Current Rage in France

Yea it does look like someone from the fun fare got set free in a Lego factory doesnt it :D

Im just wondering how fireproof his boot are with the exhaust being so close to the footpegs

Looking at the thin seat a rider must get saddlesore after an hour of riding; then again, perhaps its only ridden for a few minutes to the local shops.

OK if it's already an old parts bin beater otherwise they're throwing money away in the long run so they better enjoy looking at what they've done.

Here's another beauty

Attachments

• IMG_0030.jpg
    IMG_0030.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 265
ChasF is getting a bit 'Grayson Perry' with that beauty.

How about this one ......... https://www.opumo.com/magazine/delux-motorcycle-pays-homage-to-mad-max-with-a-bmw-r65/ That seat looks even more painful than the flat boards we usually see. I'm not sure anyone would even make the local biker cafe without that saddle disappearing where the sun don't shine.

Yet another old airhead bites the dust. This just has to stop - it's criminal!

ChasF is getting a bit 'Grayson Perry' with that beauty.

How about this one ......... https://www.opumo.com/magazine/delux-motorcycle-pays-homage-to-mad-max-with-a-bmw-r65/ That seat looks even more painful than the flat boards we usually see. I'm not sure anyone would even make the local biker cafe without that saddle disappearing where the sun don't shine.

Yet another old airhead bites the dust. This just has to stop - it's criminal!

I like engineering, can't be doing with gay paint jobs. A lot of this hipster stuff seems to be more about taking arty photos rather than rideable bikes. The bike in your link is ok in my book, but still a bit pointless.

I'm curious, is this urban biker scene a big thing in the UK? Or is it just like France where these bike are exhibited and sometimes advertised for sale but never actually ridden.

Seems to be for every 1 bike of this ilk that is well engineered, well thought out , well built and well finished there are another 99 absolute and utter scumbuggerations of poorly executed pieces of shit

The give away is the knobbie tires - I put a set on a 40 hp decrepit old Funduro and found that, ridden the same way that I did with Anekee 3s which lasted 15,000 km, the tread vanished at the rate of 1mm every 5 km.

60km would kill a set, and I usually go further for a coffee, so I would need to have the coffee in the waiting area of a tire dealer!

If the bike is actually ridden you are looking at 3 sets of tires per tankfull of juice, unless you slow down to pushbike speeds when you might be able to coax 1000 km out of them, which might explain the huge tanks on some- they probably do tires and fuel at the same time.
But as on every picture of the bikes with knobbies the tires are almost unworn it just proves that they just dont get ridden, and as most dont look either road legal or rideable this shouldnt surprise anyone with an IQ higher than his knob count!

I'm curious, is this urban biker scene a big thing in the UK? Or is it just like France where these bike are exhibited and sometimes advertised for sale but never actually ridden.

Yes it is quite a big thing (although there is hope it's now in it's descendancy as the next "big thing" is looked for) - the owners are generically known as "Hipsters" and really the bike is little more than a fashion accesory/trinket rather than transport or something to be ridden and enjoyed. Or even understood. The most important thing is it, and you, looks "right" in your "lifestyle" rather than have any true utility.

How I long for the days when bikers were, well, bikers - if you messed with one or fuc*ked with a bikers bike you were liable to end up with a life changing injury. Happier days.........(sort of)

Every time I read or hear some derogatory remark about so called 'hipsters' my first thought is 'well at least there is another generation of motorcyclists and it's not dying out'. Each generation has had its fads and fashions, 50's and 60's had perfectly good bikes turned into cafe racers. The 60's and 70's had choppers ( remember those creations?) 80's had streetfighters. Let's not be so precious. The bikes that are being customised are not rare. I for one , having lived through all the previously aforementioned fashions think it's healthy for motorcycling.
Paul.

we used to buy brit bikes and their parts from guys who had been rockers in their day. They always used to say "You're not going to chop it are you?" which made me laugh because most of the bikes were cafe racers with hideous fibreglass tanks and seats (nothing like the polished ally tanks that most cafe racers of the era were portrayed with) we actually tracked down a lot of the original parts and built our interpretation of the bikes of the era which weren't technically correct but were still nice usable machines.

Every time I read or hear some derogatory remark about so called 'hipsters' my first thought is 'well at least there is another generation of motorcyclists and it's not dying out'. Each generation has had its fads and fashions, 50's and 60's had perfectly good bikes turned into cafe racers. The 60's and 70's had choppers ( remember those creations?) 80's had streetfighters. Let's not be so precious. The bikes that are being customised are not rare. I for one , having lived through all the previously aforementioned fashions think it's healthy for motorcycling.
Paul.

Spot on.

As for hipsters..... well I've had a beard since 1987, I've always bought good quality bread, I like beer and honey and I've always wanted a scrambler since watching the great escape as a kid in the sixties.
As you have said there is nothing new.
As for looking cool.................... isn't that why we all got into motorbikes in the first place - be honest :D :beerjug:

As for looking cool.................... isn't that why we all got into motorbikes in the first place - be honest :D :beerjug:

Definately not in my case and I've never knowingly managed to look cool in all the years since :)

I think the point being made earlier was that these "hipsters" are not the next generation of motorcyclists. Many just
want these chopped bikes as lifestyle accessories just like their taste in clothing etc. Some of those bikes, besides looking awful, are simply unridable for any length of time - just look at the seats on some of them ! Not to mention some of the
tyres !! They seem to spend more time about looking cool and taking arty photos. It reminds me of that god-awful TV show with David Beckham and mates riding in South America. :barf
I take your point though about the café racer, chopper, streefighter eras. These are not rare bikes but prices have risen a tad for decent original bikes because, I reckon, many have been chopped. The same thing happened with GSX-R's after the streetfighter era - original ones were harder to get.
Live and let live, to each their own I guess....but I do cringe when I see a potentially "nice" bike being turned into a badly done "hipster" machine ! :(

Every time I read or hear some derogatory remark about so called 'hipsters' my first thought is 'well at least there is another generation of motorcyclists and it's not dying out'.

"Hipsters" also seem to ride their bikes all year round, not park them up for winter, good for them, as you say, young blood riding bikes has to be a benefit for us all :thumb2

"Hipsters" also seem to ride their bikes all year round, not park them up for winter, good for them, as you say, young blood riding bikes has to be a benefit for us all :thumb2

Not my perception of 'hipsters' but what do I know - heaven forbid, actually riding your custom motorcycle, s'pose you pay someone to clean it and just chuck your timberlands n the bin if they get wet.

I do agree that youngsters riding bikes is a benefit to us all, shame it is so unaffordable. Here in France, I would say that the average age is much younger than in the UK but I ve never seen any custom bikes apart from Harleys. Most younger riders are on standard, non descript Jap bikes and the older riders are on GSes or RTs.

Back
Top Bottom