Basecamp / Mac can't see maps loaded on my Nav 6

Hubcap

Reaction score
Had a nightmare with new BMW Nav 6 / Basecamp user trying to plan routes while touring Spain.

Very long story short, have enabled maps on ine but when connected to my Nav 6, Basecamp on my mac can see my Nav 6, but cant see the maps on the device, other than the Global one with no detail.
Trying to plan a route on my mac on that basis is futile.
Garmin support worse than useless as I waste a lot of time telling them the same thing over and over again, and laughably they emailed me to say they don't actually have a Nav6, to try to replicate the issue. They were attempting using a PC and some car sat nav. Derrrr!

I also experienced multiple crashes when using the skip button on way points.

Frustrating when Google maps handles all of this with aplomb. £650 seems like an expensive mistake when faced with this.

Wise counsel welcomed...

Thanks

i use Basecamp On the Mac, Seems to work ok. You have the latest version of Basecamp and Garmin express installed ?

Theres another windows based / Google mapping software called Motogoloco . that works great with the Mac, However it can be tricky trying to transfer the routes to the Nav in the beginning, but once ou get the hang of it its easy enough.

Is the garmin mounted as a drive? in OSX?

If so does it have a folder called Map? Is the maps on the SD card or the Nav itself?

Attachments

• BMW screen shot BC2.jpeg
    BMW screen shot BC2.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 131
yes OSX 10.12.1. Yes mounted as drive, can see files. I have not added an SD card to the Nav6.
There are only three files in the 'Map' folder:
D6210030A.img
D6210030A.gma
D6210030A.unl

yes OSX 10.12.1. Yes mounted as drive, can see files. I have not added an SD card to the Nav6.
There are only three files in the 'Map' folder:
D6210030A.img
D6210030A.gma
D6210030A.unl

Yeah thats the correct files, in that case I would get rid of Basecamp, drag it to the trash, empty it and then reinstall. Even better use appzapper if you have it.

OK. Downloaded basecamp from Garmin's site and reinstalled.
Got this error message;
Alert. There was a problem communicating with the Garmin device.
Path: /Volumes/GARMIN/gpx/CurrentTrackLog.gpx

Once again I can see the nav 6 in basecamp but not the maps.

I'm ready to give up. I don't expect to have this level of hassle with a consumer product. I'm not a technophobe. I own a software company. I am a hasslephobe though and I recon that in my 10 days of Nav6 ownership i've had at least 15 hours of hassle.

Why not just install the maps to your Mac, then (at least until you sort the problem out) you'll be able to use the Mac to plot routes or whatever it is you want to do.

Easy, drag it to the desktop (so you have a backup), then drag the one on the device to the trash and empty the trash, disconnect, reconnect.

You are correct though, you shouldnt have to mess around with a 600 quid bit of kit. I am day one of use. Used garmins alot though.

Why not just install the maps to your Mac, then (at least until you sort the problem out) you'll be able to use the Mac to plot routes or whatever it is you want to do.

Thats the next step, open garmin express and copy maps to the computer takes about 30mins with good USB3 connection.

Back
Top Bottom