My R100GS tale of woe

GADGET

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Last month I saw a 1990 R100GS for sale, and despite it looking a bit cosmetically challenged in the pictures, I went and had a look at it, the owner had had the bike for over 10 years and I was told the bike had been Sorned for about 8 years and that just before it had been sorned, the engine had been stripped and rebuilt by a local bike dealer and the gearbox had been replaced with a reconditioned one from Motobins. I was unable to see the bike running, the battery was dead, but I was satisfied the owner was an okay person and I trusted what he was telling me was the truth.

I anticipated cleaning and a rebuild of the carbs, fresh fluids, new tyres, maybe replacing the pushrod rubbers (they looked cracked) and not an awful lot more. I was quite happy to use it in the cosmetically challenged condition and maybe sort that out over the Winter, or next.

So I made an offer, it was not a cheap buy, here is what I bought.

Attachments

• P1070937.jpg
    P1070937.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 1,271
The first thing I did was to buy a new battery, a huge Motobatt.
Once that arrived, it was an easy job to replace the old one.
I turned on the fuel taps and immediately petrol poured out of both the carbs onto the floor, taking off the float bowl I could see a mass of white particles, no way was it going to be starting without that carb rebuild.

Deciding that it would have to be an intense clean to get these working properly led me to Mike Overy ( Mikeyboy off here) and after speaking to Mike I decided to take the bike to him and get the job done properly. Truth is, I had previously, a few years ago, bought a similar bike, which had stood for several years and having rebuild the carbs myself had a hell of a job to set them up again, a case of never again!

Having dropped the bike off with Mike, it was agreed that he would give the bike a good check over and sort out what needed doing.

This is the result, the 'rebuilt' engine:

Attachments

• IMG_1414.jpg
    IMG_1414.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 1,201
  • IMG_1420.jpg
    IMG_1420.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 1,196
The oil pump, it appears to have had a limited amount of oil at some point!

Attachments

• IMG_1417.jpg
    IMG_1417.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 1,207
  • IMG_1418.jpg
    IMG_1418.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 1,209
  • IMG_1419.jpg
    IMG_1419.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 1,227
It appears that the rear seal on the 'rebuilt' gearbox had leaked its oil into the driveshaft housing, which has resulted in the driveshaft sitting in an unintended oil bath for several years, which has wrecked the seals on the drive shaft couplings

Attachments

• IMG_1428.jpg
    IMG_1428.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 1,193
  • IMG_1427.jpg
    IMG_1427.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 1,194
So, having dismantled the bits needing urgent attention we are left with this:

Attachments

• IMG_1429.jpg
    IMG_1429.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 1,190
I'm calling on those experienced airhead guys, where would you go with this next?

It seems to me that you have to decide how much money you're prepared to sink into it and then see if Mikeyboy thinks it can be sorted for that.

Good luck with it but it does look well buggered.

At least having a professional do the work for you albeit at cost, means that progress will be quick and proficient. My R1000 Cafe' Racer project has been 10yrs on the go and counting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jesus h Christ....that's a pity.

Name and shame the vendor!!!

I don't believe this will be an easy resto.

But she's in the right place so good luck with the rest anyway.

I'm calling on those experienced airhead guys, where would you go with this next?

I'll give you £75 quid for it. Delivered.

Actually, f*ck it, I will collect it.

OK, being serious now, sorry to hear your tale of woe. But dont look at it like that, you just know that had it been a shitter but a runner you would probably have done all this as time went along anyway, better to get it all out the way now, sort the bike as you want it, get it on the road, and then just enjoy it as much as possible.

Personally I would stick a few pins in a voodoo doll of the seller then move briskly on, refurbish (note I didnt say "restore") what needs doing to get it in tidy runnning reliable condition with nice mellow patina, configuired as it stands (you cant paint that version of the HPN tank btw) and ride it. A lot.

Back
Top Bottom