18W Cree LED Auxiliary Lights - Night Rider Video

Warlord

Do Not Resuscitate
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

In amongst all my other tech testing I went out last night to test my lighting setup, and record a video.

Currently I have

- BMW LED Headlights (protected by a Touratech Grill Headlight Protector) Which I left on in the video, but will remove next time as it casts to many shadows.
- BMW LED Fog Lights
- 18W CREE LED Auxiliary Lights

They are powered and controlled from the HEX EzCAN device. So the 18W CREE LED auxiliary lights run on 10% power except when Main Beam is applied, they then switch over to 100% power

What do you think?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jYEn_UlIe80" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If they're the 6 LED rectangular jobs, they don't throw usable light far enough, IMHO - they're floodlights. That was my experience when I had a pair on a Tiger 1050.

4-18w-6-led-3w-cree-led-working-light-bar.jpg

If they're the 6 LED rectangular jobs, they don't throw usable light far enough, IMHO - they're floodlights. That was my experience when I had a pair on a Tiger 1050.

The BMW LED Headlights are amazing and they are already throwing enough light far enough up the road. They really are good.

The reason I fitted the ones you've pictured, was for Daytime Running Lights set up at 10% Power.

During night riding they point to the ground about 20 feet in front of the bike and on Main Beam they are set to 100%. They illuminate the whole road area so you can actually see what your riding on.

The main beam is doing the long distance stuff just fine.

Also, those rectangular CREE lights are manufactured in two types : Spot and Flood. Maybe you had the wrong ones for your application.

CREE Spot

I have these Lights on both of my bikes.

On the BMW R1200GS Adventure they are SPOT LIGHTS

You can see how the lens shroud is designed to focus the beam

Attachments

• CREE Spot.jpg
    CREE Spot.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 1,726
On my Bandit 1250 I also have these lights, but they are the FLOOD LIGHTS design.

You can see how the lens shroud is designed to disperse light outwards in a short range flood light arrangement

Attachments

• CREE Flood.jpg
    CREE Flood.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,640
I thought the light spread in the foreground and middle distance was excellent but I was a little surprised that the full beam with the Cree lights on 100% didn't illuminate further up the road - perhaps the video didn't show them in all their glory. However if you have them pointed 20 feet in front of the bike that would explain it.

Do you not think that the BMW auxiliary lights do a good enough job of lighting the foreground and middle ground areas of road surface and that it would be more advantageous to have lights showing what was happening even further up the road, all the better for you to plan ahead?

Bit disturbing thar the aircraft silhouette banks the opposite way!

No cars approaching flashed their headlights

Ergo you dont have them set correctly :D

Yes I got told off by my riding partner on the way back from Scotland earlier in the year he said "I cant see anything behind me for that mini Sun in my Mirrors!"

R1200GS with onboard LED spots

You cant get those cheap units in both spot and wide angle they are labelled in many makes and around £18/pair from China.Im suprised you didnt get the wider units for the Landy 12-18"

Bit disturbing thar the aircraft silhouette banks the opposite way!

Thats a long story, but in summary its because I'm reading the telemetry data from the rear camera (on this occasion) which is facing backwards.

I havent got around to removing it from the graphs yet.

If I was using the telemetry data from the front camera it would be the correct way round

I thought the light spread in the foreground and middle distance was excellent but I was a little surprised that the full beam with the Cree lights on 100% didn't illuminate further up the road - perhaps the video didn't show them in all their glory. However if you have them pointed 20 feet in front of the bike that would explain it.

Do you not think that the BMW auxiliary lights do a good enough job of lighting the foreground and middle ground areas of road surface and that it would be more advantageous to have lights showing what was happening even further up the road, all the better for you to plan ahead?

The camera is adjusting light levels (as the foreground is so bright) so you can't see up the road (in the video) like I can in real life.

These lights compliment the BMW setup perfectly.

I'm happy with this as its more important to me to see whats happening with the road surface in front of me, than 500 yards away. Especially when its pitch black dark.

..... and I can still see plenty with the BMW main beam

Yes I got told off by my riding partner on the way back from Scotland earlier in the year he said "I cant see anything behind me for that mini Sun in my Mirrors!"

That's why I have the HEX EzCan as these spot lights are set at 10% power at all other times. They're there for additional daytime running lights.

But on full beam they are set at 100% power.

None of my mates complain with mine. In fact 3 of them have already copied my setup.

I have the same lighting setup. I haven't had time/opportunity/occasion to test them at night yet. I live on the edge of Salisbury plain (v little light pollution) and I have the Innovv camera system. Will post the results from mine when I do get a chance

Do you not think that the BMW auxiliary lights do a good enough job of lighting the foreground and middle ground areas of road surface

Was thinking about your comment earlier and I got home and adjusted the 18W Cree LED lights slightly up and slightly out.

It's easily changed and I'll give them a go with a longer beam up the road on main lights.

See what impact that has.

:beerjug:

- 18W CREE LED Auxiliary Lights

What do you think?

I'm due to pick up my 2017 TE on Friday . No Bars fitted as yet. Look good at a reasonable price. Would these be mountable without bars? It's intended I use a EzCAN for connection.

I had a set on my 800GS mounted on the bars towards the radiator and they seemed good enough and for £18 you can always swap them out for something better without feeling out of pocket.

Does the bike not come with spots as standard?

Back
Top Bottom