Oh lordy.

Slipperyeel

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Right. Those of you looking at the Hex head section will know I've had some fun with my rear tyre. That was all sorted with a new one

I've just got to the French side of the tunnel (well 1hr ago). Felt something odd. Thought "not a friggin puncture, again?!".

No it isn't. The bloody FD big bearing has gone!!!

20170726_120809.jpg

I have a replacement bearing and seal with me plus tools. And I'm right next to a bmw car dealers that has a workshop.

Right now the recovery outfit is due here in 15-20min. I explained the two things I would welcome is a decent hammer and a source of heat.

So let's see. This could be fixed in the next couple of hours, unless I discover the debris has done some damage.

But I got no warning at all that there was anything amiss...it's only 3yrs old and about 20k miles.

I just need to be in Turin by Friday! Arghhhhh

I just love an 'Oh Lordy' story. Keep it coming.
Remember way back while crossing over the Ardennes fully loaded on the airhead when the front wheel bearings seized. Still had to carry on and could see the axle turning as I plodded along to the nearest BMW dealer in Belgium.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep. Never a dull moment!

I seriously hope I can just this new bearing on and get going.

You can use the front downpipes as a heat source, just balance the bearing on one and run the engine, keep an eye on oil temp though!

You can use the front downpipes as a heat source, just balance the bearing on one and run the engine, keep an eye on oil temp though!
I was thinking that. And might have tried it. But the other thing I need is a hammer...

So the plan is to get taken to a bike shop with a garage, I take it all apart, they help me take the old bearing off and fit the new. I reassemble.

But if I discover there is something worse going on in there, then I'll get taken home tonight/tomorrow.

It's s long shot, but would anyone know a motorcycle workshop/garage in Calais?

I mean one they would recommend

Update. Being picked up and taken to a bike workshop who are apparently very happy to help. Maybe they'll have a suitable bearing puller. That'll make short work of the fiddly bit.

Ok. Progress over here. Got myself to a superb garage. All the kit and super accommodating. Bearing hub was of in 15min. But took a lot friggin longer to get the bearing off.

They have degreasing machined the lot, and a press to fit the new bearing. Bloody excellent. Hub in the fridge. I'm cleaning the rear wheel. Bearing should be on in the next 15min, then 15min of reassembly. I hope that's the end of it!

Some pics for you. ..

20170726_155614.jpg
20170726_160334.jpg
20170726_160319.jpg
20170726_170827.jpg
20170726_170850.jpg

I suspect the cage gave up. But as I said, I changed the oil a few weeks back and it looked Ok.

I was bombing down to the train. I am mighty happy it didn't happen then!

Can some one remind of e torque settings for the bolts that hold the cover on.

I remember it being really low,like llnm?

Cheers

Beaten to it
1e43d167e2596e691e2470b28ef4d30e.jpg

Hope you get this sorted and can continue with your trip.....:beerjug:

Could you imagine that happening here,

"Sorry, can't book you into the workshop until next week"

"Sorry, can't let you into our workshop health and saftey you know"

"Sorry, can't let you do your own work, you may sue us later on if it goes wrong"

"Sorry, you have to be a ""trained"" technician to use that tool.

Hope all goes well, and you make your connection

Update!

Got to my mate's in Stuttgart, at 2am!

Drove out of the bike shop straight into a 15km traffic jam! Mamma mia.

Anyway, FD is all good . But I'll be honest, that friggin bearing spooked me. Spent the next 200 miles thinking 'what's that?!' 'Is that Ok? '. But by the time out was dark and I was negotiating some big sweepers down here I was enjoying .

Heading off to Turn in 30min for the next leg. Big breakfast to finish first.

And yes, rode guys in the workshop were so accommodating. But they could do with some different bearing pullers!

Thanks for help and interest guys.

ps. Steptoe. Thanks for the tip. Riding of the stand is brilliant .

Feck knows why I didn't think of it before.

Back
Top Bottom