Toolkits: how much and what?

Ogmios

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Contentious issue :rolleyes:
But really: i seem to carry half of the contents of Halfords (Cali 3) around with me and i know it's just wrong. :blast

So, how much is enough and (the hardest bit) what to carry?
... oh, and taking it for granted that a puncture kit and spare cables are a given. :nenau

What i do when I get a new to me bike is go around the nuts and bolts and put a tool kit together in a old tool rool. A multi tool is handy puncture kit tubeless tyers are pereferd and enough spanners to take off a wheel. A little torch/head torch is handy plyers small vicegrip a few bits of wire a bit of duck tape pointy nose plyers. I dont bring a plug wrench, hammer or sets of anything. 1 screwdriver slotted one end and philips the other. Fot when there is tubes involved 2 tyer levers. JJH

Bye the way I dont carry the above every day. Just a puncture kit and multi tool. The rest goes on when I'm touring. Hopefully I'l never need them but I might be able to help someone out. JJH

This is mine and covers most things. nive kreiga toolroll. I also have a pocket plug and go tyre plugger and small compressor

The best screwdriver for motorcycles is the Harley 8 in 1. Great price and made by Snap on cost £20.71 http://www.jerseyh-d.com/PartSearch?search=94669-00

94669-00_TT

Attachments

• toolkit 1.jpg
    toolkit 1.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 300
  • toolkit 2.jpg
    toolkit 2.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 307
:aidan :D

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170730-205241.jpg
    Screenshot_20170730-205241.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 255
RAC card.

I do have a few choice tools as well, but with the over complication of modern machines, whilst very reliable means a lot of tasks are beyond anybody without a laptop. - can't clean out the main jets if they get clogged....

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

I don't think the OPs bike suffers from the modern affliction of too much tech! Like most airhead BMs is easily fixed at the side of the road.

On my R100GS I carry the standard tool roll less the tyre levers. Tyre kit comprises a stripped down Ring compressor with a DIN plug, standard BMW tubeless repair kit and a tyre pressure gauge. I have a seperate bag which has a multimeter, long piece of wire with croc clips on either end, crimps of various types, a couple of Scotchloks and some chocolate block. I also have a box wedged into the spare space next to the battery which contains nuts and bolts, cable ties, insulating tape, teflon tape, araldite, super glue, iron wire etc.. I also carry a spare ICU and I would carry a bean can but they're quite expensive even secondhand.

I've owned the bike for 27 years and at one point or another used 90% of the above but never had to have the bike trucked to a garage.

I don't think the OPs bike suffers from the modern affliction of too much tech! Like most airhead BMs is easily fixed at the side of the road.

On my R100GS I carry the standard tool roll less the tyre levers. Tyre kit comprises a stripped down Ring compressor with a DIN plug, standard BMW tubeless repair kit and a tyre pressure gauge. I have a seperate bag which has a multimeter, long piece of wire with croc clips on either end, crimps of various types, a couple of Scotchloks and some chocolate block. I also have a box wedged into the spare space next to the battery which contains nuts and bolts, cable ties, insulating tape, teflon tape, araldite, super glue, iron wire etc.. I also carry a spare ICU and I would carry a bean can but they're quite expensive even secondhand.

I've owned the bike for 27 years and at one point or another used 90% of the above but never had to have the bike trucked to a garage.
Chas, isn't an Intensive Care Unit a bit over the top? :beerjug:

Rob,
Thank you looking at that is Very Helpful. Seems to be as much as is practical / sensible.
Chas and Edward,
if anyone needs intensive care, it's Mrs Og - putting up with my annual sort-the-tools-out-before-the annual-tour neurosis. :blush
Thanks for the replies - especially Rob!:thumb2

Next up,
how to fix the broken bit of topbox carrier/Givi luggage set up with a rubber 'bumper' between them, to soften the bounce over bumps.* :augie

*perhaps not helped by the amount of feckin tools in the topbox! :blast
(actually i've seen two other Cali 3's with the same problem - so it aint just me! :p

Anna nother thing,
i don't carry much electrical stuff, just fuses, bulbs (for France) and 12v test probe with a light.
Coz i'm awful at diagnosis of electrics - so not much point!
I'm o.k. at obviously broken things and inventive bodges - so carry lots of little that'll-come-in-handy's, like chemical metal, bits of wire, solderless nipples, gaffer tape, odd nuts and bolts (there's even two chain links - and i've not had a chain driven Bike in years! :rolleyes:) .
But for sure, i have 'doubles' - too many screwdriver bits / allen key bits / sockets AND ring when one would do. (But WHICH one!!! :eek: )
THAT is what i need to SortF*ckingOut! :banghead:
EDIT:
at least this year i'm not taking the impact driver or battery charger ... :rolleyes:

Very boring I know, but I weighed the G/S kit ( as above but with tubes and tyre levers) and it came in at 6kg.

Over weight ...

Very boring I know, but I weighed the G/S kit ( as above but with tubes and tyre levers) and it came in at 6kg.

Not boring - when it's bouncing around the topbox. :eek:
I'm trying to find a spot on the Bike i can stash some or all of a tool kit for that very reason.
A leather bag under the headlamp aint it.:D

I use a Kriega US10 which has all sorts of fixing clips and loops so can be fitted pretty much anywhere on top of or underneath other luggage.

Back
Top Bottom