Who on here

tanneman

Incomplete Arse
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
takes their missus as a pillion regularly and what is their feedback? Looking at a 1290 SA-T and it would be good to hear what they have to say about the 1290 vs GS/GSA seats. From what I gather the ergo seat is the one to have. It would maybe help scratch an itch short of taking the missus for a spin a dealer bike.

We do about 2 weeks at a time for a bike holiday. Other than that it is local roads for day. She is coping well with the GSA seat (both of us) as long as we have regular breaks or not too long in the saddle.

My missus prefers pillioning on my 1190s than previous Hexhead GSAs, despite slightly less room, especially with a top box. 1190 appears to have similar seating arrangements to the 1290s.

My gf rode on the back of my 1290R for over 1000 miles through Germany and Luxembourg in May and found it very comfortable.I have the individual heated Ergo seats.

There's an Aussie couple who did an online review of the SA-T on YouTube- can't find the link but Google is your friend. Consensus from them was it was a good bike for two up Touring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I reckon my old (2008 MU Model) GS had a bit more room for the pillion (Built for two Sausage munching Germans?)

With the Ergo seat the 1190 is very comfy so I cannot see it being an issue, the main problem on any test ride is you are both used to what you have and even something every bot as good will feel odd.

I do not think the GS is so far ahead (or the KTM so far behind) on pillion comfort to sway a decision on which bike - and the KTM is far lighter, far more powerful, has better suspension and is a whole load more fun.

Is she skinny assed and leggy or short fat assed n dumpy, cmon man we need to know.
A pic may help us decide what she would like too:rob

How are the standard comfort seats compared to heated, is it worth the extra cost. I'm curious as I haven't experienced heated seats on a bike, but don't really suffer from a cold arse. Also, is there much passenger space difference between the dual comfort seats and the single seat like Nutty has fitted?

In our opinion we found the 1290s not as comfortable as the GS,not as much room ,the pillion pegs seemed higher causing knee ache,standard seat was like a brick and lots of vibes through the grab rails.If I just had myself to consider I may have gone for the KTM but unfortunately comfort plays a large part in my motorcycling these days.

Great bike ,I just prefer the GS

And no I may as well NOT take the car!

Where abouts are you on terra firma? KTM roadshows are available - SMC bike Sheffield for instance, 19/8.

Personally I have been looking at the SA, as replacement for my GenII Super 10 next season. Having trouble convincing SWMBO at present as, although we find the standard seat OK, she is stuggling with comfort once the side luggage is mounted. Hey ho - perhaps Yam will come up with something tasty idc; that T7 looks interesting.

Whilst I agree the T7 looks interesting, I can't think it's going to be a great bike for 2-up.

I have the 1190 and had fitted the standard 1290SA seats to give a bit more comfort. They are better than the 1190 ones but not as good as the Ergo seats. Can't see the point of the heated ones as one thing you don't need is more heat......the engine and rear pipe will see to that!

The missus likes the rear perch on the 1190. Better than the Tiger800 I had before but not as roomy as the GS Triple Black I took out for a long demo ride. I was going to buy one until I test rode the 1190.........and there was no contest!

Cheers for that. I'm going to take the missus for a test ride weekend after next. My nearest dealer I think is in Market Deeping. Dealt with them before and rate them very good. My friend recommended them for service.

Gear 4 (Market Deeping) are pretty good and don't get moody about the amount of time you want to take the bike out for if it's all about giving the pillion a proper feeling for the bike.

Failing that I'm not sure whether you'd gain anything from trying out an 1190S but if you think it might give you an idea pop over to my place this Saturday late afternoon and take mine out for an hour or so. I can pop the top box back on so she'd know how much room there is with one fitted. It's only 30 minutes from where you live and you can ride like a twat between Bedford and Kimbolton or be really silly and use the back roads through Thurleigh and Riseley.

You really don't need a heated seat on the 1290! And the ergo seats are a very sound investment, I prefer them over the standard version.

You really don't need a heated seat on the 1290! And the ergo seats are a very sound investment, I prefer them over the standard version.

No,you don't,but when it's hovering on freezing riding in the Alps,it's rather nice !!!

Not made an appointment yet. There is the issue of studying for an interview which takes preference. The GSA did go in for a service and I had a R nineT Pure as a loan bike. Lovely little thing and I like the position I sit in and it does attract some looks from all sorts. Took the missus on the back when I went to collect the GSA. Not very impressed by the seat she says, with her knees up she likens it to a sex position :D. Back on the GSA she says it just feels right and very comfortable also likes the view because the pillion seat is raised. So the bar has been set high. Valuation of the bike whilst there, 16800 miles, 14 plate which I might add is in very good condition, no corrosion or scratches etc is £10550 for outright buy and £up to £11500 for part ex. I bought it as a dealer bike and it cost me about £2k to £2.5k in 2.5 years.

Looking at the 1290 the bike is in price range without putting any money towards it for 15 plate with luggage and panniers. 16 plate is stretching it a bit but some hard bargaining might be doable. Not in a rush but looking and keeping the options open.

I would not be surprised if some deals come up on new ones soon, I doubt many have been sold with the S & R Models being upgraded with the 1290 engine and the new colour screen (not yet on the T Model)

It is a fair guess that next years T will get the new Screen and KTM will be keen to get shot of this years leftovers - so if you might fancy a new bike it could be worth holding out, KTM sell offs can be very good - I got £3k of my leftover 1190, and that was with no difference in spec between my 15 model and the 16 model (same spec right down to the colours)

Some tasty looking bikes out there. Very good prices at the moment. Tempted but must have Akra or Wings etc pipe as the KTM thing is an abomination. SA-S or SA-T?

Fully loaded with Akro pipe: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2017-KTM...d=292331666904&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982

Looks like a good deal (full luggage for £950 extra): https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2017-17-...d=292331666904&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982

Advertised on here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263334280514?clk_rvr_id=1370559212728&rmvSB=true

Dealer bike: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KTM-1290...d=263334280514&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982

Some tasty looking bikes out there. Very good prices at the moment. Tempted but must have Akra or Wings etc pipe as the KTM thing is an abomination. SA-S or SA-T?

Unless you really need the range of the T, go for the S. And if you're planning on going off-road, go for the R.:thumb

No SA-T in the KTM online catalogue? Has the model been dropped?

Back
Top Bottom