End of cpu!

Deano64

Reaction score
9 half years old, serviced every year by dealer, 18000 miles! Cpu / ecu finished ! Must be a first for an 800gs ( one of the first)'. Maybe time to move on or pack it in!

Get someone with a GS911 to plug it in and read any codes also check the wiring harness for broken wires sometimes dealer techs will not have the time to fully check out the problem and just say what is on their diagnostic screen ECU not communicating so the fault is the ECU is dead when the real problem is a broken wire or bad connection.

Get someone with a GS911 to plug it in and read any codes also check the wiring harness for broken wires sometimes dealer techs will not have the time to fully check out the problem and just say what is on their diagnostic screen ECU not communicating so the fault is the ECU is dead when the real problem is a broken wire or bad connection.
I did ask them if they had checked the wiring and antennae (they put a new one on) and they said all that was ok. Ecu already ordered now. If a new one doesn't work, no need for payment?

I did ask them if they had checked the wiring and antennae (they put a new one on) and they said all that was ok. Ecu already ordered now. If a new one doesn't work, no need for payment?

That must have hurt lets hope its the end of your problems

That must have hurt lets hope its the end of your problems
It did (will) hurt, but all I've spent on bike in 9 and half years is servicing and 2 batteries. I'm on original brake pads and they're only 40% worn! I do a lot of engine braking and anticipation�� Also my chain is the original recall replacement (after the original cheap Czech rubbish) and shows no sign of stretching or wear ( used profi dri lube and Wurth dri lube all along)

This happened to me at 5 years / 50k miles. I complained that the ECU should reasonably last the lifetime of the bike. After some discussion my dealers supported that and applied to BMW. After considering it, BMW decided to pay for the ECU as long as I would pay for the fitting, which I agreed to.

9 half years old, serviced every year by dealer, 18000 miles! Cpu / ecu finished ! Must be a first for an 800gs ( one of the first)'. Maybe time to move on or pack it in!

2000 miles a year? The bike probably thought you'd packed it in already... :p

This happened to me at 5 years / 50k miles. I complained that the ECU should reasonably last the lifetime of the bike. After some discussion my dealers supported that and applied to BMW. After considering it, BMW decided to pay for the ECU as long as I would pay for the fitting, which I agreed to.

Mmm. I didn't argue too much since it's comng up for 10 years old next year, but agree - it should last life of bike. Maybe 10 years is the life of these bikes ?????

2000 miles a year? The bike probably thought you'd packed it in already... :p

I know - it only gets used in Summer .. on dry days !!! Not a hard life !!
Must try to ride it some more when fixed. The 2000 miles / year is an average. It was higher in the early years of ownership, so you can imagine what the latter years mileages have been :blast

Mmm. I didn't argue too much since it's comng up for 10 years old next year, but agree - it should last life of bike.

The vast majority do. They're very reliable but you'll always get some failures.
Electronic items tend to fail randomly i.e. Not age related, so the age of the bike doesn't really come into it.

The vast majority do. They're very reliable but you'll always get some failures.
Electronic items tend to fail randomly i.e. Not age related, so the age of the bike doesn't really come into it.

Mmm it's just an expensive failure ! However, not spent much on it over the years apart from servicing and 2 batteries. This one's just a shock to the system !!

Electronics generally fail early in the life cycle or when worn out at the end of the life cycle age does come in to it

I have a GS 911 only in Wakefield contact me if you need

Thanks for the offer, but I pick up my repaired bike tomorrow. Maybe time to think about changing bike since its 9 half years old. What might go next ????

Electronics generally fail early in the life cycle or when worn out at the end of the life cycle age does come in to it

Yes, you get some early failures and some age related, but not enough to characterise the distribution. I wouldn't agree with 'generally'.
The main characteristic of the failure distribution for complex electronic assemblies is exponential. The hazard rate being constant.

Yes, you get some early failures and some age related, but not enough to characterise the distribution. I wouldn't agree with 'generally'.
The main characteristic of the failure distribution for complex electronic assemblies is exponential. The hazard rate being constant.

Electronics failure rate is a classic bath tub curve ;)

Back
Top Bottom