New display on GS Adventure Rallye

My KTM has the new Bosch clocks. They're very good, and make the current GS clocks look antiquated, but I certainly wouldn't change my GS just for the new style clocks. If anyone is thinking of changing now, just to get the new clocks, I'd wait if I were you, as these are new to BMW (and any other manufacturer that has them). Over the next few months, more functionality will be released, and bugs will be ironed out (there have been a few issues on the KTM clocks apparently).

Hi

I think they're all fair point and I agree with you. Its not really just the display I was changing for, I just really quite liked the look of the blue/white rallye finish and if I'm changing its good to see one or two reasonable differences on a new bike so that's why I was wondering originally if the display was standard or part of the connectivity option. T o add little more to the story. I originally bought a olive green wc adventure in 2014 which I loved , but unfortunately while in Argentina myself and bike were swept off the road into a river. As I couldn't really repair the damage myself, so I traded the bike for a new ocean blue one last year and I suppose I've never for some unknown reason been that struck on the colour. :nenau

Its Funny really, if you go back 35 years (that sounds a lot, but I still feel 17 in my head, shame my body hasn't fared so well, anyway) 35 years ago we had no mobiles, no internet, no 100s of sky tv channels, no electronic everything in cars and bikes, no broadband, no apps, no a million passwords to remember, we didn't have 50 types of everything in a supermarket and no isis and we really had a simpler world , but I suppose every generation says the same.

I like a bit of new stuff and technology as long as it relatively simple and I can understand how to work it. I usually delete or ignore what I can do without, but like everyone else we all have a choice to what we spend our money on. the companies will always try to sell us more stuff for more money, no change there, so I suppose what I'm trying to say in a long winded way is as long were happy with what we all choose to buy and it doesn't hurt anyone, who cares, I just cant fight it any more so I just enjoy it while I can.

There's a lot of truth in that :thumb2

My KTM has the new Bosch clocks. They're very good, and make the current GS clocks look antiquated, but I certainly wouldn't change my GS just for the new style clocks.

Agreed. When I tested the 1290 I was really impressed with the dash. However, after only a few hours with the bike I became somewhat nonchalant to it. TFT displays are great and a positive step forward, but 99% of the time all I care about is how fast I'm going and how fast I should be going.

Hi

... unfortunately while in Argentina myself and bike were swept off the road into a river.

Oh, I hate it when that happens. We've all changed our bikes cos of that from time to time... ;)

Strewth mate, that must be the most hard core reason I've ever heard for changing to a new bike! Or else your missus must really need some convincing! :D

(Obviously you're OK, or I wouldn't be making light of your situation)

Its Funny really, if you go back 35 years (that sounds a lot, but I still feel 17 in my head, shame my body hasn't fared so well, anyway) 35 years ago we had no mobiles, no internet, no 100s of sky tv channels, no electronic everything in cars and bikes, no broadband, no apps, no a million passwords to remember, we didn't have 50 types of everything in a supermarket and no isis and we really had a simpler world , but I suppose every generation says the same.

Yeah I go back to those times as well,

In reality what we had was NO ELECTRICITY, bags of rubbish lining the streets, poverty at home because of the strikes. No health and safety at all, anywhere. Stood in a Piss filled telephone box trying to pick the chewing gum out of the slot before attempting to make a phone call. IRA Bombing the pubs, clubs and hotels. Sunday lunch at Grandparents house thick with Pipe & Cigarette Smoke, staying out late playing with your mates hating the idea of going home to a bad tempered Mum and Knackered from work Dad. Mates being beaten regularly by their drunk parents. Poor road networks, taking 12 hours to get to Cornwall or a shitty holiday in Blackpool, stuck in traffic jams, no air-conditioning, vinyl seats, no seat belts. Cigarette smoke filled cars, restaurants, workplace . Drink Driving everywhere.

No fucking thanks.

I like the NOW AND PRESENT. It feels way better.

In reality what we had was NO ELECTRICITY, bags of rubbish lining the streets, poverty at home because of the strikes. No health and safety at all, anywhere. Stood in a Piss filled telephone box trying to pick the chewing gum out of the slot before attempting to make a phone call. IRA Bombing the pubs, clubs and hotels. Sunday lunch at Grandparents house thick with Pipe & Cigarette Smoke, staying out late playing with your mates hating the idea of going home to a bad tempered Mum and Knackered from work Dad. Mates being beaten regularly by their drunk parents. Poor road networks, taking 12 hours to get to Cornwall or a shitty holiday in Blackpool, stuck in traffic jams, no air-conditioning, vinyl seats, no seat belts. Cigarette smoke filled cars, restaurants, workplace . Drink Driving everywhere.

No fucking thanks.

There's a lot of truth in that as well ... and Derri Boots :D

No fucking thanks.

Yeah, and whilst you were having all that fun, what you hadn't realised was that you were doing it at the modern generation's expense! Selfish buggers, weren't we. ;)

...... but 99% of the time all I care about is how fast I'm going and how fast I should be going.

Good point. Mostly all I want to know is my GPS (real) speed and the speed limit on the road I'm on which I get from the Sat Nav which is closer to my vision anyway.

Lol,

Now you've made me laugh, you forgot to mention bullying sods at school and caravan holidays in the rain. you made a good point, maybe simpler wasn't always great, I'm sure the young lads going up the chimneys in Victorian times would also agree.

At least we can have a smile about it and round the world there's a lot worse off than us :tarka:beerjug:

Will our speed finally be displayed accurately now on this all new display?

Will our speed finally be displayed accurately now on this all new display?

No.

It'll be a digital readout of your actual speed less 10%

Your GPS will be a digital readout of your actual speed.

Pick whichever you like, but they'll be different.

No.

It'll be a digital readout of your actual speed less 10%

Your GPS will be a digital readout of your actual speed.

Pick whichever you like, but they'll be different.

The speedo is not allowed to under read, so generally it displays a higher speed than you are actually doing - is what you meant? I think with analogue systems it used to be a percentage so you had a bigger margin at higher speeds, but I've come to the conclusion with modern vehicles with electronic speed measurement, that there is actually a fixed offset. With my car and last few bikes it seems like the speedo reads about 3 mph high across the whole range. Unfortunately, knowing this I now automatically ride a little faster than the speed limit, so it still doesn't give me any margin for error! :)

I have come to that conclusion by comparing with GPS which is pretty accurate at a steady speed, and also those radar speed displays on some roads, though GPS can lag when accelerating and can also be fooled by the terrain. For example on a slope your position on the earth's surface with respect to the GPS satellites won't change as quickly as your position on the road, so GPS could under read your speed slightly, depending on the severity of the slope.

Fred

Yes yes I've heard the argument it can't read pessimistic but others have speedometers that are almost spot on including my car, truck, and Harley. So BMW could too if they chose to, right?

I believe the regs were that the speedometer could over read by a max of 10%, but it mustn't under read.

Back
Top Bottom