My R100GS tale of woe

Won't that centrally mounted oil cooler get a bit hot behind the high mudguard?

No it will be fine. The cooler will still radiate enough heat without the "exra" 5% flow a slotted guard will give. Plenty enough ambient air and when moving more than enough thru flow. I have the same trouble free set up ion my G/S.

Roger I'm going to replace the front mudguard with a white one, so I guess I could get one with slots in, or revert to a low mudguard.

Re the seller, heard nothing, I'm waiting until I've got my final bill from Mikeyboy, so I can work out the cost of rebuilding the engine, which was supposed to have been rebuilt before I bought it.

I hope it works out for you , but the claimed engine rebuild was 8 years ago and I can't see your claim being upheld :(

someone has to say it

The Bike is now worth £4k tops ....... there is a very good R100GSPD Classic advertised on here at £6k ............ and another R100GS on here advertised for£4,250....... for £9k you would probably get a R80GS Basic like mine, the one shown above ...... 15k miles

From the outset it was clear that this project would be very expensive and only worth doing if a Bike had some "sentimental" value to the owner, i.e. he has owned the Bike say from new

IMHO - a complete waste of money, the Bike is still just an old paralever GS and one which looks to have had a "rough" life ........ people seem to get memorised by the letters GS

I have in my pile of swag the extremely rare Acerbis mudguard and rear light - still brand new and in their original bags. I had to import them from the states as they are NLA in Europe

food for thought if you want to tidy the rear end of the bike up

Attachments

• paralever gs.jpg
    paralever gs.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 377
someone has to say it

The Bike is now worth £4k tops ....... there is a very good R100GSPD Classic advertised on here at £6k ............ and another R100GS on here advertised for£4,250....... for £9k you would probably get a R80GS Basic like mine, the one shown above ...... 15k miles

From the outset it was clear that this project would be very expensive and only worth doing if a Bike had some "sentimental" value to the owner, i.e. he has owned the Bike say from new

IMHO - a complete waste of money, the Bike is still just an old paralever GS and one which looks to have had a "rough" life ........ people seem to get memorised by the letters GS

Yes your right Bill, when I realised the extent of the damage, I did consider breaking it for the parts value and cutting my losses, but I didn't and have no regrets.

someone has to say it

Excuse me, you're not allowed to breeze in here spouting stuff like that and breeding discontent I'll have you know. :eek: :D

We shall see........

I hope you have notified the seller that you consider that you have mis-sold and plan to claim compensation. I know you have the photos showing the condition of the engine internals which is an indication that the seller mislead you and I'm sure the seller is aware of this thread. However, he/she should have been given the opportunity to take the bike back against a full refund or offer some sort of compensation towards the engine repairs.

I've been keeping up with the progress of your rebuild/overhaul and it's great to see the progress. Your going to end up with a well sorted bike that you know exactly the history of. We bikers do things with the heart not the purse strings. If the penny's were counted every time a special was built or a old bike brought back to life and former glory most wouldn't happen. It's an interesting thread and there seems to be enough money to do the nessessary work. I know if the same thing happened to me I'd be stuck with it unless I could persuade the seller to give me back the money. I say good luck with it. JJH

I hope you have notified the seller that you consider that you have mis-sold and plan to claim compensation. I know you have the photos showing the condition of the engine internals which is an indication that the seller mislead you and I'm sure the seller is aware of this thread. However, he/she should have been given the opportunity to take the bike back against a full refund or offer some sort of compensation towards the engine repairs.

Chas, I did type a reply, but then deleted, as I considered it was not appropriate at this time.

I'm not being a pain in the arse. I really do wish you the best with your claim against the seller. As far as I'm aware the seller can't hide behind 'sold as seen' in the UK these days.

I'm not being a pain in the arse. I really do wish you the best with your claim against the seller. As far as I'm aware the seller can't hide behind 'sold as seen' in the UK these days.

Thanks Chas, I really am trying to be reasonable in respect of the seller, he did seem to be a nice guy.

After meeting with GADGET Saturday and hm telling me of this ive just sat and read through all the posts on here and got to say John, got some patience mate, you know me that would have been straight back and I would have got my money back but you've stuck with it and between you and Mike have done a sterling job of turning the bike around, the money is only important if you havnt got it if you have good luck to you im sure when you've finished it will be a thing of beauty and you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it, so it will be worth it in the end, they are very rarely worth what you put into them, ive still got my Turbo Hayabusa with 300 rear conversion and 8" stretch that owes me about £20k probably worth £8 but the smile it puts on my face when being ridden is worth it !!
Cant believe the seller has not even made a comment, bit of a bad show to be honest !!
Rob

So who sold this 'project' bike ? I need to update my don't buy from list..

Just read through the entire thread. I feel for you concerning the circumstances under which you came about the bike and I hope that you get some resolution. That can't have been easy to take. I don't think anyone who goes to the extent in a build that you and MB have ever really realise back the cost of the build, but as Adventure Boy has said, money is an issue when you don't have it. If you have been able to afford the build in relative comfort then all good. What you will have though is a bike that will be special to you. Pretty much as new, and an appreciating asset. Integrity is clearly important to you. At least if you do sell it on at some stage you will have the benefit of your reputation remaining intact when you say it was fully rebuilt. Top work, hope you get many enjoyable adventures out of it.

Just read through the entire thread. I feel for you concerning the circumstances under which you came about the bike and I hope that you get some resolution. That can't have been easy to take. I don't think anyone who goes to the extent in a build that you and MB have ever really realise back the cost of the build, but as Adventure Boy has said, money is an issue when you don't have it. If you have been able to afford the build in relative comfort then all good. What you will have though is a bike that will be special to you. Pretty much as new, and an appreciating asset. Integrity is clearly important to you. At least if you do sell it on at some stage you will have the benefit of your reputation remaining intact when you say it was fully rebuilt. Top work, hope you get many enjoyable adventures out of it.

Thanks for your post, it just about sums the situation up and due regard to the guys at Overland & Classic, who have the ability to take such a project on, they are a rare breed in todays times.

You certainly going to have a reliable bike in superb condition when you get it back and I recon the photos of the project can only add to the resale value.

Back
Top Bottom