My R100GS tale of woe

First thing you need to check is the oil housing in the crankcase. If its badly scored then the crankcase needs to be scrapped or refurbished. I had mine done at Motoren Israel - brilliant company to deal with, very professional, everything happened when they said it would and for the price that said http://www.motoren-israel.com/Workshop/Engine-Block/Resleeve-oil-pump-housing::297.html

whatever you do don't but a new oil pump stator from BMW (motorworks etc) the new pumps are the wrong size and have a sharp cutout in the outer edge. Speak to Richie moore at Moorespeed he's had his own pump outers made to the correct spec.

Once the crankcase is sorted its easy (as long as the crank is ok)

Apart from that it just looks like a normal airhead :D 95% of them are bolloxed and go for a lot more money than you paid.

I take it you mean this part Rob? Mike is in the chair for the rebuild, I'm guessing he may well see this post and comment.

Attachments

• IMG_1426.jpg
    IMG_1426.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 558
Rob is talking about the oil pump housing in the block, rather than the crank

from what I can see of the housing it looks ok but you'll need to check it against the spec.

Looks like the oil changes have been neglected on your engine. Looks mostly like it just needs a good clean up.

I'm not sure why it should.

Neither do I and wondered that as I was writing but you would hope there is a little more honesty and trust in a forum/community sale.
Obviously, that doesn't mean it's always the case.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Hi Mark have you been on the KR forum, you can pick up lots of advice and there a digital manual downloads for your bike on there
http://www.kr-1s.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=817

Steve

Ps Sorry to hi jack the thread, its sombre reading , but Im sure a great if expensive ending.

Hi Steve,

Yup, got your steer. Ta. :thumb2 Loadsa useful info and inspiration. She was the most dreadful old pile of horrors, but....

We all do it!:blast

I already have most of my bits with the powder coater, the paint sprayer and the electroplater. In a few weeks she'll be a replica of my old proddie racer.

32216425820_94bb957ae2_z.jpg

Me & GADGET can have a race to see who can turn a completely knackered crock 'o shite into a nice old bike.

With a KR1's 4 KIPS valves I reckon it has more moving parts than an airhead so we've both got a similar challenge.

The good news for both GADGET and me is that even if we'd bought much better example I'm sure we'd end up changing all the wearing parts at some time anyway. It just gets them better-sooner: :comfort beerjug:

Oil pump housing is fine,will be fitting new pump rotors and covers anyway,
Along with new mains,big ends ,rings and timing chain kit,
Collected the rest of the aquablasting late yesterday so today's job is cleaning,cleaning cleaning

Attachments

• IMG_1451.jpg
    IMG_1451.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 456
Cylinder heads are prepped and ready to refit,
One of the inlet valves had corroded and had pitting on the face so has been replaced,I also needed to lightly grind one of the exhaust seats to remove some pitting,the rest escaped with light lapping to refinish the sealing faces

Attachments

• IMG_1445.jpg
    IMG_1445.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 454
Looking good Steve, will pop in tomorrow afternoon, if I make it that far:)

Picking up another new to me bike, that I have bought off here and not seen yet, not even a picture! Shock, horror, how silly of me to be so trusting in our fellow UKGSer's.

Looking good Steve, will pop in tomorrow afternoon, if I make it that far:)

Picking up another new to me bike, that I have bought off here and not seen yet, not even a picture! Shock, horror, how silly of me to be so trusting in our fellow UKGSer's.

It does look good John, what are you buying now

Well done Mike - the vapour blasting or whatever really makes a difference, (cosmetically of course) - pity that cannot be done whilst on the Bike - is Soda blasting any good?

If its an early tank it was never meant to be painted

They were a bit porous an consequently they "breathe" and a layer of gases can build below the paint layer

I think it was just not a good paint job to start with, it can be just peeled off by hand, I know because I have removed most of it. I'll leave it with the natural finish, I think. Someone in a previous post suggested they could not be painted, but there is one, finished in a lime green colour on a R100GS, in the Touratech HQ showroom in Germany.

Wanted missing part for my R100GS

I'm missing the frame part that locates the rear of the dual seat and houses the seat lock, if anyone has the complete assembly spare.

Number 6 on the attached.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1c9.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1c9.jpeg
    28.8 KB · Views: 478
Wanted missing part for my R100GS

I'm missing the frame part that locates the rear of the dual seat and houses the seat lock, if anyone has the complete assembly spare.

Number 6 on the attached.

John, looks like they are £20 from Motorworks

Used - Seat grabrail | SER57491
Fits R80GS 88-90, R100GS 88-90, R100PD 88-90, R80GS 91-95, R100GS 91-95,... Show All...

Black tubular steel grabrail, fitted to all GS Paralever models. £20.00 No VAT payable

Stock of this item varies daily. Please call to check availability and condition

Well done Bill, was only in there a week or so ago as well, should have asked, will ring them. :)

John, looks like they are £20 from Motorworks

Used - Seat grabrail | SER57491
Fits R80GS 88-90, R100GS 88-90, R100PD 88-90, R80GS 91-95, R100GS 91-95,... Show All...

Black tubular steel grabrail, fitted to all GS Paralever models. £20.00 No VAT payable

Stock of this item varies daily. Please call to check availability and condition

Well they have the grab rail, but no seat lock to go with it, which is fairly essential, as it holds the rear of the seat down.

Anyone got the seat lock going spare, not fussed if it has a key or nor, preferably the grab rail as well, thanks John.

Back
Top Bottom