When did the R1200GS become Euro-3 Compliant?

sproggy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As a London commuter I'm thinking about the effects of the ULEZ which they're proposing to bring forward to start in April 2019. Euro-3 motorcycles are exempt from the proposed £12.50 daily charge which I certainly won't be paying, one way or another. My '07 bike is slightly too old to be exempted on age but I believe that if I can prove it's Euro-3 compliant it'll be granted exemption. I'm expecting/hoping that BMW might have complied with Euro-3 earlier than they were required to by law.

So, as per the title, when did the K25 R1200GS become Euro-3 compliant, if at all? I've spent ages searching for this info but can't come up with anything conclusive.

According to RAC website Euro 3 type approval came into force on 1st January 2006 and all motorcycles registered after 1st July 2007 should be Euro 3 compliant

Thanks, but that doesn't actually answer my question. Yes, "all motorcycles registered after 1st July 2007 should be Euro 3 compliant" but I'm asking when BMW actually made the K25 model Euro 3 compliant, not the deadline for them to do so. Mine is an '07 model but registered before 1st July. I can't imagine that the spec changed from early '07 to later the same year so my belief is that my bike is probably Euro 3 compliant anyway. What I'm looking for is a means to verify/prove that.

TfL or the Mayor or whoever it is in charge of the ULEZ is trying to take the easy way out and implement a build deadline of 1st July 2007 for exclusion from the charge because from that date they can be confident that all bikes are Euro 3. They are failing to recognise the bikes that were Euro 3 before then - any that were should also be exempt.

Being registered early you will have to get a covering letter from BMW to state it is euro 3 or not. If it was post July you would be able to point to that but as you are pre the word on a forum won't work for you and a certificate of chassis number and compliance will be needed.

If I remember correctly the R1200GS was Euro III compliant at prototype stage, from bumph we had in the workshop when they arrived for the build up PDI (and hide) until the big launch !

Yes as supported by the Grid below

(Actually I seem to recall it was actually Euro IV! but haven't any of that literature now )

Attachments

• Euro Emissions Spec.jpg
    Euro Emissions Spec.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 3,033
If I remember correctly the R1200GS was Euro III compliant at prototype stage, from bumph we had in the workshop when they arrived for the build up PDI (and hide) until the big launch !

That's what I suspected - thanks. Armed with this knowledge I will go to BMW with some confidence to request documentary evidence to support this

Yes as supported by the Grid below

Or not, as that relates to cars, not motorcycles!

(Actually I seem to recall it was actually Euro IV! but haven't any of that literature now )

No, I know that Euro 4 came later for the GS. Not sure when, but I know it was well after 2007.

Okay let me put it this way

Bumph at the time said that it exceeded even the emissions specifications for vehicles at that time and the impending Euro IV spec

That list is cars not bikes, very different adoption times.

Euro 4 on bikes was this year. Cars are now on 6.

This might help you although you will still need proof of age of bike and not fist registration which could be vastly different.

http://transportpolicy.net/index.php?title=EU:_Motorcycles:_Emissions

That list is cars not bikes, very different adoption times.

Euro 4 on bikes was this year. Cars are now on 6.

This might help you although you will still need proof of age of bike and not fist registration which could be vastly different.

http://transportpolicy.net/index.php?title=EU:_Motorcycles:_Emissions

according to that link type approval was 1.1.06 first registration 1.7.07 so am i reading this right as mine was first registration 20.04.07 is it euro 3 compliant?

according to that link type approval was 1.1.06 first registration 1.7.07 so am i reading this right as mine was first registration 20.04.07 is it euro 3 compliant?

You will need to get BMW to certify it, No if but or maybe. It wasn't sold certified because it was pre rules. It might well be compliant but you need a bit of paper that states it is.

A 2007 bike will not even be close to Euro 4 period.

Try Reading What I actually said ...it exceeded even the emissions specifications for vehicles at that time and the impending Euro IV spec

I am talking of first build R1200GSs into N Ireland and presumably dealerships all over UK

So its the spring of 2004 datewise

Do you know how long it actually takes those Fuckwits in Brussels to actually put something into a form of legislation????

Try Reading What I actually said ...it exceeded even the emissions specifications for vehicles at that time and the impending Euro IV spec

I am talking of first build R1200GSs into N Ireland and presumably dealerships all over UK

So its the spring of 2004 datewise

Do you know how long it actually takes those Fuckwits in Brussels to actually put something into a form of legislation????

All true but unless it was sold as Euro whatever compliant you are unlikely to get a certificate that will suit the DVLA. Try it of course but don't expect too much to happen.

All true but unless it was sold as Euro whatever compliant you are unlikely to get a certificate that will suit the DVLA. Try it of course but don't expect too much to happen.

Does it need to suit the DVLA or just whatever legislative body is going to deal with the ULEZ?

A few years ago I was looking for some very specific info on a GS and I was pointed to a German website where you put the VIN number of the bike in and it came up with very detailed info on the bike build and spec. I have just tried to find it but with no luck.

There are various sites that you can search against the VIN. Might be worth spending some time looking into this.

Back
Top Bottom