Aragon MotoGP

MaxB

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone had any experience of visiting the Aragon MotoGP by bike that they would like to share.

Last year, the Mrs and I took the ferry to Bilbao on the GS, and rode down into Aragon state where we stayed at a fantastic hotel near Valderrobres, south of Alcaniz, which is properly in the middle of nowhere. It's a lovely area, wooded in parts, and desolate semi-desert in others, with great empty roads and some nice tracks through the mountains to boot. On the way there, we passed the Circuito de Aragon, where the GP is held.

So, this year we decided to return, and take in the race as well. We've already bought tickets for the grandstand at the end of the main straight (about 100 Euros each for the weekend, as I remember it), but just wondered if anyone had any other top tips on parking/spectating/eating/drinking etc? Anyone else planning a visit this year?

Cheers,

Max

Have you got your hotel booked? It's always a nightmare getting accommodation close to the GP circuits on race weekend. I haven't been to Aragon when the race is on but colleagues who are on the circuit tend to book a long, long way in advance (as in, usually when the calendar is announced at the start of the year).

rode down into Aragon state where we stayed at a fantastic hotel near Valderrobres, south of Alcaniz, which is properly in the middle of nowhere.

It maybe easier for bods to find the fantastic hotel if you give its name and even a vague address. A website will do.

parking at the racetrack no problem for bikes - a bit rough and ready though - there is a road around the parimeter of the external of the track - on either side is shale and dirt - everyone just abandons their bike on here and locks it up and goes and enjoys the fun.

Agreed about the accommodation, Simon. Just managed to sneak in my booking (Mas de la Serra, Fuentespalda) in January, when it was almost fully booked. The local infrastructure clearly isn't geared up for mass events. Interesting tip re the parking, Riktus - thanks. Did you watch from a stand? And if so, did you also have a wander around the circuit?

Been to Aragon a couple of years ago, but we drove as there were four of us. Sounds like we were in the same stand you've booked, which is a pretty good vantage point as you get to see them braking very hard into the left hander and then as they go off to your right. Lots of guys overshooting the bend or getting their lines wrong for the next one.

Eating and shopping was back down the main straight where there was a pretty large area with most things you might need. It was a bit of a pain to try getting out of the stand, down to grab some food or an ice cream and then back again before the next race though.

We had weather in the 70s although it was chilly first thing. We stayed in Zaragoza on the Saturday night and then drove in early morning. Access was much better than Catalunya with very good one way systems in and out. Not sure where the bike parks are though.

Really well run meeting with some lovely local roads.

Enjoy!

Thanks for that, Lebowski.
That's clearly the stand where we're going to be. It sounds great - I'm really looking forward to it!
Can you see any other parts of the track from there? I assume/hope that there are some big screens to allow you to see what's going on all the way around.
Cheers,
Max

Hi Si.

Do you mean the circuit itself? The only town of any size near to the circuit is Alcaniz, and that's pretty much of the one horse variety. Beyond that, it's Zaragoza, which is a fair drive away...

Nice bit of footage, Lebowski - looks brilliant. Now, how many more sleeps to go?!

Hi Si.

Do you mean the circuit itself? The only town of any size near to the circuit is Alcaniz, and that's pretty much of the one horse variety. Beyond that, it's Zaragoza, which is a fair drive away...

Nice bit of footage, Lebowski - looks brilliant. Now, how many more sleeps to go?!

Try Caspe and Mequinenza. They're both family close and have lots of accommodation for there size as there is lots of tourism based on fishing in the high reservoirs there.

Regs

Simon

Hi Si.

Hi Max, This was out RR from 2015.
Seemed fairly remote around the circuit, semi-desert like and very small towns.
Zaragoza was fantastic.
You cannot go wrong when you mix Motogp + Spain. Wonderful people.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/409964-Zaragoza-MotoGP-Santander-Moto-pistons

Totally agree Zaragoza was well worth the visit, had a really nice evening there and t's not that far, maybe 40 mins, just enough time to get the excitement bubbling as you ride in with everyone else....

If you have any problems, we might be on the other side of the mountains, but we'd be happy to help.

Ta for all the tips.

We're staying for a few days near Valderrobres, which is about 30 minutes to the South East of the circuit. Great roads and trails around there, so getting a MotoGP round in at the same time is just a bonus really. I reckon the whole area is a bit of a hidden gem. I also went and did the BMW Off Road School Spanish trip a few years ago, which covers a broadly similar part of the world (North West of Valecia, around Teruel etc) which is an absolute treasure trove of fantastic roads and trails. Loads to explore...

rode down into Aragon state where we stayed at a fantastic hotel near Valderrobres, south of Alcaniz, which is properly in the middle of nowhere.

It maybe easier for bods to find the fantastic hotel if you give its name and even a vague address. A website will do.

Did we ever discover what this hotel was called and / or its location?

Is it this one?

http://www.masdelaserra.com

We did indeed - I stuck the name and location of it in post #5. That is the one. Pricey but nice, if you want to treat yourself/your significant other. The thread was really more broadly about visiting MotoGP and the general area, but thanks for clarifying that.

Back
Top Bottom