Oh lordy.

You can use the front downpipes as a heat source, just balance the bearing on one and run the engine, keep an eye on oil temp though!

As i described in my "How to replace the final drive bearing at the side of the road" post more than 10 years ago. :D

As i described in my "How to replace the final drive bearing at the side of the road" post more than 10 years ago. :D
Good ole Steptoe. I must admit I really like James Wright-Roberts' long rambling U-Toob video on FD bearing replacement, with his motto "Temperature Difference is Your Friend."
i.e. one half of the assembly chilled right down to minus zero in the freezer, and the other matching item wrapped in a soaking wet rag and tossed in the microwave. The water stops the component from being overheated by the magnetron's rays.

Worth an hour or so of your time if you really want to hear all the possible ins and outs of a how-to, using the correct not-too-expensive pullers and even a bespoke rubber hammer with lead-shot inside....He's a devil for the detail.

Times like this I'm glad I junked my 1150 for some sensible chain drive :beerjug:

Does your remarkable news vehicle not have wheel bearings? That's all this is - a large wheel bearing...

A wheel supported between two bearings is a whole different load scenario than the wheel - outboard of the two bearings.

Al

Chain and sprockets on my Tiger lasted longer (about 25% longer) than the FD bearings on all my 1150's. :blast

Didn't stop me just buying another one though :D

Another ageing donkey avoids the burger press :thumb

I've never had a FD bearing go in 10 years of 1150 ownership.

Ride down to Turin has been superb. Glorious weather.

As for comments about the aging beast. Changing that bearing is really very straight forward. Admittedly, I wouldn't want to get medieval with one by the roadside (I think just packing a bearing puller is the answer - the whole job could be done in under an hour). But considering it's role, that part is straightforward. I also now think they should be considered a consumable...

While I was in the workshop, there was a Ducati with its rear wheel off. Also a single sided swingarm. But it's interesting how they answered some of the vulnerabilities of the single sided set up.

In Turin now

Montreux stop. Maybe some of you know it overlooking ladle Geneva. Beautiful, when is not raining

20170727_155745.jpg

Which fails pretty often :green gri

62k on mine so far with no issues. Would expect my kwack to need chain and sprockets at 20-30k and the gearbox sprocket is always a pain to shift without a windy gun :)

remembering doing the big bearing in a swanky hotel room.
the whole FD in metals trays on newspaper so no oil spills.
To get the bearing off, I put the crown gear and bearing in the freezer overnight, the bearing being of harder material than the forged and machined crown gear, didnt shrink as much.
To install the new bearing, warmed it in the oven and the crown gear back in the freezer overnight.
I was working at the time so could only work it in the evenings

went well.

That pic above of your GS (so clean) makes me want to go for a ride right now!
itching a bit for a looooooong ride

I forgot to mention. The bike shop/workshop I stopped at might be useful for others and I don't mean just for a breakdown.

Not only were they helpful, they have a big well supplied shop. So if you just arrived off the train and realised you'd forgotten something, these guys are so close (3k from the tunnel - and right beside the A16, which nearly everyone will use to get going on their journey).

Below are the details

Planet R Racing
1 Rue Gutenberg, 62100 Calais, France

546ed89ed28525173876ec74266590ed.jpg

fd53e30fdbf8f66bdbdc83174fa87c62.jpg

Screenshot_2017-07-28-14-29-38.png

remembering doing the big bearing in a swanky hotel room.
the whole FD in metals trays on newspaper so no oil spills.
To get the bearing off, I put the crown gear and bearing in the freezer overnight, the bearing being of harder material than the forged and machined crown gear, didnt shrink as much.
To install the new bearing, warmed it in the oven and the crown gear back in the freezer overnight.
I was working at the time so could only work it in the evenings

went well.

That pic above of your GS (so clean) makes me want to go for a ride right now!
itching a bit for a looooooong ride
That made me laugh. The vision of your room in this 5 star hotel made into a workshop. I bet the cleaners had a laugh when they looked in the bin

Thanks. The GS isn't bad and people comment on it. But when it's your own bike, you see only the bits that need work!

Is glorious down here. Get your bike out

I forgot to mention. The bike shop/workshop I stopped at might be useful for others and I don't mean just for a breakdown.

Not only were they helpful, they have a big well supplied shop. So if you just arrived off the train and realised you'd forgotten something, these guys are so close (3k from the tunnel - and right beside the A16, which nearly everyone will use to get going on their journey).

Below are the details

Planet R Racing
1 Rue Gutenberg, 62100 Calais, France

546ed89ed28525173876ec74266590ed.jpg

fd53e30fdbf8f66bdbdc83174fa87c62.jpg

View attachment 347709

And just down the road from Pidou where they have an awesome selection of Belgian beers... :thumb

Well. The old crate got me all the way home .

And it got a thorough thrashing on the way back, with lots and lots of luggage. I'm no longer spooked

But I think it took me 3hrs to get home from the train on this side cos of junction closure madness on the M20. Arghhhhh

'Andsome. Is that a Sergeant seat?
Yes. Well spotted. Makes a big big difference on long journeys (which is all I use it for), though it does cater for a much bigger bum than mine

Back
Top Bottom