Vapour blasting Swansea

lewisjohn

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've just picked up my R100 engine from Swansea Powder Coating after having it vapour blasted,great job and very reasonably priced.Itll be so much nicer rebuilding a spotlessly clean engine.
The owners name is David O'Neill, based in Pontardulais ,he's just starting out with vapour blasting , powder coating etc.

Attachments

• IMG_3067.jpg
    IMG_3067.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 952
whatever you do ultrasonicly clean those cases several times before you use them. I used to have a vapour blaster and it amazed me how many beads would come out of the cases during ultrasonic cleaning. The tank would have a layer in them even when you though they were perfectly clean.

did you have the gearbox blasted without stripping it down?

whatever you do ultrasonicly clean those cases several times before you use them. I used to have a vapour blaster and it amazed me how many beads would come out of the cases during ultrasonic cleaning. The tank would have a layer in them even when you though they were perfectly clean.

did you have the gearbox blasted without stripping it down?
Hi Rob
I did have the gearbox done as is,but plugged all of the holes,speedo drive,airbox bolt hole,clutch rod hole and drive shaft flange,I intend taking the cover off the box just to make sure there's no contamination.If there is any sign I'll completely strip and clean it.

Hi Rob
I did have the gearbox done as is,but plugged all of the holes,speedo drive,airbox bolt hole,clutch rod hole and drive shaft flange,I intend taking the cover off the box just to make sure there's no contamination.If there is any sign I'll completely strip and clean it.

I didn't mean that to comes across like a whiney old git but the pressure the ultrasonic guns use if phenomenal and will easily get the beads under the seals.

I didn't mean that to comes across like a whiney old git but the pressure the ultrasonic guns use if phenomenal and will easily get the beads under the seals.

No problem,I'm always happy to take advice,I'll definitely take off the cover ,it looks like it's got a new gasket,so its probably had some work done in the past.

No problem,I'm always happy to take advice,I'll definitely take off the cover ,it looks like it's got a new gasket,so its probably had some work done in the past.

Took the drive flange off and the rear cover,sure enough there was media contamination inside the box so it's a complete strip down and clean.

Bugger!

Not a lot will stop vapour blast media.
Well I had to strip the box down to its component parts to get all the media out,spent around four hours with the parts washer and air line. Bearings seem very good,I'll change all the oil seals and gaskets and reassemble.
Lesson learnt,don't listen to people who tell you you don't need to strip a gearbox to clean it in a vapour blaster.

It's a pleasure to work on something so clean,I was a little bit concerned at the amount of blast media was left in some of the cavitys in the crankcases,but a couple of hours with an air line and power washer and I'm reasonably happy that it's clear.
The pushrod tubes from Chris Shaw were a perfect fit and look great.

Attachments

• IMG_3092.jpg
    IMG_3092.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 625

Back
Top Bottom