Bike refused to switch off.

Halfa1200

Reaction score
How's this for weird.
Went for a ride this morning of my F700GS, came home and parked up in the garage. Came back 2 hours later and turned on the ignition so I can move the bike without setting off the tracker. Turned the key to off, lights still on and the instruments lights also still on. Squirted some electrical cleaner into the key slot and everything is fine now. Must be all the rain getting into the switch so I have found a plastic lid that fits over the ignition switch ring and will put that on when leaving the bike in the rain.

Weird or what !

My 2009 800gs sometimes does weird stuff re ignition. A few times I've parked up at work and left it in the car park all off as normal, only to get a phone call a few hours later telling me my lights are on?? It's only the small headlight bulb not main bulbs that are the issue. I have to go out and turn ignition on and off and it's fine again. This had happened a handful of times over the 6 years I've owned it. It's been checked by mechanic but nothing found. I give it a squit of the slippery stuff every now and then that seems to help but as yet no answers. I now carry a small jump starter just in case.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Ignition switch needs replacing. That's the microswitch underneath the lock barrel.

I had similar issues with mine up in Scotland a few months ago. There's a thread on here about it, with a link to loads of photos, it's a dead easy job to strip the ignition and get the microswitch unit out to de gunk it and blast it with WD40.

Back
Top Bottom