and all that malarkey but one needs to be able to choose the first available spot to overtake safely than what the bike is capable of. I find myself in Giles position a few years ago. Good bike but bland.

I found my GS and Super Tenere were both great bikes and fairly nippy, but my 1190 KTM makes overtakes so much easier, recently tested the latest GS and it still feels quite sluggish with a flat spot in the mid range which will dictate mucho down changing to get a quick overtake done, on the KTM I just open the throttle with no need to consider what gear I am in, or if I will enter a flat spot half way through the manoeuvre...

...and the engine just piles on power as the revs rise so there is never that concern, from 3,000 rpm to redline it pulls very hard, the 1290 pulls hard from below 2k

recently tested the latest GS and it still feels quite sluggish with a flat spot in the mid range

Try one that has had the exhaust valve removed / locked open .ill think you’ll find it’s just as quick through the midrange

Try one that has had the exhaust valve removed / locked open .ill think you’ll find it’s just as quick through the midrange

I should not have to piss around modifying a £15,000 twin cylinder 1200 cc motorcycle to get some mid-range, and I reckon it would still need a Turbo on top of your mod to get close to the 1290 out of the crate - I think my 1190 makes more power in the mid range than the GS did when being caned to the red line.

Certainly removing the flat spot would help to make it a much nicer ride, but there is no way it can match a bike with an extra 35BHP and no shaft to sap a large chunk of the power.

I should not have to piss around modifying a £15,000 twin cylinder 1200 cc motorcycle to get some mid-range, and I reckon it would still need a Turbo on top of your mod to get close to the 1290 out of the crate - I think my 1190 makes more power in the mid range than the GS did when being caned to the red line.

Certainly removing the flat spot would help to make it a much nicer ride, but there is no way it can match a bike with an extra 35BHP and no shaft to sap a large chunk of the power.

They both produce about 80 hp at 5000 revs .

Having top end horse power you normally have to sacrifice bottom end hp for the same size engine

Thread resurrection alert.

This is the last tour on the GSA. Better to chop it in now before the new model is launched before and before the value drops too much. As far as comfort and ergonomics are concerned it is a great bike. Boxer has listed his mint 1290 SA-T but I'm afraid it will be long gone by the time I'm ready to buy. Thanks very much for the info above. The 1290 has always been in the back of the mind and it looks to be a solid buy. Few complaints apart from myride (not available on non tft bikes), a few wheels leaking air and the seats as discussed in this thread. Panniers divide opinion (I like the look of the black Givi boxes) and I have not read anything about cracking screens. Thanks.

Just a question. Has the location of the cruise control switches moved from r/h bar to l/h bar end of 2016? That was my gripe with the ergonomics, not a big one but a bit of an oversight on the part of KTM.

Don’t rush, we’re rapidly approaching discount season at KTM so dealers might end up with a few trade ins they’ll take sensible offers on or they may even discount the SA.

Just a question. Has the location of the cruise control switches moved from r/h bar to l/h bar end of 2016? That was my gripe with the ergonomics, not a big one but a bit of an oversight on the part of KTM.

Yes, it seem to work very well, it is the only thing I really prefer on the 1290 over my 1190 for solo use, I think the Semi Active suspension will be an asset for two-up, but I personally prefer the more predictable and compliant conventional units on the 1190 and definitely don't want TFT Screens and Keyless Ignitions, IMO they serve no useful purpose other than to line KTM's pockets when they (inevitably) go wrong.

They both produce about 80 hp at 5000 revs .

Having top end horse power you normally have to sacrifice bottom end hp for the same size engine

Carefull they may hunt you down and burn your bike , house and bugger your dog for having an opinion …

But looking back on others quoting , 1290 136hp atw bm 115 atw wheres the extra 38 come from ?

Carefull they may hunt you down and burn your bike , house and bugger your dog for having an opinion …

Vocal members on here don’t mind you having an opinion as long as it agrees 100% with theirs and their mates !! 😂

Karen commented (without me asking) just how comfortable the Rallye TE is - having ridden solidly for 2 day’s down to Rencurel in the Vercors, followed by a few hours on the back roads down to Castellane yesterday and most of today around Provence - the GS is very pillion friendly. If the 1290 Adventure is as good then I could be swayed at my next bike change.

Karen commented (without me asking) just how comfortable the Rallye TE is - having ridden solidly fjor 2 day’s down to Rencurel in the Vercors, followed by a few hours on the back roads down to Castellane yesterday and most of today around Provence - the GS is very pillion friendly. If the 1290 Adventure is as good then I could be swayed at my next bike change.

It’s not compy, the wife went out twice , and then insisted we took the Bm as the Ktm was cramped and the seat was , hard

Karen commented (without me asking) just how comfortable the Rallye TE is - having ridden solidly for 2 day’s down to Rencurel in the Vercors, followed by a few hours on the back roads down to Castellane yesterday and most of today around Provence - the GS is very pillion friendly. If the 1290 Adventure is as good then I could be swayed at my next bike change.

It’s rubbish. Very uncomfortable. She’ll hate it, as would you. ;)

the GS is very pillion friendly. If the 1290 Adventure is as good then I could be swayed at my next bike change.

What do you mean "I could be swayed", I think you mean "I might be allowed"

The KTM is much faster, much lighter, handles better, has a lot more low down / mid range / top end power, looks better and is far more trendy than the common as muck GS, but YOU only want one if SHE finds it more comfortable.

Grow a pair and by the KTM :thumb And no getting her a new kitchen to make the deal happen either.

Back
Top Bottom