engine crash bars

beaubullie

Reaction score
Hi y'all
does any one know wether 2010 1200gs adventure crash bars fit to the standard skinny tank 2010 1200gs. prob not, but would prefer a definative answer.
thanks

The wont fit because the cross bar is about 2" short at either end. The bottom end of fuel tank bars fill in the gap.

But they are worse than useless. They do not protect the rocker covers and they bend backwards into the rocker covers. My RHS went back so hard I had to remove it and the rocker cover all at once. The rocker cover screws were bent.

I now have X-Head protectors with no engine crash bars. They will slide more easily than tubes than can dig in and they don't side load the rocker covers in a crash.

I have kept the GSA fuel tank bars because they do the job nicely. But I wont be refitting the engine bars.

cool. thanks for the honest reply.
going to look at cyl. head protectors instead. thanks

Its not a simple situation.

My bike came with Touratech head protectors. They look smart well up to the task. However the back end of the actual rocker cover still hit the road so I had a bent crash bars, badly scraped expensive farkle, a bent crash bar AND bent bolts that should never has see serious side loads.

Even worse, the M6 bolts, which hold the head protectors were bent Z shape. The Touratech covers had not yielded even slightly so serious crash loads were hammered directly into the cylinder head.

Ideally the bike needs head covers that will bend on impact so the cylinder head mounting points are not risking fracture. I'm not convinced about the X-Heads as polycarbonate is hard stuff. But the bolt holes can be elongated so the protectors can move inwards without bending the M6 mounting screws.

To be honest, a nylon crash pad bolted along the side of the rocker cover is all it needs. Enough to be sacrificial in a crash and cheap enough to not worry about the replacement costs.

Back
Top Bottom